Old May 6, 2003, 19:57   #31
buster
ACDG3 CMNsACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 02:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
As it appears the mood is going towards us being accepted as a fifth faction it may be time to start the discussion about which faction.

As noted in the start given a free choice we would pick the drones - however it is not a major issue in any way so we will be perfectly hapy to accept an assigned faction be it Morgan, Believers, Gaia or whatever as long as it is not an alien faction as those play very differently.

A poll on the matter I guess could be one way of sorting it out.
Old May 6, 2003, 21:30   #32
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 17:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
Five teams would make the diplomatic aspect very interesting. And it is not always 3 and 2 or the same 3 and 2.
I don't think we would need a sixth team to balance out the Dip.
Of course, a fifth human faction might possibly find natural allies among the AI, to create three strong power blocks along a 2 - 2 - 3 alignment (it can be arranged ..................... )

Googlie
Old May 6, 2003, 23:03   #33
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 19:45
Five would probably be interesting... as long as there are guarentees they won't drop out (come to think of it, that goes for every team). I've had bad experiences with compensating for teams dropping out in lots of multiplayer games (ironically enough, the most troublesome has been diplomacy). Aside from that, though, go ahead! More players we can gloat over when they bow to our will.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old May 7, 2003, 04:03   #34
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 00:45
If they want the Drones, I say let them have the Drones. A bit different from our teams, with no massive bias (not so militaristic as the hive, but more planned than the UoP or CyCon).

Googlie: Does that mean you're on board?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 7, 2003, 10:01   #35
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

Googlie: Does that mean you're on board?
Yes - I did reply in confirmation in one of the other threads (the map one, I believe)

Have got the basic map done, just tinkering with it, and waiting for the fifth faction to be decided before I let the AI loose.

Talking of which (but this is not another formal poll) ... do you want the AI to be:

- a pushover for whoever comes into contact with them
- an irritating opponent who is like a thorn in your side
- a nuisance that can cost you a base or two (or who can trade you a tech or two)
- strong faction(s) that will make it imperative that you conquer them or ally with them
- faction(s) with a real chance at winning (unlikely against human players, but possible depending on the AI factions and the tweaks they get)

I'd sense that #4 would give you most fun

Comments?

Googlie
Old May 7, 2003, 10:07   #36
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 18:45
#4 sounds good!

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old May 7, 2003, 12:08   #37
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Personally, I would say don't beef them up much. It is a relatively small map, and most of us are unexperienced. I, and many of us, have never played PBEM at all before. Thus to make it inclusive, I would say go for something not much more beefed up than normal transcend. We have voted for your AI probe tweak, but I would say not much further.

Have pity on us n00bs who want to enjoy this. Especially sicne we want many people to join.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 7, 2003, 22:02   #38
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 01:45
I verge more towards #3 /#4 a nuisance but with whom you can negotiate.

I think you are vieing for the potential 3 alliance arrangement. 2v2v3 which is Ok and interesting.

However as Drogue says we all want to enjoy it as well.
Old May 8, 2003, 06:54   #39
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I'd go more towards #3 myself...

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 24, 2003, 06:54   #40
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

I thought I'd join the Pirates, since they are the smallest and need members. Minimal landmass now!
Old May 24, 2003, 17:09   #41
Atlantian
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
Warlord

If we ever get to have 6 factions, I support greenie
"War forced us into the seas. When we came back upon the surface, it was a ruined and desolate place. We knew that it was not long before even the most secluded spot in the seas of Earth was polluted, so we left to the the sea of stars. That is how we came to be on Chiron."
-Dameon McPherson, Leader of the Atlantians, "The Exodus"
Old May 24, 2003, 17:15   #42
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 21:45
i'm pretty sure we can't just add another faction in the middle of a PBEM. even GooglieGod isn't that powerful

EDIT: er...i mean, yes he is. please accept this sacrifice of a university faculty member, oh glorious GooglieGod
Old May 24, 2003, 20:06   #43
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Atlantian
If we ever get to have 6 factions, I support greenie
You could try to convince your pirate brothers to go green...

Old May 24, 2003, 20:21   #44
Googlie
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
i'm pretty sure we can't just add another faction in the middle of a PBEM.
yeah can't be done (can't even have humans take over one of the 2 AI, as far as I know)

A green Uni can be awesome too (I'm playing a game right now - as the Uni - where I started by the Nexus, so went green - it's 2250 and i have over 20 IoD's roaming around each with it's own little army of mindworms and spore launchers - i'm such a pest to the others)

GG (sacrifice accepted)
Old May 24, 2003, 20:24   #45
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Which Faculty Member did you take Googlie? (Just wanted to know who's having a new body cloned now)

On the Subject of Green, in my current game as the Gaians I started next to the Nexus too. That was OVERKILL. I also had abundant native life on... poor poor Lal had a shock when he met my 6 independant demon boils when he only had two bases

-Jam
Old May 24, 2003, 21:12   #46
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

I cry into my onions when humans take on poor defenceless Ai's
Old May 24, 2003, 21:25   #47
Jamski
Deity

Lal wasn't defenceless - he had 3 scout patrols and an Unity Rover.

(BTW, fill sink with cold water. Place large sieve in the sink. Cut onions underwater in the sink. Lift seive out of sink with the chopped onions - NO TEARS ! - you can also wear swimming goggles if you prefer)
Old May 24, 2003, 23:03   #48
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Lal wasn't defenceless - he had 3 scout patrols and an Unity Rover.

(BTW, fill sink with cold water. Place large sieve in the sink. Cut onions underwater in the sink. Lift seive out of sink with the chopped onions - NO TEARS ! - you can also wear swimming goggles if you prefer)
Jam, Please don't show pretend that you are better with the use of water than the Pirates or they'll ... cry some more ... You really can't do that to our friend the Pirates.

Grapefruit Garden
Old May 25, 2003, 00:47   #49
foolish_icarus
ACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsNever Ending Stories
King

i sees the hive is displaying its excellent diplomatic skills again...
best be careful lest we...err...cut off your supply of xenorum!
Old May 25, 2003, 11:29   #50
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

You see... I actually chop the onions at the bottom of the sea where they are grown, so no tears. Salted onion, very good on fish 'n chips...
Old May 27, 2003, 13:48   #51
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Which Faculty Member did you take Googlie? (Just wanted to know who's having a new body cloned now)

On the Subject of Green, in my current game as the Gaians I started next to the Nexus too. That was OVERKILL. I also had abundant native life on... poor poor Lal had a shock when he met my 6 independant demon boils when he only had two bases

-Jam
/me shudders...

Just the thought of that many boils...

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old May 27, 2003, 18:41   #52
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Bah, any FM/builder worth his/her salt has caused at least a 20-count pop of demon locusts in the late game
Old May 27, 2003, 19:06   #53
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Cedayon
Bah, any FM/builder worth his/her salt has caused at least a 20-count pop of demon locusts in the late game
Only if you try to do so...otherwise, your salt is woefully substandard!
Old May 27, 2003, 19:14   #54
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

It would be more accurate to say "in the process of learning the FM/builder approach", then... hopefully it doesn't happen once one knows what one is doing

My particular experience involved me making wayyyyy too many minerals and not knowing how to rack up clean mins... 40 demon locust swarms... *shudder* ... the defenders killed about half of them, but then pop 60+ city dropped to pop 40+.
Old July 23, 2003, 20:57   #55
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 10:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie

Yes - I did reply in confirmation in one of the other threads (the map one, I believe)

Have got the basic map done, just tinkering with it, and waiting for the fifth faction to be decided before I let the AI loose.

Talking of which (but this is not another formal poll) ... do you want the AI to be:

- a pushover for whoever comes into contact with them
- an irritating opponent who is like a thorn in your side
- a nuisance that can cost you a base or two (or who can trade you a tech or two)
- strong faction(s) that will make it imperative that you conquer them or ally with them
- faction(s) with a real chance at winning (unlikely against human players, but possible depending on the AI factions and the tweaks they get)

I'd sense that #4 would give you most fun

Comments?

Googlie
So which kind of AI was finally choosen?

Kody