Old May 6, 2003, 07:17   #1
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Meet the newest MoO member!
What's up ppl?

Don't know how much people in here I know, seeing as how I usually hang around in the SMAC forum, but i just wanted to say Hello to all of you. I just recently found my MoO II disk and I'm loving it! Well, just wanted to introduce myself so I'll see you guys around.

Peace, baby!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 15:07   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:50
Glad you found it. I never posted in the SMAC forum. I loved the game, but have not played in a long time. Burned out after playing non stop for a long time.
I post in CivIII from time to time, but not as much as I once did.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 15:59   #3
Kaptain Ken
Warlord

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Glad you joined us, unfortunately a number of Moo2 fans have been diverted by GalCiv and maybe a very few to Moo3, but most of them will be back. Civ2, Moo2 and SMAC(X) are the best games for us strategy lovers.
Kaptain Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 19:32   #4
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Thanks for the info guys. From what I've been hearing, Civ III isn't what it's cracked up to be. I've also been hearing that the ppl in the GalCiv forum are bashing SMAC so I'm going to stay away from there...seeing as how I'm a SMAC fan.

Once again, thanks a bunch guys!
Old May 6, 2003, 19:42   #5
Tuberski

Local Time: 19:50
Hi Franky welcome to MOO !!!!!

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."

Last edited by Tuberski; May 6, 2003 at 19:49.
Tuberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 20:48   #6
vmxa1
Deity

Well I have played them all and would say SMAC is way ahead of Galciv and I prefer Moo2 to all of them. I would say that Civ III and Smac are better games than Moo2, but Moo2 can be played in a reasonable amount of time and has stood the test of time.
I got burned out on Smac, I still play Civ III from time to time.
Old May 6, 2003, 23:45   #7
Frankychan
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
Hi Franky welcome to MOO !!!!!

ACK!
You're in here?! It's all good....but when football season comes 'round, we'll see who's right!
Old May 7, 2003, 15:22   #8
Old n Slow
Civilization II Succession Games
Prince

I've had SMAC for almost two years -- guess I'll open the box soon & play my first game. Bought Civ III about a month ago, so it is now in the pipeline -- probably three years from now. You just have to let these things ripen.
Old May 7, 2003, 16:59   #9
vmxa1
Deity

Old n Slow, they are both really Civ, so you may want more time in between those game. I liked both, but would not want to go from one to the other.
Old May 8, 2003, 02:13   #10
Frankychan
King

Old, you gotta play SMAC, it's pretty dang fun. Maybe you can join an elite group of individuals calling themselves the "Minions of Yang" (shameless plug).
Old May 8, 2003, 14:20   #11
Kaptain Ken
Warlord

Or become a CEO and buy the world. Bury Yang with money
Kaptain Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2003, 10:10   #12
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 01:50
Welcome onboard.

Might the force be with you !

Long time ago I played SMAC, though.........
Gilgamensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2003, 21:49   #13
Frankychan
King

Quote:
Or become a CEO and buy the world. Bury Yang with money
What?! I say Bah! to Morgan and his laissez-faire economics!

This past game I tried making a custom faction and got whupped BIG time. i thought there was a weapon that you could attach to your Titan ships that was a huge beam weapon? Which tech is that?
Old May 12, 2003, 06:43   #14
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

I think you are talking about the stellar converter. The one which can destroy planets (during bombardment phase). Comes fairly late in the game.....
Old May 12, 2003, 07:32   #15
Frankychan
King

Bingo! Thanks. I couldn't figure out which tech it was (loong time since I've played).....it was pretty sad cause I loaded my Titan with a whole mess of phasors and merculite missiles.....My ships were getting spanked by the Antarans. I tried to take them out with a 20 ship fleet and 2 ships made it back. Damn, that was pathetic.
Old May 12, 2003, 08:21   #16
Gilgamensch
King

You can be happy that with this configuration against the Antarans, that you had ANY survivor............

Missiles against them is a bit like water into an ocean...more or less useless

Phasors aren't to bad against the Anti's, but not so usefull as well.

The stellar converter is doing it's job OK........
But you should use the other nice devices mentioned (IRRC) by vmxa1 in one of the thread's about best configuration. Like: Achilles targeting unit and so on........
Old May 12, 2003, 14:19   #17
vmxa1
Deity

What types of ships with what design? Did you have a decent armor? HEF and Stabilizer?
Old May 13, 2003, 04:21   #18
Frankychan
King

? uh, I don't remember. I think I had phase III or IV shields and I think it was either Zortrium or Adamantium armor.
Old May 13, 2003, 04:46   #19
Gilgamensch
King

HEF, if you can't remember, High energy focus.......

And phase III shields: they are just good enough against the swarms of mosquitos in the summer
Old May 13, 2003, 13:36   #20
vmxa1
Deity

This is what Loknar has on his ship which really an ANtran ship:

Damper field - Quarters all damage, but eliminates shields (Watch for EMG)
Xentronium armor - Very cool - 10x armor and structure, resistance to armor-piercing beams, +30 ground combat
Death ray - Very cool - Good in general, unrivaled damage in EMG time frame
Black hole generator - Implodes ships, but takes space
Particle beam - Cool - Ignores shields, kicks butt with fighter garrison
Reflection field - Pretty cool - Random chance for a beam weapon return-to-sender
Spatial compressor - Sort of Cool - whacks incoming missiles, fighters, and stupid ships
Quantum detonator - Not so cool - Decent protection against capture
Neutronium bomb - Not so cool - Ground Bombardment

This means you will some serious punch to kill it.
Zort armor is not good enough to absort the damage.
HEF boost the effect of beams and so does Interial Stabilizer. You can get by with out the rest of the boost, but you need these two as a min.
Partical beams will ignore you shileds, so it does not matter which ones you have, but less than VII is weak.
I like to get X-armor from Orion to be on equal footing.
I would not go after them without disrupters, but I guess maybe phasors with all the mods coul dbe used.
The reflection filed will tooss back damage onto you with most beam weapons. IIRC stellar conveter is one that reflection does not effect. Of course if you have gotten that far you can make titans with the best hardware and a bunch of autofire disrupters and whack them.
Old May 14, 2003, 04:44   #21
Gilgamensch
King

Stellar converter is not affected by the reflection field.
I am not sure, but I think the plasma gun isn't affected either. IIRC any weapon, which damages all 4 sites simultaniesly isn't affected.........But don't count on, I might be wrong.............
Old May 15, 2003, 04:07   #22
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 08:50
Plasma guns are reflected (discovered this the hard way) but, given their large damage attenuation at range, they don't really hurt you too much in return as long as you keep your distance.

My preferred combination is almost all defensive. Damper fields with auto-repair, heavy armour and the reinforced hull do wonders for survivability. Just make sure you take out the ship with the black hole generator pretty quickly.
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 05:50   #23
Gilgamensch
King

One thing I like, when going against Anti's is a combination with Stasis field and time Warp.

You have the first strike, meaning you disable all, but one, take this one out with whatever and continue with the next one.

Also I like to capture them to get their nice armour,weapon and so on.

This way, it doesn't matter so much, how good your defence is, as you have only to fight one at the time.

It took me quite long to use damper-field and the other extras,as I always thought higher shield would be better...........
Old May 18, 2003, 03:47   #24
The Mad Monk
Emperor

There's no guarantee of getting X, Dampers or any of the other Antaran techs from Orion.

That's why I like building capture-specialized fleets and sending them after the little buggers when they appear.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2003, 05:25   #25
Frankychan
King

thanks for the help guys!

I finally got the Stellar converter. but haven't figured out how to blow up planets with it yet. When it gets to the bombard/invade/halt screen, there is no option for 'blow up planet'.

Is there a way to save more than one type of capital ship, or do I have to just overwrite my other designs?
Old May 18, 2003, 05:54   #26
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Overwrite.

I overwrite continually, as I upgrade designs, branch off into new directions, and refit. But then, I like designing ships.

Remember, you can always remake a design if you decide you need more; with technological advances, it'll probably be something you want to anyway as an upgrade.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2003, 18:00   #27
Sikander
King

Local Time: 17:50
You can also make more than one design for the same class of ship, simply use the space of another class that you aren't building. I tend to only use 2-3 classes of ship in my games, which leaves plenty of slots for designs. The hardest part of my games is when my science starts to really roll in, and I have to upgrade my ship designs constantly. It's a lot of work. Small upgrades get a numeric .1 upgrade, while important advances get a whole version # increase. Without this system I'd have to look at the weapons and other systems on every ship to remember whether it was time to send it back to the shop for an upgrade.
Sikander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2003, 05:47   #28
Gilgamensch
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
thanks for the help guys!

I finally got the Stellar converter. but haven't figured out how to blow up planets with it yet. When it gets to the bombard/invade/halt screen, there is no option for 'blow up planet'.

Is there a way to save more than one type of capital ship, or do I have to just overwrite my other designs?
For blowing up planets:

When you are get the bombing screen, IIRC, you have to say first bomb and then you should get a new button, destroy. Might be wrong, I might gonna try tonight

You can have as many designs as you want, you just edit the current one and that's it.........

For getting the changes active, you still have to upgrade your ships.

Meaning, if you already have a fleet of 5 BS's, and you want to have some other ones, change the layout and DON'T upgrade the other ones.
Old June 13, 2003, 08:27   #29
Jac de Molay
Prince

Hello fellow SMAC fanatic and welcome
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Jac de Molay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2003, 08:38   #30
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

The video for the SC blowing up the planet is pretty fantastic. Very ominous and totally worth wasting a planet just to see.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote