Old April 30, 2003, 17:55   #1
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 20:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why'd we settle THERE?
We moved the scout first, right? So we would have a) known that there was a coasal tile one tile south of the settler, and that it had a fish. Was it decided that the river (which won't benefit us until later, especially as we're going to be building several settlers) was more important than giving our capitol and first city access to the sea and a fish?
Old April 30, 2003, 18:03   #2
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 00:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I dunno capital near a coast is a bad idea IMO, much better to have capital in the centre than to the side. In the current spot a ring of suburbs can be built around the capital.

otherwise the start location looks great, lots of grassland and not much jungle. A few cows/wheat would have been nice but at least theres not much jungle.
Old April 30, 2003, 18:09   #3
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:30
I like where we settled; the second city should go at the mouth of the river SouthEast of our Capitol. The fishies will feed it nicely!
Old April 30, 2003, 18:09   #4
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 18:30
Yes.

Access to the sea gains us nothing until mapmaking unless you are going to go for the Colossus, which IMO is insane on Diety. The Fish, also would not benefit the capitol until later, since it produces only 2 food under Despotism. Also, personally, I prefer my capitol away from the sea, it is generally the most productive city and I want as many land tiles, and thus shields, used as possible.

I am more than willing to hear your ideas of why having the sea and fish were a better option, though.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 30, 2003, 18:24   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 20:30
Well, it would allow us to just build a harbor (when we can) and *poof* sea trade. I didn't know the despotism restrictions applied to bonus resources .

You're right. It was better to build it where it is
Old April 30, 2003, 19:13   #6
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:30
Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
otherwise the start location looks great, lots of grassland and not much jungle. A few cows/wheat would have been nice but at least theres not much jungle.
There's no jungle near you. Those are forests.

Yes, you can and should feel free to thank us profusely.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old April 30, 2003, 22:41   #7
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 16:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Togas

There's no jungle near you. Those are forests.

--Togas
I think you should of put just one jungle tile nearby to screw with us

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old May 1, 2003, 00:53   #8
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:30
Re: Why'd we settle THERE?
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
We moved the scout first, right? So we would have a) known that there was a coasal tile one tile south of the settler, and that it had a fish. Was it decided that the river (which won't benefit us until later, especially as we're going to be building several settlers) was more important than giving our capitol and first city access to the sea and a fish?

hi ,

indeed , why did we settle so fast , ...

have a nice day
Old May 1, 2003, 12:48   #9
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 00:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Togas

--Togas
Yes a big thank you to BFM for making us this exellent map thus sacrificing early involvement and to anyone else who may have helped. I dunno I remember some one else helping in some slightly significant way but their contribution can't have been that important. I can kind of remember some guy called Lorgas or something helping but not enough to be acknowledged.

But seriously nice map so far of course there will be plenty of island hopping and the lack of cows will be made up for by the excessive iron and horses we are soon to find.
Old May 1, 2003, 13:41   #10
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 19:30
I think the capital was founded in the optimal location.
Having the capital be in a site where no aquaduct is needed is much prefered to the capital being a harbor.

Plus the capital is far enough from the ocean that the first ocean city (at least) will be in a natural location for tight city spacing instead of being shifted.
Old May 1, 2003, 18:09   #11
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:30
Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
I can kind of remember some guy called Lorgas or something helping but not enough to be acknowledged.

But seriously nice map so far of course there will be plenty of island hopping and the lack of cows will be made up for by the excessive iron and horses we are soon to find.
Eh... Lorgas? Did you put horses in the map?