Old May 9, 2003, 06:07   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 01:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Defection
What will we do if someone wishes/does defect?
Old May 9, 2003, 06:30   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Depends which direction. I doubt some factions will take back defectors though

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 9, 2003, 06:39   #3
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 02:05
The hive, for example, will never have the problem of defection. Our citizens enjoy the best life possible. Itīs just that accidents tend to happen suddenly, here and then...
Old May 9, 2003, 07:16   #4
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 12:05
If someone wants to quit one team and join another, they should immediately quit the team they wnat to leave and wait on joining another one until any inside knowledge they might have becomes useless. Anything else is simply unfair.
Old May 9, 2003, 07:21   #5
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:05
But when does inside knowledge become useless? I mean, even if the traitor has to wait a month, probably only six turns or so will have passed. I doubt there will be much change in that short period. I'd propose that defections are only allowed if the faction to which the person defects already has infiltrated the faction from which the person defects. Anything else is too unfair for the victim faction.
Old May 9, 2003, 07:23   #6
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Yes, I agree.
Old May 9, 2003, 07:35   #7
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Me too.
But best would be if there werenīt any defections at all. I mean, thatīs why everybody had been given the opportunity to chose where to participate...
Old May 9, 2003, 10:50   #8
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 22:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I hope there are not defectors. But if it happens, then Maniac's idea seems fine to me.
Old May 9, 2003, 10:56   #9
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 18:05
The Hive would welcome any oppressed peoples seeking refuge in our great communist nation.

Comrade Micha, anyone who defects from the Hive is not a true communist by a capitalist lapdog spy! The imperialists seek to destabilize the State for they know that it is truly the rule of the people, and they fear the people. But not to worry comrades, the will of the people will prevail.
Old May 9, 2003, 15:08   #10
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 19:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
But when does inside knowledge become useless? I mean, even if the traitor has to wait a month, probably only six turns or so will have passed. I doubt there will be much change in that short period. I'd propose that defections are only allowed if the faction to which the person defects already has infiltrated the faction from which the person defects. Anything else is too unfair for the victim faction.
I would say that long term strategic planning is the more valuable info that a defector will take with him, regardless of infiltration-type data. Six turns probably won't put a dent in that's value, or at least will force major changes in gameplay on the part of the faction defected from, which isn't really fair.

I say disallow it completely or take it on a case by case basis if it must happen.

Edit: for clarity
Old May 10, 2003, 16:50   #11
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 21:05
If you disallow defectors completely, you rule out a lot of interesting role-playing potential. Say I'm a member of the University and one of our cities has been taken by the Consciousness. I decide that I want to have been "assimilated" by the Consciusness, and after discussing it OOC with the players from both teams, make that a reality. This allows us to role-play transitions between factions. Now, I don't claim this should be a normal occurence, but once or twice per game is fine. Within the limits of Maniac's proposal (which seems a sound way to prevent unbalance by premature sharing of information), I think defection should be allowed.
Old May 10, 2003, 17:06   #12
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Should we allow someone being a spy for another faction? For example a potential defector could point out a weak spot in the probe defences of the defector's current faction, giving the future defector's faction a chance to infiltrate and "rescue" and take away the defector to his future faction. Just an idea...
What of course should be unallowed is telling the password of a certain team, or creating DLs to act as spies.
Old May 10, 2003, 17:09   #13
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 22:05
nah, i don't like that

as for DLs, we can always count on Ming the Merciless to keep us safe from that
Old May 10, 2003, 17:12   #14
Maniac

Perhaps Tassadar could poll it, with a few of the limitations provided above as options to vote on?
Old May 10, 2003, 21:13   #15
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Regarding spies: NO WAY. This would basicaly mean that any team, at any time, could have their most secret plans exposed withotu any warning and without being able to do anything at all about it. It simply isn't fair.
Old May 11, 2003, 04:31   #16
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 11:05
Maybe people who defect should be forbidden to talk about issues of policy. How to enforce it, though?
Old May 11, 2003, 04:32   #17
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

It can't be enforced; it would just have to be a matter of honesty. However, really, I wouldn't trust anyone not to let things slip, even if by accident, or allow their knowledge to contaminate team policy.
Old May 12, 2003, 17:49   #18
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 20:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Micha
The hive, for example, will never have the problem of defection. Our citizens enjoy the best life possible. Itīs just that accidents tend to happen suddenly, here and then...
We engineer our citizens so that they do not wish to defect.

(remember the gene jack quote by yang )
Old May 12, 2003, 18:06   #19
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

And we are so perfect, severing the link to the collective could damage the individual. I say be realistic, if someone defects, they are wanted by others because of the info they carry. Let them defect and use that knowlegde, but you can only defect to a faction you've had relations with (thus you know they exist) but you're free to share info then.

This could be very stupid, but I think most of us are happy with our teams, and want to stay. But realistically, if youn defect, you have that knowledge, and if the other faction wanted to use it, they would. To be honest, I'm not really sure, but either could be fun.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 12, 2003, 18:40   #20
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
but I think most of us are happy with our teams...
I think Ive been nerve stapled enough times by Yang to get
free will" out of my system...
Old May 13, 2003, 05:19   #21
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II

I think Ive been nerve stapled enough times by Yang to get
free will" out of my system...
Nah, you build up a tolerance to it after a while.
Old May 13, 2003, 05:54   #22
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Using pain to instill obedience... how... logical, yet something in my neural nets seems to give a strange feeling at that opinion

"Could there be more to a person than logic?"

Of course not!

Extract from "Meditations on Logic" by Prime Function Drogue Beta-8

Old May 13, 2003, 06:00   #23
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Using pain to instill obedience... how... logical, yet something in my neural nets seems to give a strange feeling at that opinion

"Could there be more to a person than logic?"

Of course not!

Extract from "Meditations on Logic" by Prime Function Drogue Beta-8
Logic without emotion is not logic at all, just as emotion without logic is not emotion at all.

Old May 13, 2003, 06:45   #24
Drogue
staff

An interesting thought, Comrade Tassadar. So would blind love, that causes one to harm their intended lover, not be an imotion, as it is devoid of logic? Would the hatred of another, that causes one to commit crimes, ending up killed or in prison, be not emotions, for they are illogical and irrational? Do you disregard Hume's position that
Quote:
Reason cannot give rise to moral judgments
(that emotion can) or Stoicism, which states that
Quote:
Morality is simply rational action, of reason alone
? Both of those would seem to believe that you can have logic while not having emotion, and vice versa.

As the CyCon leader, I speak of Stoicism with much reverance, even being incapable of illogical emotion.

"Questions and Answers about Meditations" by Prime Function Beta-8

Last edited by Drogue; May 13, 2003 at 13:31.
Old May 13, 2003, 10:40   #25
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Arrr... just have ye robotic minions walk the plank and watch as they short circuit Drogue... there be no mutany then.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old May 13, 2003, 21:21   #26
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

You seem to be mistaken about our nature. Though we do include cybernetic, electronic implants in our systems, they are not designed to allow for short-circuiting. Considering our organic components contain copious amounts of water, it would be illogical to design components that can be short-circuited.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old May 17, 2003, 08:37   #27
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Perhaps it is time to make some rules regarding defections.

First: Change password.
Second: Second post Citizen Registry. Tass is a well known poster but some new acdgers are not. Most people post their intention to join a faction but I haven't checked if they've signed on elsewhere ( I don't think any have)
Third: There has to be an agreed gap period before the defector can join another faction. A month has been suggested but maybe 20 turns. This would be a big disincentive to defect as the game develops, as the turns become more involved.
Four: We have to recognise there are some areas we can't legislate for.
Five: Alternatively maybe there should be an all faction panel including Googlie or other Mod to adjudicate to agree conditions per each individual case. For instance say we had a serial defector.

Just some thoughts
Old May 17, 2003, 08:56   #28
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 15:05
Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash
Arrr... just have ye robotic minions walk the plank and watch as they short circuit Drogue... there be no mutany then.

typical Pirate attitude.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 17, 2003, 09:04   #29
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
Perhaps it is time to make some rules regarding defections.
First: Change password.
If any other CMN's have found a way to do this I'd be delighted.

I don't believe it's possible to change a password once a PBEM has started.

G.
Old May 17, 2003, 09:23   #30
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Surely this can't be a serious discussion. Defections? Surely not! You're saying that a player who's been an active member of a faction can *defect* and join another if they happen to be losing? This is ludicrous!

If allowed, players defecting when they see a sea change is going to decide the game, and it'll spoil the game. In addition to the passwords business (it's not possible to change, btw) you've got all manner of strategies and tactics that will become worthless. It's taking the soul out of the game.

My vote would be to do exactly the same as in the Civ3 demo game, and say simply that a player is not allowed to be a member of more than one faction throughout the game full stop. Anything else will ridiculously unbalance a game we've all spent countless hours playing (and also trying to make fair and balanced).