Old May 8, 2003, 14:59   #31
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 00:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I hate Boston Public too, and her being on it makes it worse.

That stupid show makes teachers out to be wh0re, slutz, pimps, and all around bad ppl... My wife taught high school for two year, and she assures me that it is nothing like that... I hope she isn't lying.
Old May 8, 2003, 15:19   #32
gunkulator
Prince

Local Time: 19:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ruben is overrated. He does the same thing every week and the judges automatically kiss his butt. On this week's episode the BeeGee songs finally exposed what a poor vocal range he has. He can't dance or move at all. He just kinda shuffles between his feet. For variety, Ruben occasionally sticks out his right hand instead of his left.

Josh had to go. Nice guy but even more limited than Ruben.

I like Kim better every week. She's quite pretty but the stylists always put her in dumpy outfits.

Clay should win if there's any justice in this thing. He can sing circles around the whole group. His range, pitch and dynamics clearly outmatch the others.
Old May 8, 2003, 15:20   #33
DaShi
Emperor

But did she teach high school in Boston?
Old May 8, 2003, 15:23   #34
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Clay should win if there's any justice in this thing. He can sing circles around the whole group. His range, pitch and dynamics clearly outmatch the others.
Yeah, but would he make a good idol. I think he would make a great broadway performer, but a pop idol? All I can say is I am no longer voting... Wait, I never vote!

Quote:
But did she teach high school in Boston?
No. Everyone knows that teachers from Boston are tramps.
Old May 8, 2003, 15:35   #35
gunkulator
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher

Yeah, but would he make a good idol. I think he would make a great broadway performer, but a pop idol? All I can say is I am no longer voting... Wait, I never vote!
Clay has image problems, no doubt, however I can't really see the other two filling the idol role either. Ruben is more of an R&B singer than a pop singer. He looks awkward during the ensemble pieces. He never looks convincing singing hit music. Kim tries hard and could probably be trained to pull it off. Clay seems like a natural showman. Unlike the others, he needs to tone it down rather than build it up.
Old May 8, 2003, 15:53   #36
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:59
Quote:
He can't dance or move at all.
HE'S LIKE 300 POUNDS! I'd like to see you move or dance when you are that fat .

Quote:
He has a Broadway voice (Broadway Clay) in a pop competition. The singing style for the genre's isn't the same! He sings everything like he's on stage, instead of as a 'pop' song And American Idol is a pop competition (which is why I think Simon was very very happy that a country singer like Josh was kicked).

On the other hand, R&B is pop and has been for the last 5-10 years. Ruben fits in perfectly into the pop setting.

It's gotta be Ruben! RUUUUUBEN!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 8, 2003, 16:00   #37
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by gunkulator

I like Kim better every week. She's quite pretty but the stylists always put her in dumpy outfits.
Kim looked like a pig at the beginning. The stylists have done an excellent job on her. But they can't hide her excess weight so they put her in outfits that do their best. Suittype coats that cut in at the waist but hide what's lower. Pants to hide her legs. The best work has been on her hair.

RAH
Old May 8, 2003, 16:01   #38
gunkulator
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
HE'S LIKE 300 POUNDS! I'd like to see you move or dance when you are that fat .
I'd say that's at least one strike against. Probably more because, honestly, he looks like a 45 year old man just because of his weight. It's clear that the producers are having trouble finding outfits for him. Last time he looked like he was wearing pajamas.

Quote:
He has a Broadway voice (Broadway Clay) in a pop competition. The singing style for the genre's isn't the same! He sings everything like he's on stage, instead of as a 'pop' song And American Idol is a pop competition (which is why I think Simon was very very happy that a country singer like Josh was kicked).
Agreed. However it's still the case that if anything, Clay needs to tone it down while the others need to kick it up. Both Kim and Ruben seem lifeless on stage - Ruben more so than Kim.

Quote:
On the other hand, R&B is pop and has been for the last 5-10 years. Ruben fits in perfectly into the pop setting.
Yes and no. There's also been a significant country/pop crossover, however that wasn't enough to save Josh, just like R&B won't be enough to save Ruben. Clay is more flexible.
Old May 8, 2003, 16:07   #39
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
There's also been a significant country/pop crossover, however that wasn't enough to save Josh, just like R&B won't be enough to save Ruben.
Of course it will! Ruben will finish as the American Idol . He's more 'pop'ish than Broadway Clay.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old May 8, 2003, 16:10   #40
DaShi
Emperor

Ruben's already been in the bottom two. Clay has always been safe. The best bet is that a lot of Kim fans will switch over to Ruben when she's tossed.
Old May 8, 2003, 16:20   #41
gunkulator
Prince

Actually any of the final three is worthy, I just think Clay is the best.

But forget those guys, my biggest beef with the show is the judges. or 2 out of the 3 anyway. You know who they are because they always give the same review:

"Well, you did your thing dog. I respect that."

and

"I'm such a big fan. You look great. I love you."
Old May 8, 2003, 16:21   #42
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
my biggest beef with the show is the judges. or 2 out of the 3 anyway.

Though Randy isn't that bad. He'll tell you when you sucked. Though his slang is pretty annoying.
Old May 8, 2003, 16:36   #43
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

I hate to say, sort of , but I LIKE Simon.
Old May 8, 2003, 16:42   #44
Japher
Emperor

My wife thinks Simon is gay, and if he isn't he should become gay. I thought that a little weird, coming from her. I mean I am the one who usually say crap like that, and then gets in trouble for it.:blah:
Old May 8, 2003, 16:44   #45
gunkulator
Prince

Simon rocks! He's the only one willing to tell these would-be Cinderellas the truth, or at least his version of the truth. Randy is kinda random in his comments. He has a huge blind spot for Ruben and has yet to say anything bad about him. Paula is on the wrong show. It's OK to be critical. This isn't Dr. Phil.
Old May 8, 2003, 16:45   #46
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Clay.
Old May 8, 2003, 21:12   #47
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
My wife thinks Simon is gay, and if he isn't he should become gay.
He has HOOOOT girlfriend! I'd be gay if I could screw girls like that .
Old May 8, 2003, 21:39   #48
Kontiki
King

Paula's main problem is that she can't seem to grasp that someone has to get voted off every week (or two, as was the case earlier). She loves everyone, but is blind to the fact that, by definition of the contest, someone has to be the worst each week.

I don't get Randy sometimes. He will occasionally be a straight shooter, but I expect more from him as someone who has produced some major names. Simon is just brutally honest, and he might as well be. He has made some serious stars (IIRC, he was behind the Spice Girls, among others) and it's his record lable that the winners get signed to. I've always thought that the contestants were idiots when they criticized his judgement. I understand that they do it sometimes to try to score some "edginess" points, but come on - I think he knows a little better than some wannabe singer what it takes to be successful in the music industry.
Old May 8, 2003, 21:41   #49
Kontiki
King

BTW, Ruben is WAY over 300 pounds. I'd say he's north of 400. Look at him when he stands next to Ryan Seacrest (or anyone else) - he's pretty tall, and seriously more than twice as wide.
Old May 8, 2003, 23:07   #50
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:59
I think Paula is great and a necessary balance.

Simon rips on people so much that you need a cheerleader to pick them back up. Sortof a good cop bad cop thing.

Mis Novias
Old May 8, 2003, 23:49   #51
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

I was watching one on the talk shows this morning and the girl said she saw Simon and Paula holding hands back stage and when confronted about it they both denied that they were holding hands. Could something be fishy in denmark?
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old May 8, 2003, 23:51   #52
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

God and wouldn't you hate to be his girlfriend! Could you imagine if you didn't perform right in bed or if he didn't get off. Simon: Well I have to be brutally honest.....that was horrible that was the absolute worst bj I've ever gotten."
Old May 8, 2003, 23:53   #53
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:59
I think alot of women like the IDEA of being with a guy like Simon who "says what he thinks." That is, until he starts saying that stuff to them.

Mis Novias
Old May 8, 2003, 23:57   #54
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Simon has a suck a$$ job and he's good at it. Someone has to be the bad guy. It just has to happen. And sometimes I hate to admit it but he's right. Sometimes they don't come up to snuff and need to be told. I just think he could be a more tactful bad guy. But again someone has to be.
Old May 9, 2003, 02:37   #55
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Of course someone has to be the bad guy, and why not pick the guy who's studio is PRODUCING the album itself. He has a stake in the final result, so of course he's gonna be mean. I bet you if you went around to record talent scouts and sang for them, they'd be pretty cruel as well.
Old May 9, 2003, 08:27   #56
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Even When Simon gets mean, I find myself agreeing with him about 80% of the time. Paula is useless. At least the "DAWG" is sometimes critical.
Old May 9, 2003, 08:46   #57
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

See that's what I was saying earlier....I don't particularly like the way he does it but I have to admit alot of the time he's right. Makes more sense now if his company is producing the record then yeah....if I was in his shoes I think I'd be tactful but give them the boot if they match the standard of whats out there because really thats what it's about. You don't want to put out a bad "product" so to speak.
Old May 9, 2003, 09:37   #58
rah
lifer
Just another peon

He sometimes shows a little tact. Like when he was ragging Clay for his facial expressions. But since it is about the rating game, I'm sure he's encouraged to be outragous by the producers. This show has made the three of them millions and millions of dollars.
Old May 9, 2003, 09:46   #59
Japher
Emperor

I have nothing against Simon, the only time I disagree with him is when he tells someone they did a good job

Paula would tell a howling dog; "You have good tone, but you need to work on your range... Good effort. Nice."

When Randy gets mean, I like him more.
Old May 9, 2003, 20:49   #60
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 17:59
I think it's gonna be Clay, although Reuben's right on his tail.

The sad thing about Josh, Treynice [sp?], Carmen and Julia is that they all got kicked off after giving their best performances.

Simon's a kick. He'll say something like, "That was the worst performance of the competition. You sounded like a beer bottle being ground up in a garbage disposal." [Boos] "But I didn't mean it as an insult. I'm just saying you're capible of better."