View Poll Results: Hold Murmansk to Viipuri Line or fall back on Archangel?
Hold the line with no extra resources! 2 16.67%
Hold the line by buying KV-1's and AA's. 8 66.67%
Pull back to Archangel/ Tikvin 1 8.33%
Other, post below 1 8.33%
Send the next Front Commander to the Gulag immediately! 0 0%
Send the Marshall to the Gulag for bringing this up! 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 30, 2003, 12:29   #1
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 20:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Should we hold Murmansk to Viipuri Line?
Well Comrades holding open this line will not be possible if other fronts become a priority.

Should we hold the Murmansk to Viipuri Line? Or should we fall back on Archangel.

Falling back will make Tikvin hard to hold and make delivery of the Capitalist goods much longer.

Holding means we need to devote resources to this front for the Sep turn and into the future.

You decide Comrades the fate of this front commander!
Old April 30, 2003, 13:24   #2
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

Local Time: 01:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
buying a few kv1 should be ok
Old April 30, 2003, 13:44   #3
belisariu
Civilization II PBEMAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Prince

Local Time: 00:28
If Viipuri falls, the german has been acces to leningrad-archangels road, and the UK convoys cannot reach moscow or grozny, make AA,s and 1 KV1
Old April 30, 2003, 20:42   #4
EZRhino
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 17:28
Location: Sunset and the evening star And one clear call for me.
Viipuri is a critical city and must be defended. Also unless we inted to reroute the convoys to Archangelsk, we must keep the road to Murmansk open!

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!
Old April 30, 2003, 21:53   #5
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 19:28
The line needs to be held, it would be preferable if we didn't have to expend reinforcements in the area, but that's just unreasonable. Oh, and if the new front commander fails to protect the line after receiving a KV-1 or two, we'd have our first front commander being sent to the Gulag. The road from Murmansk to Leningrad HAS TO remain open
Old April 30, 2003, 22:03   #6
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 20:28
I appreciate all your empassioned words.

But remember Comrades we can not be everywhere all at once. I agree it is very desireable to keep this line open but the Archangel fall back always remains.

And you must admit it is easier to make a bunker out of Tikvin then it is to make a bunker out of Murmansk, Kanalaksha, Kitela and Viipuri AND Tikvin.

It means more units and more resources. And if the River Don Line doesn't hold those convoys wont mean a thing...............In the long run.

Food for thought comrades!
Old May 1, 2003, 02:00   #7
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 10:28
Comrades!
Let us abandon the northern wastes to the hated Facists and their Finnish lapdogs. As long as the White Sea remains ice free and the great port city of Archangel is safe in the hands of the people of the Soviet Union, we can still recieve all the capitalist supplies we will ever need.

Comrades, recall that the road from Murmansk south is long and all points along it are vunerable to the treacherous Finns. Any supplies sent down this road would be slow in arriving, if they arrive at all.

Instead, we should focus on a policy of sailing supplies past the loathsome north lands, and concentrate on landing them safely at the convienient and easily secured city of Archangel. While this will delay the arrival of the first Capitalist supplies, once the supply route is functioning properly there should be no noticable difference, with supplies arriving in Archangel every month.

Comrades, we have an easy choice here: let us not waste precious resources securing the worthless Kola Peninsula, but instead let us mock our enemies by making them sit in the snow while supply laden ships sail past their greedy eyes!
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old May 1, 2003, 02:38   #8
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Hold the line. From what the other posters have put, it seems valuable to sustain the convoy with the Allies.
Old May 1, 2003, 02:50   #9
EZRhino
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 17:28
Location: Sunset and the evening star And one clear call for me.
In light of recent events, it is imperitive that we sacrafice the Kola peninsula, for now, and use these units to reinforce Leningrad.

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!
Old May 1, 2003, 04:25   #10
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Indeed. I posted before reading the Leningrad front.

Best to protect Leningrad and retreat to Archangelsk.
Old May 1, 2003, 05:14   #11
yop73
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Why not defend Murmansk. If we let that city fall into German or Finnish hands, they will build U-boats or Destroyers and kill our laden transports. This would deprive us of the safe piece of the murmansk journey. It also would provide the Germans with an airport to attack from with Stukas and we wouldn't be able to do anything about it.
The entire Kola peninsula can't be sacrified. We must hold Murmansk.
Old May 1, 2003, 06:02   #12
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 10:28
I sort of agree with Yop - Murmansk is the only part of the Kola which can be held. However, doing even that can be hard work during the first year, and it's not really worth investing a lot of resourses in the place. Defending the entire penisular to keep the road open is impossible IMO and shouldn't even be considered.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old May 1, 2003, 06:11   #13
yop73
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

In the light of the new events (fall of Narva and siege of Leningrad), it might be better to start a new thread, involving other strategies. I'll start one.