View Poll Results: So, can humans controlling the minor powers beat the AI major powers?
Pfft, who needs Spain, France and Turkey, I can beat everyone with just the neutrals! 4 44.44%
With good human players working together in harmony, it can be done. 4 44.44%
Maybe you can make a significant dent on one of the big three, but no way all of them. 0 0%
You stupid? France winning a war? Don Quixote was more practical. 1 11.11%
Umm, which one was World War 2 again? 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 4, 2003, 16:23   #31
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 19:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by markusf
I want to play as the russians

Yeah... fun, but not much of a challange
Old May 5, 2003, 02:22   #32
markusf
King

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
ya, diplomats and artillery and you clear the map in a few turns.
Old May 14, 2003, 05:08   #33
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 17:32
My internet has been disconected temporarily so I thought I would give this a go as Neutrals with MGE.

The first go I concentrated on trying to hold Belgrade. I made a beautifully defended city that held off everything the Axis through at me. Then they bribed it and started pounding Stockholm so I gave that up.

Second go I figured Belgrade was a gonna, so i sold of all its improvements and bought some vet armour in Stockholm. This game got a little bit further. I managed to take Oslo and that other German city in Scandinavia. Then I just started to get pounded, didn't have any money and didn't seem to be going anywhere so started again.

This time, I just tried to defend Stockholm and build an army in Tehran. Belgrade went down again, but I managed to get three vet armour in Tehran. With this army, I captured the three ally held cities in Iraq, while stealing techs from them. Once I had these three cities the allies where getting really pissed off and I think that would have been the end of it, however at this stage both the Spanish and French were giving me tribute. With this money I was able to drive the allies completely out of the middle east. With the old capture city, cease fire get to the next city just in time to sign another cease fire.

At about this stage the allies got serious and captured my capital Stockholm. Bit of a set back, but I stole democracy, after a bunch of useless techs, (still hadn't managed to get robotics) and was able to change my government to Communism.

The russians had captured the French held middle eastern cities, and I took them and then took istanbul and finally Bucharest from the Axis after FINALLY stealing robotics.

This is where im at now. Its just a matter of letting the howitzer swarm take over now I think and they are all going to fall one by one.
I have a log and save games at home (on library internet here)

The key I think was the tribute from French and Spanish and having just the one front being able to defend essentially in one area and having a buffer zone between me and the main players. The allies were weak the middle east because they didn't have a lot of cities.
Old May 14, 2003, 12:01   #34
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 17:32
HA!

The very next turn Germans bribed Belgrade and Bucharest. Capturing my entire army of engineers, armour, diplos and howitzers completely ****ing me.
Old May 14, 2003, 13:01   #35
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 02:32
Old May 14, 2003, 15:29   #36
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 20:32
ouch...

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old May 14, 2003, 18:57   #37
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:32
@ makeo

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old May 23, 2003, 18:26   #38
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 20:32
Moker and I spent just a few minutes trying out the game on MP. He was Spain I was France, I got my ass handed to me. When I've played France by myself, or in a hotseat game by myself I can usually sue for peace with the Axis and keep them at bay for quite a while. In this game they broke every cease fire within 2-3 turns, and soon had most all of France. Grrr.

I'm sure its still very possible, but this limited trial didn't look so good.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah