Old May 1, 2003, 21:39   #1
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 00:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Auto-Bombardment
I'm alittle confused. I'm used to doing the bombardment for each unit each turn (call it a carry over from vanilla Civ 3)

When I tried out auto-bombardment today (for my bombers) they don'y seem to work.

Say on turn X, I activate a bomber and click the auto-bombard botton, I select a target (City and or a resource) and it bombs away,

After I finish all my moved on turn X, I press the space bar and the game carries out whatever needs to be done. At the beginning of turn X+1 my bombers do not auto bombard. Infact, I can go into the cities where the bombers myself and activate their bombardment again.

Any clue why this is so? or does the autobombard happen the END of turn X+1?
Old May 1, 2003, 23:04   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Usually, with the case of catapults ... artillery, the problem is with an enemy unit being or coming adjacent, which cancels orders (as set in your preferences).

As with any unit set on automatic, it is often difficult to determine WHEN the actions will be executed. Often, it is later than I want ("I want to attack NOW, like execute the bombardment already -- please!"). Also, I almost have to Sentry my assault units because I keep being prompted to move them while waiting for the auto-bombards.

So, the bottom line is: Had you waited until then end of your turn before you "decided" they weren't going to do it??
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 2, 2003, 06:07   #3
dexters
King

Ok. It looks like I have wait until the end of the turn for the damn thing to auto bombard.

Thanks for the help though.
Old May 2, 2003, 13:00   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Similar to workers on auto setting, your auto-bombards will all occur at once (sometimes even alternating between targets).

It probably WON'T be the last thing in the turn, but it would be real hard to stop them if it was the FIRST thing.

BTW, after you have made peace with your enemy, be sure to go to all your auto-bombards and "wake" them all up. If you do not, you could end up with multitudes of warning dialogs (or back at war).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 2, 2003, 14:17   #5
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
Ok. It looks like I have wait until the end of the turn for the damn thing to auto bombard.
Since I usually bombard early in a turn and attack later, I thought I'd throw in a clunky but workable solution to get your auto-bombards happening earlier if that's what you want. When your movement-turn begins, you can skip moves of active units by repeatedly pressing "w" -- the game will cycle through all your manually-controlled units and then go on to the auto-moves (and the units completing go-to orders from the last turn). After all the auto-moves (presumably including auto-bombard) are completed, the game cycles back to the first unit that you were offered at the beginning of the turn (for which you previously pushed "w").

This can be a real pain in the late game with a lot of units to order, but it should work. And I did admit it was a clunky solution .

Catt
Old May 3, 2003, 12:26   #6
Qilue
King

Local Time: 10:35
This may seem like a stupid question, but I have to ask.

Do you have "Show automatic moves" enabled?
Old May 4, 2003, 03:11   #7
dexters
King

Jaybe, seems like the auto-bombard orders are cancelled when peace is made.

I had my bombers set on auto-bombard, but they stopped after I made peace. Can anyone else confirm this?
Old May 4, 2003, 13:51   #8
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

I had three battleships (blitz enabled, so 15 bombardments) auto-bombarding and got tired of cancelling each bombardment after peace (but during the same turn as the peace treaty was signed). We were then back at war. Also this was with PTW 1.14, not 1.21.
Old May 5, 2003, 02:49   #9
dexters
King

Well, ok.

Im running 1.21