Old May 9, 2003, 03:56   #1
Ision
Warlord

Local Time: 01:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
2 questions on OCN
"Action: Increased optimal number of cities for all map sizes by 50%. Reduced percentage of optimal cities for all levels by 1/3"

1. Correct me if I am wrong, but would it be accurate to say that when you increase the OCN by 50%, what you have done is increase the number of cities you can have without incurring a larger waste/corruption penalty.

2. What does the "reduced percentage of optimal cities" sentence mean? It appears to contradict the first sentence.
Old May 9, 2003, 04:12   #2
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 02:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I don't have Civ3 here so I can't confirm it, but I think it's when the "high-corruption-daemon" should enter. You have OCN that refers to map sizes and the percentage depends on the difficulty level. Like on higher levels, you corruption goes sky-high before the OCN is reached, when a certain percentage of OCN is reached.
Old May 9, 2003, 11:44   #3
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 21:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I believe your quote is from the AU mod readme.

Both of the changes work together to encourage the AI to aquire more cities so it can threaten to win by domination. As you pointed out, the changes have opposite effects on corruption. In fact, the net effect on corruption is zero. The only change on gameplay is that you need 50% more cities to build the Forbidden Palace.

Under stock rules, the AI stops expanding once it reaches the OCN, even if it has more room. It even starts razing conquered cities instead of keeping them. This makes an AI domination impossible on all but tiny maps.