Old May 9, 2003, 16:08   #1
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 01:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Why China?
A couple of days ago I spotted an interesting looking discussion on the merits, strengths, and virtues of China as a Civ. I intended to come back and read it carefully but now, for the life of me, I can't find it.

Anyone care to start it again here ... or point me to the original thread.

Much appreciated in advance.
Old May 9, 2003, 16:19   #2
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 18:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Could it have been this thread?

Catt
Old May 9, 2003, 16:28   #3
MyOlde
Prince

THat's the one! Thanks, Catt. Howja find it so fast?
Old May 9, 2003, 16:33   #4
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 18:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I remembered I'd posted in it recently, and just looked for the threads with the little black dot that symbolizes one's own post in the thread.

Catt
Old May 10, 2003, 02:54   #5
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

RE China, I haven't played the Civ enough to say anything, but I will say that they are competitive as an AI.

Regarding the ease of routing enemy attacks, I have a few comments to add:

1) Regarding FP, I have seen the AI build them next to their capital. I have also seen, in my 2nd debug game which I haven't finished watching, the AI for the Iroquis attempt to build the FP on a patch of 5 or 6 formerly German cities--this was interrupted when they were attacked by Japan. Since these cities are separated from the mainland, it was in my mind, and impressive feat in AI planning as the human in that situation would have done the same. I am not sure if it was a fluke or not, but it does appear the AI doesn't blunder into building their FPs right next to their capital all the time. -- I will have a look at my save and post it if it is relevant.

2) Regarding enemy attacks, I think we tend to speak from a point of dominance and we plan to be in a position of dominance from turn #1. It is fairly easy to dismiss the AI when your military outnumber them and outmatch them. Since the AI can't think creatively, human players have the advantage. That is given. But after the latest patch, I really can't say the AI is that bad of an attacker. They tend to have more objectives than I would like, but the way they spread out their attacking formation creates trouble for the human players, and it a gj on Soren's part.
Old May 10, 2003, 03:23   #6
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

I'm too lazy to go back and recheck the save file for the city names, but take a look at the Forbidden Palaces for the Ottomans, the Celts and the Carthigianians (I think these are the only civs who have built one or are currently building one) They are spaced out nicely, although the Celtic FP is technically the "next city" from the capital, the spacing and location is such that is still provides fairly decent coverage, although if I was building it, I wouldn't be building it on a coastal city.

The Ottoman FP is perfectly positioned, and is severing them very well since they are pushing in its direction as they try and wipe out the Aztecs.

The Indians, which has been fairly isolated from wars does not have an FP, despite having a lot of improvements in their cities. It looks like the AI puts it fairly low on its build list if the AI empire is small.

A few notable exeptions such as the Japanese, Zulus and the Iroqouis could use an FP but don't have one. This is largely due to that fact that both have been at war for so long. The Aztecs might have had one, but I can't say for sure since so many of their cities have been taken.

Haven't checked the Chinese.

Edit: On a related note, the Chinese are a non factor in this game on account of being isolated in their island.

While I was watching the debug file, I witnessed the AI adapting. The Chinese had started the game pumping out military right out of the gates. And at one time had the largest military on the planet.

As time passed, due to their isolation, they began disbanding their units. They have yet to enter into any wars.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav debug.sav (315.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by dexters; May 10, 2003 at 03:34.