Old May 8, 2003, 09:36   #31
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 20:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Re: why i love the bargain bin.
Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II

If you paid more than $5 for SMAC, u got jipped. CompUSA near me is selling box full of SMAC cds for 99cents.

I paid $10 - which i now realize was high - ive since seen SMAC in a strategy pack with two other games (admittedly not ones i was keen on) for $10 .

Still I have never seen it for 99 cents. Its great to find an unusual bargain, but you can hardly count on that.
Old May 8, 2003, 09:40   #32
lord of the mark
Deity

Re: Re: why i love the bargain bin.
Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II

Anyways... I almost Never buy bargain bin games. If I really like the game, Its a priority. I must pre-order, buy the first day its out or order the japanese console version. For example, most fighting games I buy with approximately twice the cost of US versions, but I get them about 3-6 months early.

But If I have only interest in it, I'll most likely borrow it from a friend or download it and if I cant I wont play it. Besides most games that are not on my priority list usually ends up being waste of money if I buy them... even for cent. I'd probably beat it in few days and forget it (or not even finish it).

I pay way too much for too few games, but I make that up by mostly playing borrowed/downloaded ones

The games i play dont come out on console. Needless to say, they dont include "fighting games"

And I don't pirate games.
Old May 8, 2003, 09:43   #33
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Well seeing as most people here like the bargain bin I'll be awkward and offer an opposing view.

I don't like it............you have to play games that are at least a year old, and may well be more. Also if your interest is MP for instance, it is possible that you have missed the game at its prime.

Obviously buying a lot of full price games is not viable for most............but selecting the ones you really want and buying them the day they come out is my preferred choice.

Yup - there at least a year old - so what?

I see the concern for MP - i mainly play SP so its not an issue for me. Of the 3 games i mentioned, i dont think there would be any problem playing SMAC MP. I suppose it would be harder to find players for SMG/SMA and almost impossible for 1602 AD.
Old May 8, 2003, 10:01   #34
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 21:51
The MP argument is interesting, because sometimes a game generates lots of MP during its first three or four months, and then slowly vanishes from MP servers, but since I don't play MP it is not a problem for me.

There is one thing that annoys me in the bargain bin, though. Usually the games are released without a printed manual, there is only a PDF file (and I hate PDF manuals). Yes, I'm nitpicking, but I am a big fan of good manuals -- the one for GP3 is incredibly good, for instance, I still read it from time to time.
Old May 8, 2003, 11:34   #35
pg
Prince

Local Time: 19:51
another reason why bargain bin is better you can usually pick up the game along with it's expansions packs included too(wish i had done this for civ1, civ2, and civ3 )! multiplayer really is the only reason i buy games right when they come out. in certain games if you aren't around from the beginning you fall behind in skill, knowledge, levels, or community relations and you never make up for it.
Old May 8, 2003, 12:03   #36
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yup - if you can wait, the bargain bin is definitely the way to go.

BTW, one of the best gaming collections on the market today is HoMMIII Platinum collection (it has all the expansions, etc) for the HoMMIII games.

It includes something like 19 campaigns, 125 scenarios, random map generator, plus hundreds of scenarios/maps on the net at Astral Wizard. . .

For those who live in Canada, and who like Meier's Civil War games, Future Shop is selling Waterloo (based on the SMG engine) for $9.00. . .
Old May 8, 2003, 12:27   #37
lord of the mark
Deity

well at this point i buy no more than 6 games a year or so.

On my list are Baldurs Gate, Myst, MOO2, Imp1 and 2, and TOAW. That means I'm good for another year at least (and I still have only begun to explore SMG/SMA, 1602, and SMAC)

If I dont have a new PC by then, i can ask around here for other ideas. (Im think Cossacks, another wargame like Age of Rifles, etc)

Once i get a new PC I can go after such bargains as AOK, EE, EU, Shogun.

Once I'm done with them Medieval:TW, and several other games should be well into bargain territory.

Basically as long as i buy no more than 6 games a year, and there are at least 6 decent games Im interested produced each year, I should never run out of bargain bin targets.
Old May 8, 2003, 13:32   #38
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

curious - what game did you got burned on? I had two games that wouldnt load (one was AOK - MS copyprotect incompatible with my CD drive - grrrr!) but they were both from EB, so i returned them for credits.
I got Wrath of Earth (wouldn't install), Call of Cthluthus (wasn't paying attention; DOS version), and an uncountable multitude of TSR D&D games with a host of problems like poor documentation, missing copy protection codes, and mysterious crashes.
Old May 8, 2003, 14:36   #39
Leonidas
King

Quote:
On my list are Baldurs Gate, Myst, MOO2, Imp1 and 2, and TOAW. That means I'm good for another year at least (and I still have only begun to explore SMG/SMA, 1602, and SMAC)

Once i get a new PC I can go after such bargains as AOK, EE, EU, Shogun.

Once I'm done with them Medieval:TW, and several other games should be well into bargain territory.
Great games: MoO2, Imp 1 and 2, TOAW (get the Century of Warfare version).

Excellent games: AoK, EE, EU2, Shogun and Medieval. You'll have a blast. There are lots of user-made scenarios and mods for all of these games.
Old May 8, 2003, 14:45   #40
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Quote:

Imp2 is definitely no longer to be found - Ive looked - have to get it online, I think.
Thanxs for the info damn and blast
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old May 8, 2003, 19:10   #41
Leonidas
King

At the Underdogs for download:

Imperialism 1:

Link edited by me

Last edited by Leonidas; May 9, 2003 at 12:09.
Old May 8, 2003, 19:10   #42
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Re: Re: Re: why i love the bargain bin.
Quote:

The games i play dont come out on console. Needless to say, they dont include "fighting games"

And I don't pirate games.
well i do

Anyways, even for pc games. Its either black or white for me. I buy or dont buy. Starcraft, broodwar, quake III and diablo II was all bought within first 3 days of release date. I was contemplating wether to get Return to castle wolfenstein, but I didnt cause it was not enough to motivate me to buy within the first 3 days like other games. I did borrow it from a friend and played / beat it. I liked the game alot too and I can see how MP aspect was almost worth buying it... But nevertheless it never made it to the highest rank in my own little world, and I never bought it.

I used consoles as an example, because in the console world, not only can you demonstrate your insanity by preordering, you can actually modd your system for hundreds of dollars and pay twice as much for getting the game alot earlier.

I would do the same for all the pc games I bought if I had the opportunity. If I got Starcraft II 4-6 months earlier than anyone, I'd kick even those korean player's ass anytime anyday. (I once didnt import a game that I really liked.. And the skill difference between having had the chance to play for couple of months really showed. )

I understand where you're coming from, cause I have a friend thats in love with bargain bin as well. He sometimes doesnt understand why I can be so black/white minded when buying games... I'm perfectly willing to spend three times the money for same game just to have it 3 months earlier, yet not spare the $40-50 bucks that I am interested in. Overall, our style of purchasing behavior works rather works well together because he likes the kinds of games that I preorder/import but he himself will never do it and I like the kinds of bargain games he buys but can never get myself to pay for games that are anything short of perfection in my eyes..

Then there is the type who compulsively buys anything... I strongly suggest having a rich-ass friend. It helps alot.

Last edited by Zero; May 8, 2003 at 19:28.
Old May 9, 2003, 09:55   #43
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas
At the Underdogs for download:

Imperialism 1:

(edited link to well known abandonware site)
Keep the thread open. Dont defy Ming.

Last edited by lord of the mark; May 9, 2003 at 10:17.
Old May 9, 2003, 10:04   #44
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Linking to the UD's is a big 'poly no-no at the moment. I'd edit that post. PCRs and bans have been given for less.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 9, 2003, 11:11   #45
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 21:51
Only if Ming sees this. The link is there since yesterday, and no sign of mods yet.
Old May 9, 2003, 11:38   #46
lord of the mark
Deity

i see imperialism 1 listed on Ebay with starting bids at 99 cents US. Ive never purchased on Ebay, but I assume this is legitimate - so no good reason to use abandonware - better to support the second hand market.
Old May 9, 2003, 12:10   #47
Leonidas
King

Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
Linking to the UD's is a big 'poly no-no at the moment. I'd edit that post. PCRs and bans have been given for less.

-Jam
Done
Old May 11, 2003, 23:47   #48
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 17:51
yes some multiplayer games I got the day they came out.

Neverwinter Nights and Diablo2 were biggies for me. I bought those immediately.

Other single player games are fine for the bargain bins unless they are just so amazing you have to get them immediately. If they released a Baldur's Gate 3 I'd bee the first one in line.
Old May 12, 2003, 01:15   #49
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:51
Quote:
i see imperialism 1 listed on Ebay with starting bids at 99 cents US. Ive never purchased on Ebay, but I assume this is legitimate - so no good reason to use abandonware - better to support the second hand market.
If the manual is not included, beware.
Old May 12, 2003, 08:44   #50
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

wow, 99 cents? best i've found was $1.99 for a game (Rage of Mages II) and definitely was worth that expenditure. Of course my favorite was finding Warlords III for $9.99 with a (up to) $10 mail in rebate that hadn't expired

I've gotten quite a few games other games, some i've played a lot (Baulder's Gate I, Railroad Tycoon II) and some that I haven't really played yet like Total Annihilation Kingdoms and Merchant Prince II at under $4 each too. I'll give them a try eventually. Its so much easier to pick up a game you're not sure you're going to like when $3.99 than it is when its $39.99
Old May 12, 2003, 10:02   #51
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

If the manual is not included, beware.
good point
Old May 15, 2003, 23:01   #52
vee4473
King

The bargain bin is like an unexplored cave. You never know what you will find.

That's why I always have the nagging need to search through every game in a messy, unorganized wreck of a bin.

Most is junk, but every now and then you decide to dig deeper into the cd's and POOF a game that you thought was lost forever in some evil gaming black hole of obscurity appears.

After such an experience, you will find that you can't help but decide to look like some kind of ravenous hungry gaming wild dog as you digggggggggggggggggg...
Old May 17, 2003, 00:32   #53
Narz
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 16:51
They have Civ III at Costco now for about $20 or $25. Too bad I already bought it for $49 months back, and didn't even get into it...
Old May 18, 2003, 03:23   #54
The Mad Monk
Emperor

MoO2, Civ2, Total Annhilation, SMAC, SimCity2K, plenty of others.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 18, 2003, 12:36   #55
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Dont knock it! I managed to figure out Imperialism without the manual, got it for 10 bucks down at K-mart. Some other bagrin bacement goodies I found there- Rainbow 6 2, including the expantion disk for $5, Call to Power 2 for $5. Of corse none of these came with a manual, but I managed to pick my way through them.
Old May 18, 2003, 20:47   #56
vee4473
King

oh yes, i found MOO2 in the 'bin for $10.

it was just a jewel case, no printed manual (.pdf manuals seem to be the price you pay for the 'bin)
Old May 19, 2003, 01:37   #57
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vee4473
oh yes, i found MOO2 in the 'bin for $10.

it was just a jewel case, no printed manual (.pdf manuals seem to be the price you pay for the 'bin)
At least it saves a tree

Abandonware sites can be pretty good also. I found a copy of X-com (the original not the crappy sequels). Graphics aren't as good as I remember though.
Old May 19, 2003, 07:12   #58
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
Deus Ex. Bought it a couple of days ago... Spent last night (until 5 AM) playing it, need I say more?

Carolus
Old May 19, 2003, 07:19   #59
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 01:51
Great game. Where did you get to?
Old May 19, 2003, 08:45   #60
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
The Battery Park. I've just cleared out the ground level and I'm going down Clinton Castle.

But I'm playing slowly. Did the training mission twice, because I just loved the German instructor's voice at the firing range ("Gut vork!")...

I also ran around exploring a lot after finishing the first mission... Turned out to be a good thing with all the stuff and exploring bonuses I got...

Why do the terrorists always run away after discovering me? Also, they seem not to hear fire fights nearby when I'm taking out their mates... I started out in a stealth mode, but noticed I could fire away without drawing attention... In MOHAA the AI is more aggressive... I'm playing medium difficulty level, maybe that's it?

Here's a link for you:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=86513

What does the Dr prescribe?

Carolus

Last edited by Carolus Rex; May 19, 2003 at 08:52.