View Poll Results: Which deserves more punishment?
Guy 1 11 39.29%
Guy 2 9 32.14%
Bannana 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 6, 2003, 19:46   #1
Vesayen
King

Local Time: 20:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Which person is more worthy of punishment in your eyes?
A sadistic &)!#* who kills 10 people grusemly and fully realizes how bad and wrong what he is doing is.....

OR

A general sociopath, who has no emotion(defenition of a sociopath) and grusemly kills 100 people, but dosent feel how wrong it is

Why?
Old May 6, 2003, 19:50   #2
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 19:53
Is the first person repentant?
Old May 6, 2003, 19:52   #3
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Both execution candidates.
Old May 6, 2003, 19:53   #4
Tuberski

Stupid poll. They deserve the same punishment. It's the intent to kill that is important, not how they arrive at that intent.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 6, 2003, 19:54   #5
Chieftain

Guy 1... no question. There was active hate involved. I'd rather be killed by someone who didn't mean it personally. lol
Old May 6, 2003, 19:56   #6
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 21:53
They should both be executed accordingly by firing squad. There should be no room for murderers in prisions or for that matter on the face of this earth.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old May 6, 2003, 19:59   #7
Q Classic
Emperor

Let those of you who are without sin cast the first stone, eh?
Old May 6, 2003, 19:59   #8
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:53
Hang them both and let god sort it out.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:04   #9
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:53
call me a liberal but i think numbah 2 is more deserving. But NEITHER of them should be executed for what they did, regardless of their actions.

Life sentence with labor is a better option.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 6, 2003, 20:08   #10
Giancarlo
King

Neither should be executed for what they did? Based on the severeity that is quite a odd thing to say. I would rather see both hanged by chicken wire.

Life sentence? No way.. possibility of them escaping. And they could find enjoyment in their work... so that is unacceptable.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:10   #11
Q Classic
Emperor

fez, chicken wire's too thin to hang them by...

you'd slice through their necks.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:11   #12
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
they could find enjoyment in their work
They could get off from asphyxion.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:11   #13
Giancarlo
King

Q Cubed... isn't that the point?
Old May 6, 2003, 20:15   #14
Q Classic
Emperor

fez.

perhaps.

although i personally don't know who i think is "more worthy" of punishment. both of them deserve it, after all.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:20   #15
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Nevertheless, because they killed those people doesn't make them non-human. They did these acts, but by killing them society would be just as guilty of murder as these two individuals.

A better punishment would be ostracization (sp?) from society.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:24   #16
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
Nevertheless, because they killed those people doesn't make them non-human. They did these acts, but by killing them society would be just as guilty of murder as these two individuals.

A better punishment would be ostracization (sp?) from society.
Where could we ostracize them?

Seriously, prison is not made for rehabilitation, real labor is considered cruel and unusual punishment. I don't believe what people say about death costing more than a life sentence, bullets are cheap.

What if, with the death penalty being legal, the murderer wanted to die? Should he be forced to serve life?

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 6, 2003, 20:24   #17
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 17:53
Sadists should be executed in the same way as they tortured others to death.

Psychopathic mass murderers should only get the standard execution.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:25   #18
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 18:53
I agree with the anti-death penaty feelings of Frankychan and no, i d0o not care to discuss them with the bloodthirsty

As for the case, certainly number 2 deserves more punishment. Number 1 has not only done less ahrm, but realizes the harm they have done, and can, in a sense, be rehabilitated. Candidate number 2 is a permanent threat to society and should be removed from it fast.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 6, 2003, 20:27   #19
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

neither deserves to be killed

Trite, I know, but let he who is without sin cast the first stone

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old May 6, 2003, 20:29   #20
Frankychan
King

I would not have to be literal ostracization. Maybe a form of social ostracization where they would not have any form of human interaction. I agree ( ) with you in that prisons aren't meant for rehabilitation despite the fact that rehab was what prisons were originally created for. For labor, it would not have to be real labor, but maybe something useful like refuse clean-up or some junk.

The thing that makes execution so expensive is the right to appeal. All the appeals make the sentence cost so much.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:31   #21
Giancarlo
King

Bring back Spanish inquistion methods. Keep them alive for 20 hours under extreme pain and then shoot them.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:31   #22
Frankychan
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
I agree with the anti-death penaty feelings of Frankychan and no, i d0o not care to discuss them with the bloodthirsty

As for the case, certainly number 2 deserves more punishment. Number 1 has not only done less ahrm, but realizes the harm they have done, and can, in a sense, be rehabilitated. Candidate number 2 is a permanent threat to society and should be removed from it fast.
Ex-actly! #1 should be allowed access to rehabilitation. #2 should be removed from society WITHOUT being executed.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:38   #23
raghar
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
First person should be policeman, second employed in the army. Possibly near nuclear button.
BTW why such poll and why did you evaded Bush as third option?
Old May 6, 2003, 20:40   #24
Giancarlo
King

Raghar: Get a clue...
Old May 6, 2003, 20:40   #25
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by raghar
First person should be policeman, second employed in the army. Possibly near nuclear button.
BTW why such poll and why did you evaded Bush as third option?
Take it somewhere else, or, at least, substitute Bush for #1, and Saddam for #2.

ACK!
Old May 6, 2003, 20:49   #26
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 16:53
I'd rather shoot and ask forgiveness.

Effectively, they're both equally deserving.

There's no hitch in being a sociopath - all that means is that you don't give a **** about right or wrong, or the suffering of others, it doesn't mean that you're not aware of it.

A more interesting question from a mental illness standpoint would be if Guy 2 had a number of mental illnesses (severe psychosis, schizophrenia, give the guy a whole cocktail of things out of DSM-IV), such that (a) he didn't realize what he was doing was wrong, and (b) he didn't have any awareness that to kill means permanent - i.e., he figures they'll get up later, like in the cartoons. In other words, someone who literally has no knowledge of the effect of what he's doing.

Obviously, both have to be removed from society in this scenario, too, but the question is how? Let the whiners and bloodthirsty have at each other...
Old May 6, 2003, 21:08   #27
raghar
Chieftain

Bush is too educated to be a policeman. Sadam is too tired to be in the army. It was nice idea, however.

Fez I have a clue, but... nevermind.
Old May 6, 2003, 21:21   #28
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:53
Quote:
Number 1 has not only done less ahrm, but realizes the harm they have done, and can, in a sense, be rehabilitated.
The way that I read it is that #1 knew it was wrong and bad when he killed the people gruesomely, but decided to do it anyway. I don't know if a person like that can be rehabilitated. He knew the wrongness, but did it anyway.

I'd fry 'em both. They both need to be removed from society, as MtG. Both are dangerous.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 6, 2003, 21:30   #29
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Neither should be executed for what they did? Based on the severeity that is quite a odd thing to say. I would rather see both hanged by chicken wire.

Life sentence? No way.. possibility of them escaping. And they could find enjoyment in their work... so that is unacceptable.
Hmm.......
Send them to a soviet-style prison in Siberia.

Old May 6, 2003, 21:35   #30
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

Hmm.......
Send them to a soviet-style prison in Siberia.