Old May 13, 2003, 21:11   #1
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Neal Boortz, You're a Vicious "Bleep"
The expletive was "bleeped", but that was Bill O'Reilly's comment to radio commentator Neal Boortz. Why? O'Reilly has been railing about a "prom" down in Georgia where some white students held their own private, and segregated, prom off school grounds. O'Reilly invited Boortz onto his show and Neal said O'Reilly is just covering his rear because of a comment Bill made at a celebration of excellence for inner city kids, i.e., minority. O'Reilly, trying to fill some time while waiting for the kids to get ready for their appearance, joked, "I hope they aren't out in the parking lot stealing our hub caps". O'Reilly took some heat for the joke and Boortz said he's making a fuss about this thing in Georgia to make up for his joke.
Old May 13, 2003, 21:17   #2
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:24
And the point is?

I started listening to Boortz when he worked the night shift at WGST, and thought that WSB was crazy for kicking out Ludlow Porch and putting in Boortz (not because Boortz was bad, but because he was SOOO different from poor Ludlow (whose listening audience must have averaged about 84 years old)).

For those of you who don't know, NB is probably the biggest name Libertarian talk jock in America.
Old May 13, 2003, 21:18   #3
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Proof that I listened to Boortz:

Boo got shot! Boo got shot!

I remember the day that happened.

Of course, I like Kim Peterson best of the Atlanta talk shows. That man is FUNNY!!!!
Old May 13, 2003, 21:49   #4
Q Classic
Emperor

i dunno. boortz is funny, although i don't always agree with him.

he's a lot more interesting to listen to than o'reilly or hannity.
Old May 13, 2003, 22:17   #5
Caligastia
Emperor

I reckon Boortz is right, there is no other reason why O'Rielly would jump on this. If those kids want to have an all-white prom, what business is it of the school?

Boortz made a great point about this on his website:

THE SO-CALLED “WHITE PROM”
The most important aspect to this story is that it was NOT a school function. When we hear about “proms” we all have a mindset of some school-sponsored dance to celebrate the end of the school year. That was not the case with this dance. It was a private function neither endorsed nor promoted by the school.

I’m told that Taylor County High School hasn’t had an official school prom in decades. One reason, there’s simply no school facility in which to hold such an event. Officials tell me that there’s a gym there, but students aren’t that anxious to play basketball in it, let alone have a dance. The students prefer to drive from Butler, Georgia to Americus or to Columbus for their events.

O’Reilly made quite a deal last night of saying that the “prom” was sanctioned by the school because the students discussed plans and arrangements with each other while at school. So, that’s what it takes to make an event a “school event?” Does that mean that every date between a boy and a girl arranged at a school is a school event? Is the school then responsible for whatever happens during that date? Is it incumbent upon the school administrators to issue a statement on whether or not they approve or disapprove of this particular couple going out together? If students plan to get together at some fast food joint after school, is this gathering then a school event? Should the school make sure that all minority groups are represented at the Dairy Queen?

What would O’Reilly have the school do? Should they tell the students they can’t have their dance? Should they suspend students who go to the party? Should they dictate that these students invite some minority students or face disciplinary action? Now that’s just what we need, isn’t it? How many people are going to stand for a government school telling students that if they’re going to have a private property away from school grounds the school must have the opportunity to pass on the invitation list. As I said to O’Reilly last night, “What part of freedom of association don’t you understand?”

Across America during the coming months – in fact, just this weekend! – there are going to be thousands of private parties held in homes, hotel ballrooms, public parks and shower stalls that are going to be all-white, all-black, all-Hispanic, all-nerd, all-jock, all-gay and all-freak. It is not the place of the government, through government schools, to tell these kids who they can and cannot associate with off-campus.
Old May 13, 2003, 22:28   #6
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

I can't believe O'Reilly is still talking about this.

But last I saw him, I agreed with him. He was making the point at that point that it wasn't a school sponsored event, and while what the students did was perfectly legal, it was still a wrong thing to do.

They have the freedom to hold an all white prom and we have the freedom to tell them it is wrong. This is what he wanted the Governor to do, and I agree he should have.

Boortz should be defending the legality of the all-white prom, but not the all-white prom itself.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old May 13, 2003, 22:33   #7
Caligastia
Emperor

If blacks and every other race under the sun can segregate themselves, why is it suddenly wrong when whites do it?
Old May 13, 2003, 23:26   #8
HolyWarrior
Prince

Local Time: 19:24
Looks like Boortz is right on the money. O'Reilly can dish it out, but can't take it. It's time for a Boot to the Skull
Old May 13, 2003, 23:40   #9
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia
If blacks and every other race under the sun can segregate themselves, why is it suddenly wrong when whites do it?
it's wrong when anyone does it.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old May 13, 2003, 23:48   #10
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Local Time: 01:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Aaaaaaaaa geeeze! I will have to keep Steve from seeing this thread Since he works nights he listens to all the talk radio shows, actually I think he's addicted, but he loves Bortz.
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old May 14, 2003, 01:31   #11
Berzerker
Emperor

The irony is that O'Reilly is constantly accusing people of having ulterior motives, especially people who don't go on his show for whatever reason (O'Reilly usually says they're scared). He acts as if people are obliged to go on his show and be subjected to his rude behavior and demagoguery. I remember a Catholic professor at Purdue or Notre Dame on the Factor whom O'Reilly accused of wanting to cover up the pedophile problems in the Catholic church simply because the guest didn't think it was inappropriate for the Pope to not meet with pedophile victims on a trip to some big celebration in Toronto. His favorite term of late is calling people "witch hunters" for pointing out such things as William Bennett's hypocrisy on the gambling matter.

So Boortz had the audacity to accuse O'Reilly of having another reason for making such a big deal out of this issue, the fact O'Reilly made a joke about inner city kids stealing hub caps at a function to honor those very kids. Hey, O'Reilly's joke was funny, but he has been getting heat for it. I sure thought he was going after this "prom" because of the backlash over his joke.
Old May 14, 2003, 02:42   #12
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

So where does this leave people who hate Boortz, O'reilly, AND all those damn crackers who had their damn prom???
Albert Speer
Old May 14, 2003, 02:51   #13
Berzerker
Emperor

I believe it leaves them hating Boortz, O'Reilly and those crackers.
Old May 14, 2003, 02:54   #14
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

god damn honkey crackers! why don't they listen to some neil sedaka, drink some home made moonshine, shoot themselves and get it over with!
Albert Speer
Old May 14, 2003, 22:13   #15
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by orange

it's wrong when anyone does it.
Funny how only whites get noticed for doing it.
Old May 14, 2003, 22:35   #16
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia

Funny how only whites get noticed for doing it.
didnt boshko post something about his school allowing segregation of black students by choice like few days ago?