Old May 8, 2003, 03:22   #31
Uncle Sparky
NationStates
King

Local Time: 19:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think 7½ minutes of dead air with the caption "Bush's Brain" would have been funnier. CNN needs new writers.
... and this is sweeps week in the US, isn't it ?
Old May 8, 2003, 03:39   #32
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 16:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
Aliens built the pyramids!

They did, you know. That's why that eye with the death rays shooting from it on the back of the dollar bill.
Old May 8, 2003, 05:14   #33
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 03:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
They're in the US gov! No wonder Bush Jr. is aiming for world domination...
Old May 8, 2003, 06:15   #34
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 10:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
I think 7½ minutes of dead air with the caption "Bush's Brain" would have been funnier.
The funny part being 7 and a half seconds would have been factual.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old May 8, 2003, 08:00   #35
Elden
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:29
The funny part is the caption/title of this thread is named after something that doesn't seem to exist: "President Bush's Brain"
Old May 8, 2003, 08:05   #36
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:59
CNN has some really sloppy, incompentent, and (apparently) malcontented people working there. I don't think this is about bias, Lancer, as so much about a lack of basic competency and work skills at CNN, especially in the captioning department - remember, these were the same gang of idiots who said that the Shuttle was going 18 times the speed of light when it broke up.

Last edited by JohnT; May 8, 2003 at 08:34.
Old May 8, 2003, 08:06   #37
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Lancer, do you forget the Clinton years so easily? CNN, like all media, is critical of the president in power. BIG SURPRISE... For instance, Clinton was attacked on his draft-dodging constantly. In fact, every time he went to a military event, the topic came up. But yet, Bush is playing Top Gun and nobody seems to care that he dodged real military service. He just did it the rich Texas kid way.

FoxNews has infected your brain.
Old May 8, 2003, 08:37   #38
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 00:59
Sava, he served in something. I heard it today, don't recall. Air national guard maybe? He went awol for a year though. That beats my record.

Elden, blah blah blah.

JohnT, thanks I'd forgotten the speed of light thing.
Old May 8, 2003, 08:40   #39
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Sava, he served in something. I heard it today, don't recall. Air national guard maybe? He went awol for a year though. That beats my record.
Yeah, he served in the "Champagne" division of the Texas National Guard where he flew outdated jets and pretty much did nothing. Even with that cushy post, he wasn't happy. That's why he went AWOL to satisfy his coke habit.

My point being, everyone bashed Clinton, yet I don't recall everyone claiming CNN was biased then.

EDIT: This jet thing got me thinking (which is dangerous). The media is always showing picture of Saddam holding guns, in military uniforms, citing how he is a militaristic guy. Bush was in a Navy jet. I don't see a difference between the two.
Old May 8, 2003, 09:12   #40
uh Clem
King

Local Time: 18:59
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
CNN has some really sloppy, incompentent, and (apparently) malcontented people working there. I don't think this is about bias, Lancer, as so much about a lack of basic competency and work skills at CNN, especially in the captioning department - remember, these were the same gang of idiots who said that the Shuttle was going 18 times the speed of light when it broke up.
That pales compared to the CNN interview with black Republican activist, Niger Innis. They misspelled his first name...I probably don't have to tell you how. About a year and a half ago IIRC.

Also there have been those maps with Switzerland identified as Czechoslovakia or vice versa.

Sheeesh.

Edit: Innis was MSNBC, not CNN.

Last edited by uh Clem; May 8, 2003 at 10:06.
Old May 8, 2003, 21:03   #41
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

CNN is spawn of the devil.
Old May 8, 2003, 21:11   #42
GePap
Emperor

Yeah, CNN is such a liberal hotbed that they made a big stink about how the USS Lincoln was so close to shore when Bush landed on it that they cameras all picked an angle to make sure the people could not see san Diego in the background (which meant turning the ship around), also of course provingt that the reason gievn for why Bush had to land on a jet and not go by Chopper (carrier to far out at sea) was utter sh1t. Oh wait, they didn;t say that...silly me, they are really hot beds of pro-Lancerist thought!
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 8, 2003, 21:24   #43
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 10:59
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
I don't think this is about bias, Lancer, as so much about a lack of basic competency and work skills at CNN.
I agree with John. This isn't about bias, its about shoddy journalism. CNN is awful.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old May 8, 2003, 22:09   #44
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

this is turning into one of those X news is left/right thread

News sucks. None of them can be unbiased. I suggest you live in a cave and hear the latest gossips from word of mouth.
Old May 8, 2003, 22:26   #45
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Yeah, CNN is such a liberal hotbed that they made a big stink about how the USS Lincoln was so close to shore when Bush landed on it that they cameras all picked an angle to make sure the people could not see san Diego in the background (which meant turning the ship around), also of course provingt that the reason gievn for why Bush had to land on a jet and not go by Chopper (carrier to far out at sea) was utter sh1t. Oh wait, they didn;t say that...silly me, they are really hot beds of pro-Lancerist thought!
Why is it important for Democrats to attack Bush on the carrier landing? I assumed it was something he really wanted to do -- for he fun of it. But, at the same time, carrier landings are extremely dangerous. It was almost foolish for the president to do such a thing.

But, ever since the landing, CNN and the Democrats have made this a major issue. They have been complaining severely about the grandstanding and about the fact that he actually wore a military flight suit. The crassness of Democrat carpers is simply amazing to me.

But CNN's obvious bias against Bush is extremely grating on this American because they purportedly are "objective." They are not. I only wish they would simply label themselves as the Democrat party network.
Old May 8, 2003, 22:37   #46
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 17:59
Re: Re: "President Bush's Brain"
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
How about "think-tank" to describe groups like RAND Corporation, the Brookings Institute and the Hoover Institute?

MY MOM WORKS THERE!!! WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO. GOOOOOOOOO HOOVER! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

go hoover, go hoover, its your birthday, go hoover

hoover institution rocks.
Old May 8, 2003, 22:42   #47
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Why is it important for Democrats to attack Bush on the carrier landing? I assumed it was something he really wanted to do -- for he fun of it. But, at the same time, carrier landings are extremely dangerous. It was almost foolish for the president to do such a thing.
Actually, you could see the Lincoln easily for two full days before the speech, hanging out just a few miles north of the Coronado Islands, barely out of the US territorial limit. From the elevation of the position in Playas where I could see it and the extent of it being "hull up" over the horizon, it was between 15-16 miles off shore.

Quote:
But, ever since the landing, CNN and the Democrats have made this a major issue. They have been complaining severely about the grandstanding and about the fact that he actually wore a military flight suit. The crassness of Democrat carpers is simply amazing to me.
These little junkets cost the taxpayers a lot of money. When we're in a recession and having huge budget deficits, the President could set a better example of fiscal responsibility. If he wanted to greet troops, I'm sure there were plenty returning to Camp Lejeune, NC, but that isn't a political battleground state in '04, it's missing about 40 electoral votes, and it isn't the sort of grandstanding photo-op that a needless carrier landing is.

It wouldn't be any more appropriate if a Democrat had done it.
Old May 8, 2003, 22:52   #48
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

But CNN's obvious bias against Bush is extremely grating on this American because they purportedly are "objective." They are not. I only wish they would simply label themselves as the Democrat party network.
ned, time to come back to reality. now if this had been a democrat that had done it you can be sure there would have been the SAME amount of coverage on CNN. Nevermind the immolation the democrat would have gotten on Fox News.

If you think otherwise you aparently missed the final years of the clinton administration when CNN took every opportunity to report on clintons sexual forays and have rightwing talking heads on to condemn him. maybe you were in a rightwing indoctrination camp at the time. maybe you were in a cult like the GOP? who knows?
Old May 8, 2003, 23:20   #49
Lancer
Deity

Mike, 5 dems did it. They flew to the Lincoln after Bush left. A marine chopper from Washington with 5 dems who wanted to come in with the ship.
Old May 8, 2003, 23:57   #50
GePap
Emperor

Compare the cost of one chopper flight vs that of a jet, plus stopping and turning the carrier for a better view..I mean, just on fuel alone, what the president did was far more costly.

Bush basically pulled off a multi-million dollar campaign add at Tax payer expense:

And as for CNN being biased: When Sen Byrd called this ;little act for what it was, there you had CNN, on it little ticker, asking: Did Byrd go too far? No, he didn;t go far enough.

Ned:

You praise FoxNews as good journalism, yet say CNN is biased? CNN is not left wing: it is right smack center. Fox, well, Fox is anything but unbiased.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 9, 2003, 00:00   #51
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

gepap, ned has demensia. hes gone. theres no use in trying to communicate with him. let him go.
Old May 9, 2003, 00:07   #52
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144

ned, time to come back to reality. now if this had been a democrat that had done it you can be sure there would have been the SAME amount of coverage on CNN. Nevermind the immolation the democrat would have gotten on Fox News.

If you think otherwise you aparently missed the final years of the clinton administration when CNN took every opportunity to report on clintons sexual forays and have rightwing talking heads on to condemn him. maybe you were in a rightwing indoctrination camp at the time. maybe you were in a cult like the GOP? who knows?
Not running the Clinton sex news would have hurt ratings. If you have been reading my posts here for the past year, I have been complimentary of Clinton the president. I think CNN probably also was complimentary of Clinton the president. But not Clinton the liar and cheat.

Even Democrats harshly condemned Clinton's misbehavior. So it was not surprising that CNN joined with other Democrats in this regard.
Old May 9, 2003, 00:08   #53
Ned
King

Quote:
gepap, ned has demensia. hes gone. theres no use in trying to communicate with him. let him go.
MR144, thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old May 9, 2003, 00:13   #54
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

if i were your son id have you commited immedietly.

the thing is ned, CNN could have "just reported the news" and not had every special guest from the woodwork come out and criticize him. but they did. you cant be biased if you take shots at everyone equally. (this is concerning clinton)

but back to bush, and if it had been a democrat, i believe that CNN would have done the same if it had been a democrat doing the same thing.
Old May 9, 2003, 00:35   #55
Ned
King

Quote:
if i were your son id have you commited immedietly.

the thing is ned, CNN could have "just reported the news" and not had every special guest from the woodwork come out and criticize him. but they did. you cant be biased if you take shots at everyone equally. (this is concerning clinton)

but back to bush, and if it had been a democrat, i believe that CNN would have done the same if it had been a democrat doing the same thing.
Nah, I wouldn't. I think there is a difference between genuine policy differences between the parties and petty politics. I, and probably a lot of Americans, loathe petty politics. This carping by Democrats is simply petty. If Republicans do it to Democrats, I think they should stop.

I for one have a lot of sympathy and admiration for many Democrats, from Jefferson, to Polk to FDR. Even Jack Kennedy was an inspiring leader (although I have major reservations about his conduct of foreign policy). I also note with appreciation the respect Bill Clinton gave Richard Nixon. I wish all Democrats had Clinton's "class."
Old May 9, 2003, 00:42   #56
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

If republicans do it to democrats? the entire fox news network is dedicated to that! rush, savage and every radio personality on ksfo is dedicated to petty politics. it seems you never, until now, have take the least bit of issue with that. maybe if you didnt just present the anti liberal side of yourself at every chance i wouldnt have such a hard time considering anything you said.
Old May 9, 2003, 00:50   #57
Ned
King

Quote:
If republicans do it to democrats? the entire fox news network is dedicated to that! rush, savage and every radio personality on ksfo is dedicated to petty politics. it seems you never, until now, have take the least bit of issue with that. maybe if you didnt just present the anti liberal side of yourself at every chance i wouldnt have such a hard time considering anything you said.
I am anti-liberal (today's liberal, that is) for good, political reasons which I normally state. But simply poking fun at liberal because they are stupid or something like that is not something that I would normally do.

As to Rush, yeah, he seems to be much too partisan at times. But that is his show. What I was thinking about were Republican politicians bashing Democrats. If it gets petty, I get disgusted.

I was trying to think of any instance where Bush bashed any Democrat for any reason other than policy differences. I cannot recall even one instance. But, if you can, remind me.
Old May 9, 2003, 01:31   #58
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
Mike, 5 dems did it. They flew to the Lincoln after Bush left. A marine chopper from Washington with 5 dems who wanted to come in with the ship.
And that's bullshit too, but they couldn't have done it at all if their fearless leader hadn't. The Navy can tell the odd Congressman to shove it easier than they can tell the CinC to shove it.

All politicians using it to grandstand for any political purposes whatever should have the cost charged by the government to their respective political campaign committees, or to the party national committees.

Maybe if somebody started yanking their chain and forcing a little responsibility, it would catch on.
Old May 9, 2003, 02:48   #59
AnnC
Chieftain

Back to the topic...
The advisor was Karl Rove and the caption was a reference to the recently published book: Bush's Brain.

Since most CNN viewers are literate, I'm sure they understood what the caption referred to.
Old May 9, 2003, 03:38   #60
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:59
Quote:
CNN is not left wing: it is right smack center.
Naw, CNN is moderate left. MSNBC is probably a good candidate for being in the center (they started on the left, moved way to the right, and are now in the middle... just to find some ratings for their network). FOX is Jesse Helms right wing.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)