Old May 6, 2003, 19:47   #1
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 18:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Windows ME and backwards compatibility
My computer system uses Windows ME . . . . I have a CD with a number of card games that I had not played since before I got this computer but which worked fine on my old machine. The game requirements are windows 95 or 3.1. attempting to start it either through the start menu OR by clicking on the appropriate drive itself, always ended in failure with a flash of a message that said something about dividing a number by 0-- It sometimes offers to "install' but then does nothing if you click this choice.

Is there some easy step to allow me to play this older game??

If there is, please give it to me in simple steps as I am VERY far from being a computer whiz. Thanks for any help you might be able to give.
Old May 6, 2003, 19:49   #2
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:53
ME just plain sucks. It has problems with XP based software and old 95/98 software. 2000 is almost just as bad.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 6, 2003, 19:56   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Probably the easiest way for a non-computer whiz is to make a dos boot disk, then when you boot into dos load win3.1 and run the games from there. Of course, you will have to install a copy of win3.1 somewhere on your h/d. I don't know where it defaults to, but don't install it in your c:\windows directory - it could cause problems for WinME.

The best way would be to install XP.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:12   #4
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

So XP is backwards compatible with the old stuff ??

I agree that ME sucks-- I have learned to accept far too many inexplicable crashes and freeze-ups . It might be worthwhile to get XP but the one thing that ME does seem to run well is SMAX and I fear screwing that up
Old May 6, 2003, 20:16   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Yes. It has specific compatibility modes for 95, 98, etc that allow you to run older games. It doesn't work with all games though, so you should make a quick check in the SMAC forums that the game will still run on XP.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:19   #6
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 19:53
XP is largely backwards compatible.

to get sound for dos programs, however, you might want to download something called VDMSound, which you have to activate by right clicking on the file and then selecting the "Run with VDMS..." option.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:21   #7
Flubber
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Yes. It has specific compatibility modes for 95, 98, etc that allow you to run older games. It doesn't work with all games though, so you should make a quick check in the SMAC forums that the game will still run on XP.

People are running smax with xp with some minor modifications to the game although IP games seem to have ongoing difficulties. I'm a regular in the smac/x forums.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:26   #8
Flubber
Deity

So the early consensus is that ME is such a pile of crap that I should get XP or have a second OS such as 3.1 to use to run older games. I guess thats what I will have to do. I was hoping that I was missing some easy "click a different button in a menu" type fix.

{rant mode on} why the %&$%$#@#@ do they spew out multiple operatng systems with compatibility problems -- the %$%#%%#^ers !! {rant mode off}
Old May 6, 2003, 20:32   #9
Q Classic
Emperor

well, microsoft did badly with ME.

seems like what they did was take the basic chassis of 98, upgraded it a bit, and then cut out the dos underpinnings with a hacksaw.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:34   #10
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber
So XP is backwards compatible with the old stuff ??

I agree that ME sucks-- I have learned to accept far too many inexplicable crashes and freeze-ups . It might be worthwhile to get XP but the one thing that ME does seem to run well is SMAX and I fear screwing that up
It is with a partition. Without the partition it is hard to run a program which uses a DOS shell.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:39   #11
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

WinMe sucked ass (aside from the first implementation of System Restore), for a bunch of reasons.

Mostly, the Win9x sourcecode was messy and baroque, changing one little thing screwed up everything else. It's why they totally ditched it and moved to the far cleaner, well-designed WinNT codebase.

All of the good software engineers were diverted to work on Whistler (WinXP) as it had much higher priority.

A lot of the WinMe features were cut out before the beta (like the all new My Games subsystem, which will now debut in Windows Longhorn...), leaving some holes that never were filled.

It was a total mess, a craptastic OS...

Win98SE remains the best Win9x OS.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:46   #12
Flubber
Deity

So asher -- based on that descripytion, I am guessing that there is no easy fix so I can run my old cd card game and the best answer is to move to XP ??

What does xp cost these days anyway ??
Old May 6, 2003, 20:49   #13
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I really don't know much about running old programs, I never do it.

What I'd do is leave your WinMe installed, get a program like Partition Magic, and install Windows XP on a different partition. Then if you have a problem in XP with something, you could boot into WinMe and use it still.

I'm not sure if XP will run your game though.
Old May 6, 2003, 21:04   #14
Skanky Burns

Checking in the SMAC forum, many others are playing SMAC on XP. So yeah, that specific one will work.
Old May 6, 2003, 21:20   #15
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 16:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
ME just plain sucks. It has problems with XP based software and old 95/98 software. 2000 is almost just as bad.
Win2K trades compatibility for stability by choice - it never intended to be all things to all people, or have mass compatability across all the Windows platform products. With strictly Win2k/NT compliant software, though, it is the most stable of the Windows OS's by far.

ME is just an abortion, though. It is the least stable Windows OS by far, even going back to the pre-Win 3.0 shells. And that's saying a lot.
Old May 6, 2003, 21:28   #16
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 16:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
I really don't know much about running old programs, I never do it.

What I'd do is leave your WinMe installed, get a program like Partition Magic, and install Windows XP on a different partition. Then if you have a problem in XP with something, you could boot into WinMe and use it still.

I'm not sure if XP will run your game though.
Partition Magic Pro 7.x and 8.x both have problems moving or resizing large (8 Gig+) partitions that are mostly full. This happens a lot with FAT32 (Win9x/ME and optionally XP) and almost all the time with NTFS (WinNT and optionally 2k and XP). Some games will not install if you run NTFS, but if you have a FAT32 partition to install in, virtually all Windows games can be run under Win XP Pro.

IF you use Partition Magic Pro (I do, despite it's problems) here's a few things to help you avoid most potential problems:

Make sure you have plenty of free space before you do any repartitioning, and ideally, have a UPS or make sure you're not likely to have a power outage. (If you have to reboot in the repartitioning phase, you're screwed silly) If you need to clean junk off your hard drive, do it before playing with Partition Magic.

If you have any files for which you have a deep emotional attachment, back them up, and not to somewhere else on the same HD.

When you add a new partition to your existing drive, be sure to leave at least 2-3 gigs free space in your existing C: partition. Preferably, leave 5 or more.
Old May 7, 2003, 01:55   #17
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:53
My suggestion for you is to rollback to W98SE. Use Win98Lite on the installation, and you have a pretty good OS.

Last edited by Urban Ranger; May 7, 2003 at 02:01.
Old May 7, 2003, 02:34   #18
Seeker
Emperor

Get System Commander and switch to 'True DOS' mode.

Win ME does not have REAL plain jane DOS needed for such old games with funky memory access like Ultima 7, etc.
Old May 7, 2003, 14:01   #19
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:53
You could always dual boot into DOS if that's the case.