Old May 5, 2003, 15:17   #1
EQandCivfanatic
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Playing the Game
Dark smoke rises from the flaming wreck of a plane. Around it are wrecks of tanks and of the course the scattered bodies holding rifles or knives in awkward positions. Flames leap from nearby trees where artillery shells landed causing the wounded to crawl away in a futile attempt to escape the deadly flames.

On this battlefield, men fought for an unknown cause, on an unknown planet, in an unknown universe. Like in our own universe, there is always a single man, sometimes alone and other times surronded by aides. He compliments himself on a battle well fought, he is a player of the game. Whether he be a Roman legion commander fighting the Germanic barbarians, a medieval king leading his troops to victory, an American general mounted on horseback watching his men charge a fortified position, an English admiral fighting the French navy, or a German panzer commander ordering fighting in the streets of Arnhem, they are all players of the game.

In this game, as in all games, there are peices. The player sometimes sacrifices, other times orders his pieces to certain death. To them it is a game and the game must be played

-A train along the Veii-Rome railroad, Empire of Rome-

The train made a sharp jolt, waking Marcus from his not-too-peaceful nap. Marcus, a soldier on leave from the 34th Rome Infantry, was riding the rails to visit his family in Veii.

He is a piece.

-Washington, America-

Abraham Lincoln sat at his desk, reviewing the latest reports from the science and military departments referring to the latest test of the new "Destroyer" prototypes against Aztec Ironclads.

He plays the game.

-3 miles outside Towanda, a formerly Iriquois city, now a city along the disputed American-Aztec border-

Sergeant Scott of the 5th New York Cavalry rode on his horse charging into battle once more against the massive amounts of Aztec knights and spearmen. In yet another battle outside of yet another Aztec city, the battle was won by the Americans, and he celebrated his leave by getting drunk in one of the "exotic" bars that the Iroquois were famous for.

He is a piece.

-43 miles off the coast of the Zulu Confederation-

Admiral Shaka laid down on his cot in the cabin of his flagship, the Zimbabwe. Having just won a game of poker against some of his subordinates, he had returned to his cabin to get a night's sleep for the challenges of the next day's entire fleet's training exercise. As the boat rocked gently back in forth by the ocean waves, Shake closed his eyes to sleep.

He plays the game.

-Chicago, America-

Captain Wells of the new Destroyer, the Invulnerable, sat in a bar a few hundred yards from where his ship was in dry-dock. He was sitting there chatting and laughing with a few shipmates. Occasionally he would look out at where his ship rested surronded by a swarm of mechanics and engineers.

He is a piece.

OOC: HOpe you liked the start. I gave up on mym last story because i stopped playing the game. So i decided to writes one on a fun game i am playing now.
Old May 5, 2003, 17:31   #2
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 01:48
Its an interesting start but its a shame you cannot see your way to finishing your other story, I was really enjoying it. However please do continue with this it seems different in its approach to anything Ive seen here so far.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old May 5, 2003, 20:32   #3
EQandCivfanatic
Chieftain

-Washington, America- 1246 AD-

With the screeching of steel against steel, the Aztec Presidential Train pulled into the station. Abraham Lincoln awaited President Montezcuma with a carridge and a large armed gaurd.

Lincoln hated his meetings with Monty. The Aztec was always irritable (not surprising as his people where continuously rioting over the conditions and the Depression raging through his nation) not to mention arrogant, even when losing. Also the Aztec religion had led to no less then 5 major wars against the Aztecs in the past 5000 years. Fortunately the wars against the Iroquois who had done their best to conquer the rest of the continent welded shut some of the rifts between America and the Aztecs.

As Montezcuma walked toward them, Lincoln thought ironically that at least he managed to get him here this time instead of him sending his body double. It was one of those secrets that just wasnt a secret, especially to one as well as informed as Lincoln.

"Welcome to Washington, Monty!" said Lincoln. "I hope the trip from Aztecea was comfortable?" "Of course, the ride was as much as to expect from a backwards nation like your own," replied Montezcuma in his typical arrogant fashion. Doing his best to keep from laughing, as America was just about to put a new weapon into action, while the Aztecs were still attempting to discover the Corporation, Lincoln said, "Perhaps we should continue to the Palace where the other leaders await us?" Monty gruffly nodded and they stepped into the waiting carridge to ride to the Great Palace of Washington.

-The Great Palace-

A strangely gathered delegation of men sat around a great table, with a giant map covering it. Wang Kon of Korea and Tokywaga of Japan stood across the room from eachother staring daggers at one another, as their nations had been at war and the central cities of their continent had been reduced to ruins by cannon and muskets. Emporer Shaka (as all Zulu emporers were called as well as many people of the actual empire) sat at the table calmly occasionally looking at his watch to watch the time pass. Hannibal of Carthage walked around in wonder occasionally poking the electric lights in wonder (Carthage was a backwards nation). The tension of the room was enormous otherwise, as they had been summoned for "world peace" in such general terms, it left them anxious for the bodygaurd that had to be left outside.

Striding in Lincoln said, "My friends from across the globe, I present you Montezcuma of the Aztec Empire. Please take your seats at the table."

"Lincoln!" Tokywaga all but shouted, "I thought we were to discuss world peace, how are we to do so without the Romans, are they not the most powerful empire in the world?" Murmers of agreement arose from the gathered leaders.

"I know this, Emporer," said Lincoln, "As i said we are to deal with world peace, which the Romans are a threat to. We must strike first." Now addressing the other gathered leader Lincoln said, "As we know our good friends the Japaneese are strong allies of the Romans, and are invited here only to deliver a message to Rome." All heads turned towards Tokywaga who was inching his way to the door. "Go back to your master, dog," said Lincoln, causing Tokywaga to all but ran away in fear for his life to his galley in the harbor. Laughing Lincoln turned to the allies of the new Anti-Roman Pact and began planning the game.
Old May 5, 2003, 23:13   #4
EQandCivfanatic
Chieftain

here's a map for those curious where things are

light blue: America
red: Rome
Green: Aztec Empire
Dark Blue: Korea
Dark Red: Japan
Yellow: Zulu Confederation
Brown: Carthagian Island Confederation
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.gif
Views:	104
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	44184  
Old May 5, 2003, 23:15   #5
EQandCivfanatic
Chieftain

OOC: Sullla on civfanatics posted this poem on my story there, which i find extremely relevant. Just though i would post it here so you could read it.

Vitai Lampada

There's a breathless hush in the Close to-night --
Ten to make and the match to win --
A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
An hour to play and the last man in.
And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his Captain's hand on his shoulder smote --
'Play up! play up! and play the game!'

The sand of the desert is sodden red, --
Red with the wreck of a square that broke; --
The Gatling's jammed and the Colonel dead,
And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
The river of death has brimmed his banks,
And England's far, and Honour a name,
But the voice of a schoolboy rallies the ranks:

This is the word that year by year,
While in her place the School is set,
Every one of her sons must hear,
And none that hears it dare forget.
This they all with a joyful mind
Bear through life like a torch in flame,
And falling fling to the host behind --

Sir Henry Newbolt (1862-1938)
Old May 5, 2003, 23:39   #6
Prince Jason
Warlord

Local Time: 16:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
As I said on civfanatics, great story with an original approach! Keep it up!

Also, could you see to it that you write longer chapters .

Jason
Old May 6, 2003, 15:04   #7
EQandCivfanatic
Chieftain

Chapter 2: The Game is Afoot
-Towanda, American Empire-

Sergeant Scott of the 3rd American Cavalry stood on the roof of the tallest building in town as part of the General Patton's guard. Patton, overviewing yet another cavalry charge on the Roman fortress less than 3 miles away. Using a telescope the attack looked like a swarm of ants running toward a dead roach only to be swiped away by the pesticide of musket fire.

The Romans had constructed this fortress during the Iroquois Wars about 200 years earlier as a staging point to capture the then Iroquois city of Towanda. Unfortunately for Rome, however, the Aztecs beat them to the punch and captured the city with a swarm of knights and medieval infantry. The fort, termed Fort Blizzard by the garrison because of its climate, which was colder than anywhere in Rome ever was at any time of year, was left intact after the war to provide a foot hold on the American-Aztec continent in case of war with either of those two nations. The fort was built strong with two walls and many musket posts for the defenders to put up a strong fight as well as some stables for the musket-armed cavalry which had been a very recent development at the time of the fort's construction. It had stood wave after wave of Iroquois attacks and continued to stand against wave after wave of American cavalry, giving a new nickname: Fort Invincable. It had only one weakness: it was unsuppliable. None of the new military technologies like the breechloading rifles or machine guns could reach the fort from Rome. Most of the troops stationed there remained supplied with muzzle-loading muskets and there were even a couple of cold-steel regiments left over from the days of the Roman Legions remaining as well.

General Patton, being an avid student of military history, knew all this and from it (not to mention the continously failing cavalry attacks against it) knew that it would be no easy feat to capture the fort. Other measures must be taken. Turning to Sergeant Scott, he said, "Sergeant, I want you to take a company of your finest men and circle the fortress to the rear gate. There a man that we have bribed will open the gate for you and let you into the fortress, you will know what to do from there. Good Luck sergeant, and may God be with you." Knowing he was dismissed, Scott began walking down the stairs to assemble his troops, leaving the general watching the charge against the fort.

To be continued later....
Old May 6, 2003, 15:17   #8
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Keep it coming
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old May 6, 2003, 22:09   #9
EQandCivfanatic
Chieftain

Chapter 2 continued...

-Fort Tundra, north of Towanda-

Moon-lit darkness covered the forests, only the hooting of owls could be heard as the pale light of the moon illuminated the snow that covered the trees and ground. In the distance a wolf howled. Lights from the fort illuminated the surronding forests, creating jumping shadows as guards holding torches walked around the outer wall. In the darkness a company of shadows moved towards the rear fortress gate.

The captain of the guard continued his patrol along the battlements, his sword of the Roman Legions clanking at his side as he walked. "Everything clear, Azale?" he shouted down to the Roman guard at the rear gates. "A-a-all clear sir!" came the reply. Poor fellow, thought the captain. Azale was a nervous fellow intially even when he had joined the Fort Tundra garrison 3 years ago. Compounded by the recent American attacks with their waves of cavalry, he always seemed close to a nervous breakdown. Dismissing Azale from his thoughts, the captain of the guard continued his patrol.

"All clear," said Azale to the company of Americans he let through the gate. The Americans were led by a tough looking veteran sergeant and all looked to be very well trained, battle-hardened men. "The barracks is about 4 dozen meters to your left, and the stables a similar distance to your right," Azale continued, "Most of the Musketmen are in the barracks, while the cavalrymen are in the stables preparing for a raid planned on Towanda itself. The Legions which had been deployed here were wiped out by your cavalry in the last assualt." Gesturing with his rifle toward the gate he had just passed through the sergeant said, "You better be leaving now, before you get caught in the next attack." "Thank you, sir," mumbled Azale who all but ran off into the moon-lit forest of snow in the direction of Towanda, and civilization. He hoped the Americans could overpower the garrison, but he doubted it.

Sergeant Scott watched the young Roman run off toward Towanda. He knew that the American government would never let him spread the story of his being bribed. If the word leaked the American, Aztec, and Zulu medias would have a field day with it. Most likely the poor Roman soldier would wind up in the Foriegn Legion or in the belly of an ironclad somewhere in the colonies.

Motioning toward two teams of men who had lugged the heavy machine guns all the way from Towanda, he silently directed them to where the Roman had indicated the barracks and stables were located. Giving the orders to set them up outside the window, they were spotted by a guard on top of the wall. Firing shots with his rifle, Scott brought the guard down quickly enough. However the alarm was raised. From the windows of the barracks and stables the American machine guns roared and the poor men and horses trapped in the barracks discovered that richotets are highly common when firing a machine gun into a stone barracks with only one window. Only a single squad of Roman cavalry escaped from the slaughter inside the fort. They were later overwhelmed by American cavalry about 30 miles to the east.

--------------------------

When the declaretion of war and the word of the seige and capture finally reached Rome, full mobilization began. In retaliation the Romans attacked the American colony of Centralia in the Western Isles. Soon the Roman foriegn ministry was swamped with declartions of war from all the nations allied with America. However, the Roman spirit stayed strong. From Rome to Zimbawbwe to Washington, bells rang for the victory to come.

The die was rolled, the cards dealt, and the peices in place. The game was afoot.
Old May 10, 2003, 20:56   #10
EQandCivfanatic
Chieftain

-Chicago, America-

The sounds of machinery and the clanking of steel rattled through the warm southern morning. Being one of the 3 only major shipyards in America, the shipyards of Chicago were constantly busy building new destroyers to assist the American fleet of only 15 ironclads and 2 destroyers. Here and there a ruined building interspersed the rest. The Romans had been raiding nonstop around Chicago with their massive fleet, causing occasional fires and disruption in the surronding industry.

Abraham Lincoln sighed. The Roman production was at least twice that of America. The smallest Roman mainland cities were still larger than the largest Allied cities. Washington itself, the largest and greatest of all the Allied cities, was only half the size of the Roman city of Veii, Rome itself even larger than that.Add that to the great factories and production lines of the Roman cities and you had a neverending stream of Roman troops and ironclads headed to the front. It was only to Aztec and Zulu naval support that America had not be invaded and overrun by the Romans. Of course the new destroyers played a great part in this, sending at least 10 Roman ironclads to the bottom of the Great Sea with only 2 of ther own men lost. Of course now, Lincoln had a plan to finally defeat the powerful Roman navy. American spies in Utica had learned of a cRoman fleet of more than 25 ironclads was headed towards the Great Chicago Bay.

Assembled within telescope range of Lincoln was the largest navy America had ever assmbled. 10 ironclads and the destroyer Invulnerable were anchored and waiting in silent preparation for the coming great battle. Already in the furthest distance one could see the columns of steam rising from the Roman ironclads, a great battle was about to begin.

COntinued....
Old May 10, 2003, 20:58   #11
EQandCivfanatic
Chieftain

Chapter 3 continued...

-Chicago Bay-

Captain Wells paced around the deck of his ship. His destroyer, the Invulnerable was easily the most powerful ship on the field. This fact, which should of made him more confident, actually made him more nervous, cause if the Roman admiral had any brains at all he would order fire upon the more powerful ships first. This would mean the Admiral Green's powerful 30 gun ironclad, the Merrimac, and the Invulnerable were going to be under heavy fire throughout the whole battle.

"Captian! Steam columns spotted to starboard horizon! At least 15 columns and growing!" shouted the lookout. "Good work, sailor," shouted Wells, "Get down from their and to your station!" Wells gave a slight nod to his first mate who yelled, "All men to battle-stations, time to show those damned Romans who's master of the ocean!" With a cheer the crew of the Invulnerable rushed to the guns, which as if of their own accord turned to face the advancing Roman fleet.

---------------------

The Roman ironclads were now visible to the naked eye, which meant they were almost in range of the guns of the Invulnerable. Wells gauged the distance and yelled, "Fire a volley at the enemy!" With a huge flash of flame, the destroyer let out a volley screaming toward the Roman ironclads. Two shells broke though one of the larger Roman ironclads sending it to the bottom. Three other Roman ships were so damaged that they most likely would sink on their own in a couple hours. Another 5 were slightly damaged. The destroyer let out another volley, sending another ironclad to the bottom of the sea. Now within cannon range of ironclads, the Romans returned fire. Most of the cannonballs which hit the steel exterior of the Invulnerablep just bounced off, however the American ironclads werent as lucky. Three American ships were sent to the bottom of the sea when shells aimed at the Invulnerable fell short or richoteted off the steel. Now with the fleets engaged in full combat, tactics were forgotten and it became a battle like the days of old, both sides fighting it out to see who would run or be destroyed first.

to be continued later...
Old May 11, 2003, 02:22   #12
Prince Jason
Warlord

Nice Nice Nice, I know its kind of evil, but im voting for the romans .

Jason
Old May 11, 2003, 04:55   #13
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Goods stuff indeed, and I too am a fan of the Romans but enough of this, please do continue with the story.
Old May 14, 2003, 14:04   #14
EQandCivfanatic
Chieftain

-Chicago, America-

Lincoln continued to observe the ongoing naval battle, which was going increasingly moreso in the Romans' favor. The great Merrimac had gone down with its cannons still firing. Numerous other American ironclads had gone down as well. All that was left standing was the Invulnerable and the Monitor, which had seen more action than any other ship in the world and still hadn't taken a hit.

The American fleet was falling further and further back towards Chicago itself, and the noise of cannon was beginning to echo in the streets. Just has he had planned it.

Folding up the telescope, Lincoln walked down the stairs from the rooftop, into the lobby of the Hilton World HQ, a grandoise name for the headquaters of a hotel company with only four locations, three of which were in Chicago and the surronding areas. Only reason Lincoln was staying there was because it was the tallest building on Chicago Bay, reaching nearly 20 stories tall.

In the lower lobby of the hotel, a makeshift headquarters had been assembled for Lincoln and his cheifs to command the battle.

"General Grant," Lincoln said to a nearby general, "I would like to go view the next stage of the battle." "Yes sir, your carridge is waiting outside, my President," replied Grant in his harsh New York accent (author's note: He wasn't from New York, actually I am pretty sure he was from somewhere in Missouri).

Upon arriving at Point Washington, a large plateau outside Chicago named for the great general who had defeated the Iroquois in battle there long ago, Lincol omnce again opened up his telescope. The battle had not died in ferocity, 2 more Roman ironclads had been sent to the bottom, while the Monitor still had not taken the hit, and the steel exterior of the Invulnerable showed only dents where the occasional cannonball had hit and bounced off.

Turning around, Lincoln, surveyed a seemingly endless line of artillery behind the bluff, all aimed at the naval battle on the horizon.

-Chicago Bay-

"Get that damned ironclad off the bow!" shouted Captain Wells. Two of the foward guns swivled to fire upon this new threat, attempting to ram the Invulnerable. A few minuites later, the threat was no more. That makes at least 9 kills for the day, thought Wells. He had lost count at about 5, as about then the battle had lost all control when the admiral went down with the Merrimac.

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, thundering sounds came from the cliffs about a mile away. With screeching noises, 3 Roman ironclads capsized and sunk to the bottom. "What the hell is going on?" yelled Wells to the telegrapher. "I don't know sir, all i am getting are repeat orders to pull back," yelled back the telegrapher. "No kidding, but pull back WHERE?" Wells all but shouted while gesturing to near misses of artillery, some right by the Invulnerable. The Monitor had gotten out just barely and was already steaming towards port. Looking across the battle, while yet two more Roman ironclads where destroyed, at the galleons the Romans used to bring up Infantry for an invasion, which had not yet taken place, and idea forumlated itself in his head.

"FULL SPEED AHEAD!" Wells shouted. Driving straight through the battlefeild, where artillery shells were still landing, occasionally destroying the odd Roman ironclad that was still afloat. Steaming straight into the midst of the Roman Galleons, the Invulnerable laid complete waste to the Roman invasion army.

Round one went to the Allies.
Old May 14, 2003, 14:36   #15
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

OMG!! all those poor Roman souls sent to bottom of the sea, Oh well on with the story.
Old May 14, 2003, 19:40   #16
Prince Jason
Warlord

Finally, a moderate size update .

Liking it very much, and waiting for more (make it soon! )

Jason
Old May 19, 2003, 22:51   #17
EQandCivfanatic
Chieftain

Chapter 4: Politics
"...American men are dying daily! Thousands of our brave sailors lay at the bottom of the sea, while tens of thousands of soldiers die against Roman machine guns! We must stop this war!" Shouted Jefferson Davis, a Senator from the Atlanta province, also leading of the Anti-War Campaign in the Senate.

As Davis continued his ranting against the war, Abraham Lincoln looked on from a special section of the building he had built specially so he could watch the Senate during debating without being called on for his opinion on matters.

Jefferson Davis had just stepped down from the Speaker Platform, leading to applause and jeers. Fortunately more of the latter, thought Lincoln with a grin. Jefferson was heavily against the war and had a radical group of assoiciated mainly from the Atlanta and New York provinces where most resentment against the war took place, occasionally with riots or strikes. Most of the time his gang of Senators were satisfied with an increase of spending for luxuries, although Lincoln knew that Jefferson would settle for nothing less than the Presidency. Another thing that was keeping Jefferson's party small was rumors that he was a communist, which made many other Senators look down upon him or outright mock and ridicule him.

As Lincoln watched the following Senate debates and the passing of a new law to regulate working hours for coal miners, his aide entered the room and said, "Mr. President, the ambassadors of the other Allied nations have arrived. Your carridge is waiting for you outside." Nodding a dismissal, Lincoln turned and walked out the door.

----------------------------------

"The Romans are advancing in the colonies onto the Zulu city of Lutieta, here," said the ambassador from Korea, "They are also launching raids upon our colonies on the Central Isle between Zululand and the Colonial Coninent, here. We have beaten the Japaneese allies of Rome and have just recieved their terms of surrender."

"That was a damn quick war," said the Aztec ambassador. "Not surprising as the only resistence was some militia with spears and the occasional rifle," agreed the Zulu ambassador.

"This is interesting information, but all of minor importance compared to what our agents in Rome have discovered," said Lincoln grabbing attention to himself and preparing to make a point.

"As you all know, the recent American invention of the new Destroyer class steel ironclads has turned the tides at sea, sending literally hundreds of Roman Ironclads to the bottom of the sea. However, the Romans are near to discovering the technology for this as well," said Lincoln, gaining stunned looks from the gathered ambassadors. "If the Romans gain these new weapons, we are doomed, there is no way we could keep trade routes open if the Romans are sabotaging it all with a fleet of destroyers," said the Korean ambassador.

"That is exactly the point," replied Lincoln, "But we know the weakness in Rome. These new ships require a certian liquid called oil, as our Zulu friends know as they recently gained these technologies themselves. If we cut off the Roman oil sources, then we will never see anything worse than the becoming obsolete ironclads at sea, allowing us complete and total victory."

"But the Romans no doubt have a secure source on their continent like they have coal and iron, or at least multiple sources like their massive amounts of horses," protested the Korean. "Correct, they have two sources of oil, one on the island of Centralia, in the Roman city south of the American city they occupied at the start of the war, also they have another on a small ice covered island south of the Roman continent, which our spies tell us the Romans dont believe to be of any strategdic importance. Centralia is beseiged by the American and Zulu navies, so that source is eliminated, however the other island still remains."

"The island was taken from us after the start of the war," began the Carthaginian ambassador, "they used mainly obsolete regiments, even scraping up some old chariots.""Even then they badly defeated us," said the ambassador with a shamed look on his face, "I guess we shoul;d have put more than militia there."

"This means they will put up little resistence to our armies," said Lincoln, "Especially the particular American army of nearly 100,000 men we have sailing south as we speak."
"Gentlemen, we are about to strike a devasting blow to the Roman Empire, but not at Veii or Utica, but at some small ice covered rock with less than 200 people on it.

"Gentlemen, we are about to strike a devasting blow against the Roman Empire. Not in the colonies, not at Veii or Utica, but at some ice covered rock closer to the ice caps than Rome. After we take this island, nothing can prevent us from total victoy."
Old May 25, 2003, 15:15   #18
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

A very good addition EQ and I'm really looking forward to some more.
Old May 25, 2003, 16:21   #19
Paulypav
Warlord

Excellent stuff.

Access to vital strategic resources has always been a key component of warfare. World War II hinged largely on access to oil supplies. Germany and Russia fought over the Caucuses and Japan's lack of oil supplies led them to go after Indonesian supplies.
Old June 15, 2003, 19:08   #20
EQandCivfanatic
Chieftain

-Off the coast of the Roman colony-province, Brundism-

Admiral Shaka, now commander of the Allied war in the Western Isles strood across the deck of the American built ironclad which had been sold to Zululand with crew a month earlier and was now being used as Shaka's flagship. To his right was the peaceful blue-green ocean with little waves and very peaceful. To his left about 600 yards away was a raging battle between a horde of Aztec knights and Roman riflemen.

Continuous flashes came from the bunkers the Romans had erected causing streams of death amongst the charging Aztec forces. Occasionally artillery shells burst in the midst of the knights sending men and horses flying in all directions and causing other wounds and deaths as the knights' swords and armor went flying in all directions impaling nearby soldiers. Not having everythingin their favor, a Roman bunker blossomed into flame as an artillery shell from a Zulu ironclad hit the ammo storage.

The Romans were being hard pressed as some Aztec knights managed to comandeer a machine gun and turn heavy fire upon the Roman troops. Upon the Aztecs entering the line of bunkers the fighting became hand-to-hand and the Aztecs were slowly driving the Romans back into the walls of Brundism.

Watching this all take place, Shaka lowered his binoculars and turned to the nearby gunner by the only cannon out of 24 on the ship that was manned and ready to fire. "Fire the cannons, Mr. Azale," Shaka said. "Yessir," said the American, pulling the rope of the cannon, letting a burst of light and a shell screaming towards the city. Shaka paused to unwatch his plan unfold.

-Roman Colony Military Northern Headquaters, City Barracks, Brundism-

The Roman general looked over the latest reports from the battle as they came in. The Aztecs were being held at the walls by 2 machine guns in the towers near the Aztec beachhead. The bunker line of cavalry and infantry had been overrun by the Aztecs. Americans were nearby in force but had made no moves to assist the Aztec army. They had lost contact with the naval forces stationed near Brundism early on in the battle and scouts reported a large naval battle to the north. The constant shelling of Brundism by the Zulu navy accounted for who had won that battle.

WHOOMP. A shell brought dust upon the heads of the headquarters staff as yet another shell justg nearly missed them. Several of the staff did their best to hold a sigh of relief.

As suddenly as it began the barrage had stopped after the firing of a lone cannon. For a moment everything in the room went on pause as all listened for a shell or the barrage to start up once more. As they waited, none of them noticed a small green sphere roll into the room through the doorway.

--------------

CRASH. The building in which the American marine through the grenade collapsed in on itself as the grenade exploded and the effect rebounded as flames struck nearby ammo boxes and rifles. Kicking open the all but destroyed door, the marine fire a long burst from his automatic rifle into the room to kill any survivors. Signally to his fellow marines the Americans moved forward through the city, removing the remaining Roman resistence.

-Central Brundism, 3 hours later-

Admiral Shaka strood through the marketplace of Brundism. The marketplace, and the rest of the city, had been all but destroyed by the combined effects of Zulu shells and the instreet fightign that had taken place when the Americans had entered the city from the rear. The only signs of life were from American and Aztecs scavanging for survivors and suvioneers from the rubble, turning to give Shaka the occasional salute.

An American marine had brought him telegrams from Zululand promoting him to General and suggesting a possible governorship after the war ended. Also a telegram from his wife said that all the talk in both America and Zululand was of Shaka and his great victory over the Romans. Shaka's future was bright.

-----------------------------

A battle had been won. The Allied populace were in celebration over the great victory. However it was only a movement of a pawn to allow the opening of a greater peice. The fighting in Brundism caused the destruction of the city, as a fient to allow for the main assault...
Old June 15, 2003, 19:41   #21
TheGuitarist
Warlord

Local Time: 19:48
Sweeet!

Keep it up, man. This is awesome!
Old June 16, 2003, 02:19   #22
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Aye laddie its sweeet! like Guitar Man says