Old September 25, 2000, 22:44   #31
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Just for info: Until Googlie Returns (Mid-October) I will run the Morganites. Also if needed I will run the Hive? [LMP, is it needed?
DarkCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2000, 00:05   #32
XWaste
Prince

...well, maybe the earlier techs may be reach in about a week real time or more, but later techs will take longer to research, like the Game ...

Well, keep in mind, adding this extra level increases the complexity of the research system needed.

Trying to keep it as simple as possible, here is a proposed method.

Note - I don't see anyone lowering their research allocation below 50%, and anything over 50% doesn't count unless we want to start monitering efficiency levels etc so, I will assume that the base time for research is one week for everyone.

OK, how about this formula
Time (real days) = 7 + [(#tech-5)*2] - Facs bonus

therefore, the first six techs are free (1 week to research - no neg values in []brackets), and then each tech takes two days longer to research (7th takes 9 days, 8th takes 11 days etc...)

each research facility adds one to the facs bonus
these are

network node
biology lab
fusion lab
nanohospital
quantum lab
research hospital

punishment sphere (-1)

So imagine a faction with 7 researched techs and two network nodes, the formula would be
7+[(7-5)*2]-2
=9 days until next tech researched.

therefore, in the admin thread, we should report our research like this

techs known - list
#techs - #
facs bonus - #
day last tech researched - date
days to next discovery - #

I will alter my admin entry as an example

Note - Uni +1 to facs bonus, CC +2

Note also, for simplification, I have not included anythig to do with economy (more income-more research), that just seemed too hard.

Anyway, what does everyone think?

[This message has been edited by XWaste (edited September 26, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by XWaste (edited September 26, 2000).]
XWaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2000, 10:51   #33
[LordLMP]

I don't think we need to run the Hive, Peacekeepers and Spartans starting things up on that continent will be good enough.

As for the research thing, it is a good system just need to keep tally of research points i make then...

50% is a real week plus the extra days for the later techs - the fac bonus.
40% is two weeks, 30% three weeks.... Also the Social Research bonus also would be part of the facbonus...like lets it is +1 Research...so minus -1 on time for research for each base you have...or -2 if it is +2 research...if lets say it -2 Reseach, then you add +2 only to the amount of time it takes to research or whatever...maybe +4 or something.

-LordLMP
Old September 26, 2000, 11:25   #34
[LordLMP]

quote:

Originally posted by XWaste on 09-26-2000 12:05 AM

OK, how about this formula
Time (real days) = 7 + [(#tech-5)*2] - Facs bonus

therefore, the first five techs are free (1 week to research), and then each tech takes two days longer to research (6th takes 9 days, 7th takes 11 days etc...)

each research facility adds one to the facs bonus
these are

network node
biology lab
fusion lab
nanohospital
quantum lab
research hospital

punishment sphere (-1)

So imagine a faction with 7 researched techs and two network nodes, the formula would be
7+[(8-5)*2]-2
=11 days until next tech researched.

you said 7 researched, so where did the 8 came from?

7+[(7-5)*2]-2
7+[2*2]-2
7+ 4 - 2
7+ 2

That would be nine days. anyway, i get it...don't mind me, just not the best at math :P

quote:

therefore, in the admin thread, we should report our research like this

first, forget what i said about the social research thing... anyway...

But University gets free network node for each base...so, their facbonus is 4 in total.

-LordLMP
Old September 26, 2000, 18:11   #35
XWaste
Prince

Oh yeah, getting confused with my own formula...seven techs researched, then my brain jumped that therefore the next one is number eight...
Old September 26, 2000, 18:26   #36
XWaste
Prince

Social engineering bundled with facs bonus?
is that what you meant, pretty easy to incorprate
Fundy -2
knowledge +2
cybernetic +2
Old September 26, 2000, 18:46   #37
Argonaut
Prince

What happend to keeping it simple?????????
Some of us aren't very mathematically inclined here!
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2000, 22:18   #38
[LordLMP]

Since i was at school when i replied that...and nothing else to do, i made a little simple Visual Basic Program to calculate it aswell as translating realtime to gametime like, takes 9 real days to research, which equals 180 days/4.5 months Gametime.

if you like, i can send that program to ya

-LordLMP
Old September 27, 2000, 09:23   #39
Cyber
Warlord

Local Time: 07:31
That kind of program would be quite useful for me(Too lazy to do math ).Also,LordLMP, could you send me that map
Thanks.
Cyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2000, 20:57   #40
Argonaut
Prince

Actually, I think I've got the math figured out. I just have to keep my little equation at the bottom of my post.

How long should it take before my Network Node is finished? Colony Pod?

And how is the pop growth going to work?
Old September 28, 2000, 07:46   #41
[LordLMP]

For pop Growth, we'll increase by 1 Person Icon in each base per game year i guess.

For buildings, well, how long do you think it would take to build a Colony Pod that can carry 1,000 to 10,000 people? how do you think it would take to contruc a Network Node? How long does it take us in real life to contruct office building? how for a arena? how long for a large house? a simple building? What kind of improved techs in contruction in the game would improve contruction time?

what i am trying to say is, common sence man be realistic...realize the bases position and available resources and people to get it built, and so on. just don't have buildings to be built in a simple two game weeks :P if you go overboard, me and Moderators will tell ya

-LordLMP
Old September 28, 2000, 22:56   #42
[LordLMP]

Did everyone get the ChironMap? the ChironOverviewMap on bitmap? ChironContinentMap on bitmap? SpartanMap on bitmap?

-LOrdLMP
Old September 29, 2000, 08:16   #43
Cyber
Warlord

LordLMP- Nope, still have the chironmap.sc only, which doesn´t want to work.
Old September 29, 2000, 10:03   #44
XWaste
Prince

Got my maps fine - good work by the way
Old September 30, 2000, 15:35   #45
Cyber
Warlord

LordLMP- F*ck, just my luck!My e-mail couldn´t open the file you sent, gave me some "Proxy error".Could you send it to me again?
Thanks.
Old September 30, 2000, 18:41   #46
Argonaut
Prince

I keep getting a "Untreatable Virus" warning and hotmail won't let me download it. Would it be possible to send me a screenshot of Data Angel/Morganite/University territory?

-Argo
Old September 30, 2000, 22:13   #47
[LordLMP]

How do i send a screenshot?

-LordLMP
Old September 30, 2000, 23:09   #48
Argonaut
Prince

Just like you did with the Spartan one I thought. If you take a screen shot, and then go into something like Paint-Shop Pro, or any graphi program, you should be able to paste it from the clipboard. Do you know what I mean, because I'm not sure I'm being clear! Sorry about that.
If it's not possible that's okay. I had a look at the Spartan one (which is apparently virus free) and examined the world map in the corner. Am I right in that Morgan is North West, I'm kind of North East, Cyborgs are South West of Garland Crater, and University is around the Manifold Nexus? Just what I was guessing from the map and what people have posted. What ever you could do would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 30, 2000, 23:20   #49
[LordLMP]

The Data Angels are the two Yellow dots North of University....North West of the Manifold Nexus.

Cyborgs South West of teh Crater. Pirates in the Sea of Pholus.

-LordLMP
Old September 30, 2000, 23:20   #50
[LordLMP]

I mean, want me to just send the pic file without zip?

-LordLMP
Old October 1, 2000, 10:11   #51
Argonaut
Prince

Sure, that's worth a try.
Old October 3, 2000, 07:48   #52
[LordLMP]

Okay, i'll be gone for 2-3 days, so thats 1 - 1.5 games months time......so will try to write somethig up to keep the pirates busy during that time and write something up on what happened to teh Recon Rovers :/

-LordLMP
Old October 7, 2000, 21:50   #53
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

I understand that I am contradicting myself by saying this but:

Let us please slow the time down, at least for a while, in the Chronicle so we can develop the Cyborg-University-Et. All conflict more fully.

Thank you.

A greatful GM... )
Old October 9, 2000, 07:34   #54
Cyber
Warlord

LordLMP- How about those maps?I´m feeling a little blind here
Old October 9, 2000, 23:48   #55
XWaste
Prince

At the moment, I will not attach dates to the post, so that the only time that passes is indicated through the posts. (In response to Darkclouds idea that slow time for the current situation)

I was thinking that maybe we shouldn't date our posts at all. They will have their own time as dictated by their content. This way we can remove the confusion between the time that has passed in the game, the time that is meant to have passed, and the time associated with research etc.
This way, the posts will have their own dynamic, without interfering in the mechanics that we have established. It doesn't matter if it starts to get a bit unrealistic...the real game doesn't even pretend to have a realistic time frame. we should think about what would make this game the easiest and most fun to play. The important thing is that each part is consistant.

The only thing we might need then, is a real time model for construction. Simplicity is probably the call here, maybe not so simple as 10 minerals a day, but probably close...I leave this to the moderators, if they don't have the time then I can make a model up if they want.

Anyway, this is the discussion thread, so I thought I would put this idea up...for discussion
Old October 11, 2000, 22:47   #56
DarkCloud
staff

Getting rid of all time, would not be good, in the way of newspapers, however I am for destroying time in e-mails, etc. This should clear up issues and time problems... hopefully

-GM notes...
Old October 11, 2000, 23:04   #57
DarkCloud
staff

It seems as if Lonestar has taken over the Peacekeepers, If this is true Lonestar, please post so here...
Old October 13, 2000, 18:54   #58
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 22:31
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Hi gang:

Am now back from my extended vacation. Is it too late to assume the responsibility for the Morganites? Or should I just read up and jump right in?

Googlie
Googlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2000, 01:13   #59
[LordLMP]

quote:

Originally posted by Googlie on 10-13-2000 06:54 PM
Hi gang:

Am now back from my extended vacation. Is it too late to assume the responsibility for the Morganites? Or should I just read up and jump right in?

Googlie

Read up and Jump right in. As for how many and which techs you have and the base details and so on, you have to do it to and post it in teh Admin thread.
The locations and names of bases are already taken of, and the population aswell.

You got High Chemistry from Data Angels and all of Cyborg Techs which you don't have. That i think makes the Morganites the most advance so far. also have to pick your two starting tech and the techs you researched so far.
Also have to send ya the map, which needs updating anyway.

As for Lonestar, he needs map since SPartans and peackeepers can't run South East or whateverm water there :P

As for the dates, we'll place them, can also check the dates which the message is posted too... probebly 2120 by now :P

-LordLMP
Old October 14, 2000, 04:35   #60
XWaste
Prince

information for googlie in determining his techs - The CC have gifted the morganites with information networks. They get all my present tech once there is a successful resolution to the university conflict.