CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 01:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer

Where did you get this info? Got a link?
I don't have a link although I will try and find one, I have read about this in two separate books by authors acknowledged as authorities on WWII weaponry.

I believe they used a converted type VII U-boat. It would not have been too hard to build a missile tube into a sub if you took some of the other stuff out. Fuelling the missile whilst in dock, sailing out a few miles, submerging and launching the missile would be feasible. Building a system that would still work after a couple of weeks crossing the Atlantic would have been a lot harder.
Old May 8, 2003, 07:53   #32
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 00:54
Soviets never figured out how to launch a missile from a submerged sub. The US didn't figure it out right away either. It involves launching the missile through bubbles that are moving at high speed. It removes the resistance. Getting the bubbles to behave themselves and do what you want them to is the trick.

At best, the Germans launced when surfaced, but I have my doubts.
Old May 8, 2003, 08:15   #33
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 01:54
I found a link which sheds some light on the subject.

http://www.prinzeugen.com/V2.htm

It may be that my original source mixed up the small solid fuel rockets actually launched with the plan to put A4 missiles in submersible containers. Certainly the Germans were starting down the road to a ballistic missile sub but time and circumstances stopped them getting very far.
Old May 8, 2003, 08:33   #34
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Cerberus, you just showed me something about WW2 that I've never seen before. That doesn't happen much any more. Thanks!
Old May 9, 2003, 04:09   #35
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
"The Germans actually fired an A4 missile from a submerged U-boat in the Baltic in 1942 but, for whatever reason, didn't try and build a missile carrying submarine to attack the US."-Cerberus

Cerberus, I find it rather hard to buy this one. The Germans didn't have the submarine or technology to fire a V2 from a submerged submarine or even one on the surface.

Where did you get this info? Got a link?
hi ,

plans where drawn for a container to be towed by a sub , a v2 would be launched from it , .....

the germans where higly advanced to guided missiles , especially in greece and italy against allied shipping , ...

have a nice day
Old May 9, 2003, 09:32   #36
Lancer
Deity

"have a nice day"

Thank you!
Old May 9, 2003, 10:45   #37
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 19:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Someone mentioned the Iraqi's foray into giant phallic symbols...

Search for Gerald Bull, Babylon Gun, Doomsday Gun, 'Baby-lon', and you'll find some stuff.

Bull was a Canadian engineer who wanted to follow Jules Verne by making a gun capable of delivering orbital payloads.

He started with the US navy, where he built up a reputation.

Then he worked with the israelis and built them a highly effective 175mm gun which is still in use.

Then he got in bed with Saddam at a 1980s (literal) arms fair.

The prototype was successfully built and could deliver a telephone booth sized shell, but it was buried and fixed position on a track due to its enormous recoil. It could also only fire a few shots before having to be rebarreled.

The mossad assassinated him in the period immediately before the Gulf War. Baby-lon was blown up right away in Gulf I.

I would imagine the inspectors took away the components of the monster Babylon Gun.
Old May 9, 2003, 14:05   #38
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Seeker
Someone mentioned the Iraqi's foray into giant phallic symbols...

Search for Gerald Bull, Babylon Gun, Doomsday Gun, 'Baby-lon', and you'll find some stuff.

Bull was a Canadian engineer who wanted to follow Jules Verne by making a gun capable of delivering orbital payloads.

He started with the US navy, where he built up a reputation.

Then he worked with the israelis and built them a highly effective 175mm gun which is still in use.

Then he got in bed with Saddam at a 1980s (literal) arms fair.

The prototype was successfully built and could deliver a telephone booth sized shell, but it was buried and fixed position on a track due to its enormous recoil. It could also only fire a few shots before having to be rebarreled.

The mossad assassinated him in the period immediately before the Gulf War. Baby-lon was blown up right away in Gulf I.

I would imagine the inspectors took away the components of the monster Babylon Gun.
hi ,

its never been proven that the institute killed him , they have never claimed involvement , just a story launched by the belgians cause its easier to say something like this then to work on the case , .....

if babylon would have been blown away , then howe come there are pics of it with un inspectors after the first gulf war , ......

have a nice day
Old May 9, 2003, 15:35   #39
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

an intresting site with lots of info > www.feldgrau.com

have a nice day