Old August 16, 2000, 15:54   #1
OldCodger
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I need one more character for my story
For those of you who are reading "The Forgotten Faction", I have need of another character for the storyline. Well, actually I need another name for the character.

The yet-unnamed character will appear for two or possibly three chapters (similar to what I've done with most character names that I obtained from this forum). The character is a Hillbilly male (probably) in his early 20s who is going to develop a friendship with Wallace Higgins (the character is male because I don't want to marry Wallace off just yet). The role is actually somewhat pivotal to the story line.

If you have a forum "handle" that I haven't used yet and would like to volunteer, please post to this thread or drop me an e-mail. The new character will appear in about two chapters.

This is a limited time offer...

------------------
Old age and treachery: the perfect cure for youth and ambition...
OldCodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2000, 17:53   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

You have full permission to use 'Dark Cloud' the full name could be
Rodger Lawrence Cloud and he goes by 'Dark Cloud'

Just for your info that is NOT my real name.

Thank you for writing a great story. (Flattery always helps)
DarkCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2000, 20:53   #3
iMac722
Warlord

Or, if the hillbillies have access to chat rooms, you could have his screen name be iMac722

------------------
And I asked him,
What is thy name?
And he replied saying:
My Name is iMac: for we
are many..
iMac722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2000, 04:33   #4
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 01:30
A frankly unfeasible-souding nickname would be "Burbblechuff Tutu". But then people might think you were taking the piss.

------------------
Machines: outthinkable YES outfightable NO.
Men: outfightable YES outthinkable NO.
Allie Cove: outfallable INEVITABLY

Homepage http://www.enixine.dabsol.co.uk (Shared)
Alinestra Covelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2000, 09:48   #5
OldCodger
Chieftain

Looks like we have a winner. I will use DarkCloud (or some variation of it) as the character name. I will also use iMac722 as a resource as well.

As far as "Burbblechuff Tutu" is concerned, I suppose she/he could be a descendant of Desmond Tutu with very perverse parents. Or possible a half-human/half-Progenitor character (I've actually thought about that for the close of the story).

I'm not sure I understand the rest of that comment. Must be a British thing of some sort.

Weird stuff like that (and maybe taxes) is one of the major reasons that the United States is not part of the British Commonwealth .

------------------
Old August 21, 2000, 18:09   #6
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

OldCodger: Hail to a fellow Ohioian! (sp?) Glad to make your acquaintance, and may I just say that my family used to drive from Springfield OH into your fine city of Columbus every fortnight or so when I was a young'un, just to stock up on Chinese Food before hitting the Hunan House restaurant. (I wonder if that's still around?)

"Taking the piss" is a fairly universal way of saying "not being serious" or "making malicious fun of".

"Burbble" is a noise which Lewis Carrol was the first to coin, in his famous poem Jabberwocky: '...and burbled as it came!'

"Chuff" can mean intestinal wind (verb/noun), a certain small species of bird (verb, ornith.), or a female reproductive tract (noun). However, the past tense can also mean "very pleased".

This can lead to semantic difficulties when these terms are stacked, eg:

"Ooh, that little chuff doesn't looked especially chuffed. It has chuffed whilst laying an egg, which appears to have lodged in its chuff."

A similar problem is encountered with the British term knackered, which I will leave open to interpretation:

"I'm knackered. I have knackered my knackers on the knacker's knockers."

Free silly .gif to the person who answers correctly! Or possibly not.

------------------

Old August 23, 2000, 10:19   #7
OldCodger
Chieftain

Alinestra:

Thank you for clarifying your statement. I feel rather oddly chuffed by the whole discussion. I'm a bit more familiar with the term "knackered", but apparently it has a variety of meanings as well. English is such a wonderful language...

There is still a Hunan House restaurant on the north side of Columbus. I've patronized it a few times because it is one of the few places in the area that serves sizzling rice soup. I haven't been there in a while due to the fact that every road on the north side of the city is under construction, so "you can't get there from here".

By the way, your storyline is very well written and enjoyable. I hope that you will continue to work on it. Most of the fiction in this forum tends to fall into the pattern of initial enthusiasm on the part of the author, followed by a sudden realization that this is a lot more work than they thought it would be, followed by a slow fade to extinction.

------------------
Old August 23, 2000, 11:11   #8
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

OldCodger: Glad to hear somebody's still reading it! I do enjoy writing it, but I take a while longer than I'd like to just finishing off the episodes.

Right now, however, my lifestyle is turning a bit frenetic as I prepare for a journey out to Beijing. Once there, I hope I'll be able to get back to writing "Joe".

I'm glad you enjoy it, and hope that others find time to read what I have put a fair amount of serious, non-"piss-taking" effort into .

Er...

Shameless plug over with, here are the definitions of the term Knacker:

"I'm 1 knackered. I have 2 knackered my 3 knackers on the 4. knacker's 5 knockers."

1: Tired, exhausted.
2: Caused to cease working, broken.
3: Erogenous zone - men 2 women 0.
4: Person who "looks after" sick and old horses.
5: Plural of knocker, ie what you find on a door. Alternatively, erogenous zone - women 2 men 0.

------------------