SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 19:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Been Watching Current American Idol ?
I like that Reuben Studdard guy.

If you've been watching, who do you like that remains ?
Was your vote cut already?
Old May 7, 2003, 21:03   #2
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

American Idol is stupid and represents everything that is wrong with America.
Old May 7, 2003, 21:04   #3
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 03:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Little bit off the topic here, but I have seen a clip of this show on internet where this guy stated that he thinks he's the best, he can sing and dance. His appearance didn't look like he could dance or anything else by no offense. Then he got in front of the jury, MAN HE SUCKED! The jury had hard time not to laugh, he was doing Madonnas Like a Virgin. I mean it was so horrible it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

I felt kind of bad for the guy since everyone was laughing at him, it was a bit cruel.. but I was literally rolling on the floor laughing.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old May 7, 2003, 21:06   #4
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:59
I was unhappy when Kimberly (Caldwell) got voted off. I Texas women. I also Catholic women. Hence my wife is probably going to be a Catholic Texan, but I digress. Now I'm hoping for a Ruben/Aiken final. You gotta respect the big ears.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old May 7, 2003, 21:13   #5
Tuberski

Haven't see, or missed this show.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 7, 2003, 21:30   #6
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:59
I must confess I don't even own a TV I now make $40k a year so it is a conscious choice not to buy one. It started when I was in college and I was to poor to afford one and then latter I just decided I'd made it this long without a TV so I probably will be able to continue surviving without one.

Still it is starting to become a drag watching DVDs on my computer and my last girlfriend wasn't so impressed that I bought a $1000 fish tank but skipped a TV. One of these days I'll break down and buy one of those HDTV sets but not until there is some actual programs designed for them.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 7, 2003, 21:38   #7
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Local Time: 00:59
I like Ruben but I really like Clay. I think it's going to come down to between Ruben and Clay.
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old May 7, 2003, 21:39   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:59
I would just buy a large tv to use as my computer monitor. That way you could watch DVDs as per normal, and games would be excellent to play on a display that large!
Old May 7, 2003, 22:04   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
I would just buy a large tv to use as my computer monitor. That way you could watch DVDs as per normal, and games would be excellent to play on a display that large!
Doesn't Sony make a media center unit which hooks up your computer, TV, DVD player, and what not? I must admite I am intreged by this idea though I have no idea what I'd do with it (other then use my computer to play DVDs on the TV like you said).
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 7, 2003, 22:05   #10
Kontiki
King

1. I'm deeply ashamed to admit that I'm hooked this go 'round.

2. It's a travesty that Josh Gracen (sp?) made it as far as he did. He should have been gone about a month ago, and I think he would have been if he wasn't a Marine.

3. If Ruben doesn't win, there's some seriously ****ed up people voting. Clay is very good too, but he really is more suited for theatre than a serious music career.
Old May 7, 2003, 22:13   #11
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I must confess I don't even own a TV I now make $40k a year so it is a conscious choice not to buy one. It started when I was in college and I was to poor to afford one and then latter I just decided I'd made it this long without a TV so I probably will be able to continue surviving without one.

Still it is starting to become a drag watching DVDs on my computer and my last girlfriend wasn't so impressed that I bought a $1000 fish tank but skipped a TV. One of these days I'll break down and buy one of those HDTV sets but not until there is some actual programs designed for them.
play UT2k3 on it. I do it all the time (in compusa, not at my house.. )

I've missed alot of american idol eps. During the first one, I was like one of those retards who hated reality shows for no reasons. Now I actually think american idols is alright. Second one seemed a bit interesting cause there was a big brother who could sing. I hope he's still in it. It'd be interesting to see someone who's not fit win.
Old May 7, 2003, 22:16   #12
MLeonard
Emperor

it'll be between ruben and clay

i'm so glad josh got kicked off tonight, he should have been gone weeks ago, but the war kept him alive.

now he's DEAD

anyway... say goodbye to kimberly
Old May 7, 2003, 23:22   #13
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:59
ROOOOBEEEEENNNNNNNN

Rueben is unstoppable.

He sings with the power of God inside of him.

You can't teach that to somebody.

Mis Novias
Old May 8, 2003, 00:14   #14
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

RUUUUUUBEN!

Actually I've been talking about this every week on SDMB! Good stuff .

Quote:
2. It's a travesty that Josh Gracen (sp?) made it as far as he did. He should have been gone about a month ago, and I think he would have been if he wasn't a Marine.
God, I hate when people say this. The reason Josh has gone so far is the same reason that Kim Caldwell and Carmen went so far, he's good looking. There are plenty of teenage girls out there that want his (well, you know what).

And really, compared to some of the others (Carmen and Kim C come immediately to mind) he ain't that bad.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 8, 2003, 09:01   #15
DaShi
Emperor

I miss Carmen. She couldn't sing at all, but she was so damn cute trying.
Old May 8, 2003, 09:03   #16
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

You people need to watch a different show. Seriously!
Old May 8, 2003, 09:09   #17
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I've been forced to watch by my wife and daughter....I swear.

Yes Josh was overdue. Some people do forget how popular country western is. And as a country western signer, Josh was pretty good. I think that contributed into why he lasted so long. (on top of being a marine and a decent looking white guy)

If any of the last three win, I won't complain. They all have good enough talent and the American public doesn't always vote for the best. (even though they did this week) Kimberly and Clay have the best voices, but Ruuuuuuuuben has the style. But I agree that I hope it comes down to a showdown between C and R.
Old May 8, 2003, 09:09   #18
DaShi
Emperor

It's something to watch before Angel.
Old May 8, 2003, 09:14   #19
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Not RAH!! they have you??!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!
Old May 8, 2003, 09:29   #20
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Jeez, Sava. Ease up, bud.

I'm with Kontiki. Didn't watch last time, but have been watching all this go-around.

That Simon. He's a crack-up.
Old May 8, 2003, 09:29   #21
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Generally I have control of the remote, but it's hard when both my daughter and wife 'firmly' push for it. I usually read on the couch while it's on. But with anything like this, after awhile you get sucked in. And even though I not a big fan of a lot of songs that they sing, C and R are quite good entertainers. And finally, it was fun to watch all the "pretty" people, go down in flames.

RAH
And I'm a big fan of "24" which both my wife and daughter don't like, but they can't ***** if we just finished watching Idol.
Old May 8, 2003, 10:30   #22
Kontiki
King

Slightly off topic, but I had honestly never heard of Kelly Clarkson before I started watching this year's AI. I'm not sure if she was a purely US-based phenomenon or my general lack of attention to pop music obscured my view of her. I couldn't believe it when they said that she set some sort of record for number of albums sold in one week or something like that!
Old May 8, 2003, 10:34   #23
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Texas girl.

No one has heard of any of these people, until A.I.
Old May 8, 2003, 10:47   #24
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Kontiki
Slightly off topic, but I had honestly never heard of Kelly Clarkson before I started watching this year's AI. I'm not sure if she was a purely US-based phenomenon or my general lack of attention to pop music obscured my view of her. I couldn't believe it when they said that she set some sort of record for number of albums sold in one week or something like that!
Yes, at one point she had the number 1 album in the US and the current group singing that patriotic pap that they recorded was the number one single in the US. Actually quite impressive for a self promoting reality show.
Old May 8, 2003, 10:53   #25
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:59
Is that a show where superstar wanabees have to show their prowess once a week, and one competitor gets voted out each week ?

There was this kind of show in Germany that ended recently. I think they have elected the left guy as the superstar (I may be wrong) :

It has also started in France, but it has stopped in the first weeks, because nobody watched
Old May 8, 2003, 11:07   #26
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 18:59
Sava

I don't get why you hate this so much. There are so many far worse shows on TV. All that happens here is that reasonably talented people sing "pop" songs. I often see the performances on Tuesdays but never the vote-off show.

I was glad to hear of the result last night. Its ironic that Josh had given much worse performances in previous weeks and survived and then is eliminated after one of his better nights, but the other 3 have been consistently better. It seems like good looks kept some people in the competition longer than their singing talents warranted ( can you say CARMEN ?) but IMHO the best 3 singers remain and I could not quarrel with any of them winning. My favorite is Clay though.

As for Idol 1, I thought that it was a mistake that Tamara did not win but I can see that it hasn't hurt her given her ongoing stint on Boston Public.
Old May 8, 2003, 11:15   #27
Japher
Emperor

I like Rube too. I think he is going to win, mainly because he knows how to make ppl like him. Heck, he already has his own trademark with the 205 thing.

I do think if it came down to raw talent, however, that it would be between Clay and the Kimberly that is left.

Oh well, I am just glad they got rid of Tamira... I hope never to see that girl again, she freaks me out. STOP TAPPING!!!

Actually, I never watch the show...
Old May 8, 2003, 13:59   #28
rah
lifer
Just another peon

If you want to see Tamira, you can always watch Boston Public.
Old May 8, 2003, 14:01   #29
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Sava

I don't get why you hate this so much.
I hate commercialized "culture"
Old May 8, 2003, 14:55   #30
Kontiki
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Texas girl.

No one has heard of any of these people, until A.I.
That's not quite what I meant. I meant that until THIS CURRENT run of AI, I had never heard of her, even with her success following the LAST AI.