Old May 13, 2003, 20:22   #1
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Local Time: 01:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Amending strategy to suit your wonders, a question.
If one secures a wonder then it seems one should often amend ones strategy to capitalise on the benefits of that wonder. Apart from the Collussus and Great Library I admit I have never given this much thought so I was wondering what forum members thoughts are on how one should amend ones strategy for each particular wonder.

If I am able to build the Collussus I like to build the population of the city up fast, put roads all around it to maximise gold. I put in market place and library etc ASAP and beeline for Copernicus and Newtons. I certainly do not use that city as a settler or worker pump. The sole emphasis is improving that city. I can put that extra gold towards research, tech purchases, embassy establishment, buying allies to arrange a dogpile on a neighbour so I can get a bit more territory etc.

The Great Library lets me keep up on techs and cut back on research to free up some gold which I can invest in various things.

I don't consciously change my strategy in response to acquiring the other great wonders and it occurs to me that perhaps I should.

Your thoughts?
Old May 13, 2003, 21:33   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sounds to me like you have it in hand already.
It depends on the maps and the level, but I played so many games they are already integrated into my strategy.
Old May 14, 2003, 04:20   #3
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Interesting approach. I do the reverse.

I do not build Wonders 'by chance'. Wonder-building is part of my overal strategy for a certain game, depending on the map, level and specific game circumstances.
Let me explain:
I play the French and want to trigger my GA with my UU (in the Middle Ages). I never build the Colossus/Pyramids or Pyramids/GLighthouse since it would trigger my GA much too soon.
I go for a PP game: who cares about militaristic Wonders?
My citizen are as happy as clams in their shells but the tech race is tight. I build Bach to prevent my opponent to get it (+happiness = more gold = less turns/tech research = good for it, bad for me).
I feel boxed in: Sun Tsu and Leo welcome.
Old May 14, 2003, 08:06   #4
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Sage
Interesting approach. I do the reverse.
No, I dont build wonders by chance. There are a few that I target and really go after.

Collussus/Copernicus/Newton in same city and Sistine and Bach are the ones I really go for because they ae very much in my strategy plan.

I build as many of the others as I can because I am greedy but no change in strategy whether I get them or not. (I like/want some more much moe than others of ourse).
Old May 14, 2003, 15:59   #5
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Here are the Wonders that you can base a strategy around:

1. Great Library
2. Pyramids (if built/captured early enough)
3. Leonardo's
4. Sun Tzu's
5. UN (duh)

All other Wonders will affect your decisions to an extent, but do not require a re-thinking of your overall game plan. For instance, you could argue that Smith's promotes the widespread construction of commercial improvements, but you usually end up doing so in any given game anyway, so Smith's is uninteresting, strategically. The Colossus could be included in the above list, but it's effects are limited to one city, and so the strategic options are no very broad either; boosting the Colossus city as much as possible pretty much covers it.

Of course, as Mountain Sage points out, the set of Wonders that let you trigger the GA for your civ are definitely of strategic importance. It's just that, in most games it's much simpler to trigger your GA with your UU instead (which is why the Americans are a slightly more "interesting" civ, strategically speaking).

Dominae

Last edited by Dominae; May 14, 2003 at 16:05.
Old May 14, 2003, 16:16   #6
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Of course, as Mountain Sage points out, the set of Wonders that let you trigger the GA for your civ are definitely of strategic importance. It's just that, in most games it's much simpler to trigger your GA with your UU instead (which is why the Americans are a slightly more "interesting" civ, strategically speaking).
Add Germany to that. Same thing - really late UU (just not quite as late).

I agree with your list of Wonders one can base strategy around, but I think you *could* add the Great Lighthouse, depending on the map. In some cases, the Lighthouse may allow intercontinental invasions much, much earlier than would otherwise be possible.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 14, 2003, 16:28   #7
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Doh, forgot the Germans and the Great Lighthouse (the latter only in special games, though).

Dominae
Old May 14, 2003, 16:33   #8
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Obviously, I alter my strategy to get useful wonders.

As for the other way round, not much really. If you have the Colossus, you have a choice of preparing for an upgrade rush or getting ahead in tech. If you don't have the Colossus, then... Even the Great Library tends to mean little change in strategy. I've often ignored its obsolescence and headed straight for Navigation anyway. This means my continent is less likely to fall behind in tech.

I've recently decided that owning the Pyramids means a looser city spacing though. This seems to make a real difference.
Old May 14, 2003, 16:43   #9
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
It's just that, in most games it's much simpler to trigger your GA with your UU instead (which is why the Americans are a slightly more "interesting" civ, strategically speaking).
This affects many civs if you are trying to delay your GA (By having to avoid wonders. Wonders can be game deciding without altering your strategy that much eg ToE so deciding to avoid those alters strategy or something. )
Old May 15, 2003, 08:52   #10
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Quote:

Dominae
.... and the French. With the Musketeer smack in the middle of the, well, Middle Ages, it gives you a nice boost.
Old May 15, 2003, 09:36   #11
Don Giovanni
Chieftain

Quote:
which is why the Americans are a slightly more "interesting" civ, strategically speaking.
Dominae
Triggering your GA with the Hoover Dam is VERY interesting