Old May 19, 2003, 11:11   #61
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 01:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The beauty is you have not even scratched the surface of the game.

At a time when (otherwise excellent) FPS games were being released with 10 hours of gameplay Deus Ex blew me away with the fact that it just never ends. When it does playing it will be such a way of life that you might want to replay on hard immediately. I know I did.

And yes, the enemies are a bit more alert on hard. Usually when they run away though its to hit an alarm you'd rather they didn't hit. Deus Ex is very much a stealth based game (at least that's the way I played it); especially on hard you cannot blast your way through the game.........you just 'remove' who you need to remove to proceed.
Old May 19, 2003, 12:29   #62
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 20:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
battery park? castle clinton? Deus ex takes place in lower Manhattan? tell me more about the setting - this might just be the first FPS i'll buy.
Old May 19, 2003, 12:52   #63
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
What? Those are actual places? I've never been to the States, but Battery Park certainly had a futuristic ring to it in my ears... What is it, a Civil War connection?

The technical language in the game is a bit hard to follow for a non-native speaker. I guess English taught in Swedish schools only takes you so far in computer games...

Carolus
Old May 19, 2003, 12:54   #64
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Oh, and yes, I know the Statue of Liberty exists...

Carolus
Old May 19, 2003, 13:54   #65
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Carolus Rex
What? Those are actual places? I've never been to the States, but Battery Park certainly had a futuristic ring to it in my ears... What is it, a Civil War connection?

The technical language in the game is a bit hard to follow for a non-native speaker. I guess English taught in Swedish schools only takes you so far in computer games...

Carolus

battery park is actually American revolution period. Its a lovely little park at the tip of Manhattan, surrounded by water on the south and skyscrapers on the north. thats where you get the boat to the Statue of Liberty and there are lots of memorials and stuff there. I believe there were harbor batteries there during or shortly after the Am rev (1775-1783).

Located in Battery Park is castle Clinton.

Castle Clinton dates back to the war of 1812, i believe, and early 19th c fort. in the mid-19th c, when it became militarily obsolete, it was converted into an entertainment space called "castle garden" where Jenny Lind, the "swedish nightingale" among others performed. in the late 19th c it was used as a center for processing new immigrants. When the flow of immigrant outgrew "kessel garden" (dirty garden in yiddish iiuc, a play on the name) it was converted into the New York Acquarium. That moved to Coney island around 1950 - castle garden was restored as a historic site (as a fort) and its name was restored to castle clinton.

I went to high school in lower manhattan, and enjoyed both the park and castle.
Old May 19, 2003, 13:57   #66
lord of the mark
Deity

the park is less than a mile from ground zero btw.
Old May 19, 2003, 14:09   #67
lord of the mark
Deity

do you read French, Carolus? If you do, heres a description of Battery Park from a french Deus Ex fansite.

http://home.tiscali.be/deusex/battery.htm
Old May 19, 2003, 14:11   #68
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
do you read French, Carolus? If you do, heres a description of Battery Park from a french Deus Ex fansite.

http://home.tiscali.be/deusex/battery.htm
pardon, a belgian fansite, of course.
Old May 19, 2003, 18:56   #69
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:51
i got , WC 1&2 and rainbow six in the discount bin..among others ..five buck s a pop i think
Old May 20, 2003, 05:59   #70
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
Yes, I do. Thanks for the extensive description of Battery Park and Castle Clinton, and for the link, I'll check it out.

I think you'll find these places a bit, shall we say, gloomy in Deus Ex...

BTW, you'll find the Swedish nightingale on the 50 Swedish kronor note. At least for a while, we're having a referendum in September about joining the EMU (and hence using the Euro) or not.

Carolus