Old May 11, 2003, 00:55   #1
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 21:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why are American houses built from bricks?
I heard that in the middle east and latin america, a lot of houses are built out of dried mud and tile. apparently, this construction (aside from being real cheap) cools the interior in the summer and keeps in fairly warm in winter...

so why are all the houses here in the US made out of brick?
Old May 11, 2003, 01:05   #2
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 18:14
Mine's not brick. It's wood framed.
Old May 11, 2003, 01:06   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 20:14
Re: Why are American houses built from bricks?
Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer
I heard that in the middle east and latin america, a lot of houses are built out of dried mud and tile. apparently, this construction (aside from being real cheap) cools the interior in the summer and keeps in fairly warm in winter...

so why are all the houses here in the US made out of brick?
because mud doesn't last long and we have a life expectancy longer than theirs?

i'm fairly sure the houses you heard about arent that large, ie 2 story houses with full basements. mud might not support that.

and, on long island, almost no houses are made of brick. wood and sheetrock (drywall) on concrete foundation.
Old May 11, 2003, 01:07   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler
Mine's not brick. It's wood framed.
speer lives in the city. the buildigns are usually older and far more standardized. a lot of buildings there are probably made of brick.
Old May 11, 2003, 01:07   #5
Oerdin
Deity

You need to travel more Speer then maybe you would notice the regional differences in building materials.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 11, 2003, 01:08   #6
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Mine's wood. Brick is more attractive than mud, and isn't that what's important???

If I were tremendously wealthy, I'd have a granite house.
Albert Speer
Old May 11, 2003, 01:08   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
Mine's wood. Brick is more attractive than mud, and isn't that what's important???

no, all chrome house. hardcore.

you'd have to get your fingerprints burnt off though.
Old May 11, 2003, 01:11   #8
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 03:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
It was so the big, bad commies wouldn't huff, puff and blow them to the ground.
Old May 11, 2003, 01:11   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
There's one of those in mountains north-east of LA the guy made his entire house by cementing granit bolders together. It's something like three stories tall with a basement.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 11, 2003, 01:12   #10
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 19:14
Scope issues
Why is everyone in Canada upper-middle class??
Old May 11, 2003, 01:13   #11
GePap
Emperor

I have never heard of these materials being good insulators. brick is much better at insulation, and keeping the house warm in winter is more important that keeping cool in Summer (you can always sit on the porch). Same reason why windowns in the US are usually smaller and thicker as well.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 11, 2003, 01:13   #12
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

the nice thing is that granite is radioactive, so every day you lived there you could say that you were killing yourself a little bit too follow your dreams.
Albert Speer
Old May 11, 2003, 01:14   #13
Oerdin
Deity

Here in Califonia most of the houses are made out of wood frame because unreinforce masonry (read: bricks) has a tendency to fall down during earthquakes.

Still, some of the states oldest and most beautiful buildings are made out of stone or brick.
Old May 11, 2003, 01:16   #14
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Re: Scope issues
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Why is everyone in Canada upper-middle class??
communism
Old May 11, 2003, 01:17   #15
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

granite is radioactive?

what? for real there's houses that are not brick? I dont think I've ever not seen a brick house... every single house, rowhome, and apartment building in philly is made out of brick except for maybe some of the downtown sky-scrapers
Old May 11, 2003, 01:21   #16
Oerdin
Deity

As a geologist and I can tell you that you have nothing to fear from granite. The argon and potasium elements which are radioactive are extrodinarially small and even trained scientist with state of the art equipment have a hard time measuring the amount of radioactive decay which has occured. They have to take their time and be extra careful.

Besides all volcanic rocks and all sedimentary & metamorphic rocks derived from volcanic rocks contain trace radioactive elements but it is far lower then the background radiation we get bombarded with each and every day.
Old May 11, 2003, 01:22   #17
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Oerdin:

Wood houses don't collapse due to earth quakes but brick ones do?
Old May 11, 2003, 01:22   #18
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 01:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Winston
It was so the big, bad commies wouldn't huff, puff and blow them to the ground.

I once watched a propaganda video of that sort
Old May 11, 2003, 01:24   #19
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

I know that, but on the other hand I like scaring people with Granite houses. And you have to admit that Granite IS radioactive, although I heard that it was a bit more than you seem to believe...

"I dont think I've ever not seen a brick house"
If you get to Temple, and I hope that that works out, then I'm willing to bet that you'll be seeing quite a few wooden houses.
Albert Speer
Old May 11, 2003, 01:24   #20
GePap
Emperor

The Northeast urban centers is the center of brick in the US. Wood or some more mixed constructions are more popular elsewhere.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 11, 2003, 01:26   #21
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Monolith:

Why's that?
Old May 11, 2003, 01:27   #22
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Oerdin:

Wood houses have a tendency to sway back and forth while brick houses have a tendency to crumble and kill everyone inside them. Watch next time there's an earthquake in a third world country like Iran or China. See all the people buried alive in brick homes? Hmm, all the wooden homes seemed to survive intact...
Old May 11, 2003, 01:27   #23
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Temple is in Connecticut, right? Why is that? Because they exist, and you'd have to wear blinders to not see them. Seriously, watch Good Will Hunting - he's wicked poor and lives in a wooden house. Not all ghettos are built the same.
Albert Speer
Old May 11, 2003, 01:28   #24
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
for real there's houses that are not brick?
YEAH . I don't think I've lived in a house that wasn't brick, except for my college dorms.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 11, 2003, 01:29   #25
Edan
Warlord

So the nasty, mean old wolf won't be able to blow our houses down - not by the hairs of our chiney-chin-chin!
Old May 11, 2003, 01:30   #26
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

ah... Temple is in Philly...
Old May 11, 2003, 01:32   #27
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
I know that, but on the other hand I like scaring people with Granite houses. And you have to admit that Granite IS radioactive, although I heard that it was a bit more than you seem to believe...

"I dont think I've ever not seen a brick house"
If you get to Temple, and I hope that that works out, then I'm willing to bet that you'll be seeing quite a few wooden houses.
The granite itself is not radioactive instead it contains in it's matrix a certain about of radioactive isotopes which are commonly found in the earth's crust. Often those elements are Potasium and or argon because those two elements are of the right size and charge to fit into the crystal matrix of the rock. Scientists use the decay of these isotopes to date how long abo the magma crystalized and formed the Granite.

Still, if you want to call that radioactive then just about everything is radioactive. Turn on a gieger counter sometime and just watch how you get random hits all the time. That's just the background noise which exists on this planet.
Old May 11, 2003, 01:33   #28
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

it's cheap, and fairly common.
Old May 11, 2003, 04:36   #29
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Oerdin:

Yep.

Don't get me wrong -- both can fall, depending on the quality of construction and the strength of the quake.

Wood frame houses (and steel frame buildings) are able to flex, which allows them to 'ride' out the waves.

Brick buildings have several things going against them:

- brittleness of the bricks themselves, which means they're much more likely to fracture when hit with a wave

- the fact that bricks and mortar are two different substances, with different physical characteristics which will cause them to respond to waves differently -- in terms of flexing, rates of transmission, angles of reflection and refraction (is that the term I'm thinking of, Oerdin? it's been so long) -- and which, in turn, increases the effects of all the planes of weakness brick buildings naturally have (that is, each and every place brick meets mortar).

- the heavier weight of overlying bricks makes any displacement of bricks in lower layers much more significant.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 11, 2003, 04:40   #30
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Wood frames are most common in residential building because it's cheap to buy and cheap to work with, the USA has lots of trees, and its aesthetically pleasing. Wood also has a special place in the American culture, which invented things like the log cabin, the balloon-frame house, and the do-it-yourself house kit. Wood framing also allows for easier modification of the house later on, something you can't do with concrete. Wood can also be prefabbed and hauled into place on a trailer. Structurally, wood has one of the highest strength-to-mass ratios of any material (a wood beam is stronger than a steel beam of the same weight) and properly cared for will last the expected lifetime of any American house (30-50 years).

Older US cities have lots of brick buildings due to fire codes, in the suburbs houses are far apart so wood is OK.

Most other places in the world don't have a big supply of trees to chop down locally, so concrete is used instead. Most commercial construction in USA is done with concrete cinderblock these days, though there are many wood framed businesses as well.