Old May 12, 2003, 17:30   #1
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Gonna kill kill kill kill Kill the poor tonight
Behold the sparkle of champagne, the crime rate's gone feel free again!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/05/1....ap/index.html

Homeless man set on fire, police say
'We believe it was intentional'
Monday, May 12, 2003 Posted: 9:02 AM EDT (1302 GMT)

SALINAS, California (AP) -- A homeless man was doused with a flammable liquid and set on fire as he slept, leaving him with third-degree burns to more than 40 percent of his body.

The 56-year-old man was standing with his clothes singed off when officers found him late Saturday. The lower half of his body was covered with flames.

"It was very bad. His skin was hanging off him, completely charred," said Salinas Police Lt. Manuel Perrine. "From his feet to his waist and everything in between was severely burned."

The man was hospitalized in serious condition Sunday.

Investigators believe the fire was set on purpose and that whoever was behind it knew the victim and was trying to kill him, although no suspects have been identified, Perrine said.

"It wasn't a cooking accident. We believe it was intentional," he said. "We don't think it's a random thing."

The results of lab tests on the liquid were still pending, but police suspect it was gasoline. They didn't recover the device that was used to ignite the liquid.

The homeless man was sleeping against the wall of a small medical building when the fire was set, and the smoke and flames blew out the windows and caused moderate damage to the building, Perrine said.
Old May 12, 2003, 17:45   #2
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Another ]Michael Malloy[/url]?
Old May 12, 2003, 17:48   #3
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Sorry about the link, it's to a Google cache site.
Old May 12, 2003, 17:54   #4
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 03:18
Imagine waking up being burnt all over the place
Old May 12, 2003, 21:10   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 18:18
not a pleasant experience I'm sure.

Amazingly people are burned all the time throughout the U.S. I'm not sure what makes this case so different.
Old May 13, 2003, 02:39   #6
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 09:18
Dissident, it's not because this case is unique, it's because these attacks are atrocious. That's why the press should carry these stories, to alert people to these barbaric acts in a supposedly civilised society, so they could help stamping it out.
Old May 13, 2003, 02:42   #7
Oerdin
Deity

The reality is this is just another attempted homicide in a world where thousands are killed each day. Is it any more horrible then a dad who beats his 2 month old child to death or a mom who drowns her kids to get even with her cheating husbad?

They all suck.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 13, 2003, 02:49   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I'm afraid to say something for fear of not being politically correct.

I do agree that perhaps we do need more press on crimes against the homeless. For the most part they are ignored by society. But where I live every crime is reported, no matter who it is. So it isn't as much as a problem where I live.

And yes it is a very horrific crime. In fact this seems to be a growing trend in society the past 20 years or so. Or perhaps it is only being better reported. These crimes against the homeless may have been going on for 30 or 40 years for all we know. So it is difficult to judge whether attitudes towards the homeless are becoming worse- or the reporting is just getting better.
Old May 13, 2003, 11:13   #9
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 20:18
It really is a shame people see the homeless as legitimate targets of "fun" I know with a local bum nearby of two major incidents: one time during a freezing winter day some people doused him with cold water, and another time they stole the cup that he had been storing the money he begged in. I also remember a little further while back there was an incident in a guy selling videos of homeless people he paid to fight each other and do humiliating stunts. It really is sick that people would want to do stuff like that...

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old May 13, 2003, 11:29   #10
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
I also remember a little further while back there was an incident in a guy selling videos of homeless people he paid to fight each other and do humiliating stunts. It really is sick that people would want to do stuff like that...
Yes, I remember that one. Disgusting!
Old May 13, 2003, 11:32   #11
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 04:18
There is nothing wrong about it. He didn't force them to do anything, they agreed to do a job, for money that he paid them. What are they doing is nothing of your bussiness. The guy made some good bussiness, and they got paid, so they can eat. I think it's great actually.

[/libertarian]
Old May 13, 2003, 12:16   #12
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 01:18
Quote:
Dissident, it's not because this case is unique, it's because these attacks are atrocious. That's why the press should carry these stories, to alert people to these barbaric acts in a supposedly civilised society, so they could help stamping it out.

"Alert" ppl to these acts? What are the ppl realy going to or suppose to do about it? Really all it does is give more idiots ideas, creates copy cats, and tells children they can fly.

I am not saying to censor the media, I am just saying one shouldn't exploit it.
Old May 13, 2003, 13:43   #13
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
There is nothing wrong about it. He didn't force them to do anything, they agreed to do a job, for money that he paid them. What are they doing is nothing of your bussiness. The guy made some good bussiness, and they got paid, so they can eat. I think it's great actually.

[/libertarian]
Just because it is legal does not mean it is not disturbing.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old May 13, 2003, 13:45   #14
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Japher: increasing awareness of crime doesn't increase crime
Old May 13, 2003, 13:46   #15
Japher
Emperor

That's your opinion Sava
Old May 13, 2003, 13:50   #16
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

And it's based upon logic and common sense. If people are unaware of crime, where's the incentive to stop it or take steps to stop it? And vice versa, if people are aware of a crime that sparks outrage, it motivates people to take steps to stop it.

But please, I'd like to hear how ignorance stops crime. Educate me.
Old May 13, 2003, 13:58   #17
Az
Emperor

Quote:
You can be disturbed as much as you want, I don't care, I will pay hobos to eat donkeyshit as much as I want to, you hear me, commie?
Old May 13, 2003, 14:05   #18
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
But please, I'd like to hear how ignorance stops crime. Educate me.
Not ignorance, just not blowing everything out of proportion and dramatizing it would stop crime... Many psychos out there love the attention they and their victums receive... Also, many other psychos out there are just waiting for a crime to perform that they think they can get away with... so lets not give them the idea.

When I was in high school I don't remember any shootings that happened at other school campus'... The Columbine occured, and now it seems to be an everyday occurance.

Violent crimes and criminals should not be hyped up, and that is what happens when the media "informs" the public of these occurances.
Old May 13, 2003, 14:11   #19
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
so lets not give them the idea.
trust me... evil people will do evil things regardless.

but I do agree that the American media causes more harm than good...
Old May 13, 2003, 16:53   #20
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
You can be disturbed as much as you want, I don't care, I will pay hobos to eat donkeyshit as much as I want to, you hear me, commie?
That says a lot about your moral principles, or should I say lack thereof. With an attitude like that, it's no wonder why so many people lack sympathy for Israel. If your fellow countrymen are anything like you, then you deserve all the suicide bombers that the Palestinians send your way. Start showing a little compassion and maybe the rest of us will start caring as well.
Old May 13, 2003, 17:07   #21
Az
Emperor

Old May 13, 2003, 17:26   #22
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Quote:
Quote:
That says a lot about your moral principles, or should I say lack thereof. With an attitude like that, it's no wonder why so many people lack sympathy for Israel. If your fellow countrymen are anything like you, then you deserve all the suicide bombers that the Palestinians send your way. Start showing a little compassion and maybe the rest of us will start caring as well.
To Azazel:
I love it!

To Willem:
What's the difference between Bumfights and Boxing or any other professional sport? What's the difference between our Israeli friend paying hobos to eat donkeyshit and Reality TV shows like Survivor and Fear Factor where people eat bugs and go swimming in a tank full of dead mice?

If his comments are gonna make you loose respect for Israel, then its making me gain respect.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old May 13, 2003, 17:29   #23
Az
Emperor

I was joking, you know. I am too good at this.

*runs away, screaming, tearing hair from head*
Old May 13, 2003, 17:40   #24
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by OzzyKP

To Willem:
What's the difference between Bumfights and Boxing or any other professional sport? What's the difference between our Israeli friend paying hobos to eat donkeyshit and Reality TV shows like Survivor and Fear Factor where people eat bugs and go swimming in a tank full of dead mice?

If his comments are gonna make you loose respect for Israel, then its making me gain respect.
Because it's taking advantage of someone who's down and out. They should be helped, not humiliated. Or do you think this guy was paying them a million dollars for every degrading act they performed? He was just exploiting their misfortune, nothing more.

In my books, you don't kick a person when they're already down, and any person who thinks that's OK is morally depraved IMO.
Old May 13, 2003, 17:42   #25
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
my books, you don't kick a person when they're already down, and any person who thinks that's OK is morally depraved IMO.
That's right he's depraved! Burn him! Burn him!... Opps, that's not really appropriate given the first post in this thread.

Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 13, 2003, 17:44   #26
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

the homeless person thinks its humiliating he should tell the guy to go to hell.

It isn't taking advantage of someone anymore than a circus taking out a classified ad looking for employees to shovel elephant dung. Not a job I would want to do, but why criticize those who want to do it?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old May 13, 2003, 17:45   #27
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

I was joking, you know. I am too good at this.

*runs away, screaming, tearing hair from head*
Well I certainly hope so, and if you were I apologize. The comment you made struck me as so heartless and callous I decided to strike back in any way I could.
Old May 13, 2003, 17:50   #28
Az
Emperor

Yo, Willem, look at my location line. It says I am a fricking commie. Do you think that I would call someone else a commie if I wanted to insult him?

Ozzy: you're a libertarian, and as you noticed, I fully realize the libertarian pov on the issue. ( Though I was more of a libertarian *******, not just a libertarian. ). I am a utilitarian. I think these two are about as opposed as any two ethical theories can be.

So, I fully understand where are you coming from, but I cannot stand that place.

Peace to all of you, and good night.
Old May 13, 2003, 17:52   #29
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by OzzyKP
the homeless person thinks its humiliating he should tell the guy to go to hell.

It isn't taking advantage of someone anymore than a circus taking out a classified ad looking for employees to shovel elephant dung. Not a job I would want to do, but why criticize those who want to do it?
The intent of those videos wasn't to glorify some sport or provide some harmless entertainment, but to humiliate the participants. The purpose was to get a laugh out of someone else's misfortune, something I find despicable. People who can engage in that kind of baiting are scum of the earth IMO, especially when they're trying to profit by it.
Old May 13, 2003, 17:56   #30
Az
Emperor

Willem, I think Ozzy has a point, since noone forced the homeless person to do this. OTOH, the situations are different, since these people are indeed in dire straits.