Old May 13, 2003, 22:53   #1
gsmoove23
Warlord

Local Time: 01:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Got depression?
Has anyone here suffered with serious bouts of depression? I was just curious, within the last couple of years I've come to the realization that I have and have always had a serious problem with depression. Before, I don't think I ever noticed it or simply didn't acknowledge it as such, but as I've grown a little bit older and become much better at interacting with people(I used to be a complete recluse, improved very much in the last few years) its slowly dawned on me that my life and feelings aren't quite kosher.

My depression isn't manic depression or involve me EVER thinking of suicide(that would involve far too much effort). Its basically an all around listlessness (that I've always thought was just plain laziness, maybe it is) and an all around lack of hope in my ability to change anything in myself or the world around me. I got through school just fine by doing the absolute bare minimum but when I got into the real world I found it got harder and harder to cope with the stuff you have to do just to live, like paying bills, finding work, keeping in touch with friends and family...

Recently, these problems have just gotten worse and I'm considering therapy but don't know how to go about it and frankly, I'm skeptical that it can help me. Whining to someone about my problems for 50 minutes a week just doesn't seem very helpful(I say as I whine to you all). Well, share your feelings, experiences, expertise on the subject, what have you. Have you been successful dealing with depression? Have you had any experience with medicating your mental problems?
Old May 13, 2003, 22:54   #2
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 20:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I combat it with ultra violence and depressants!
Old May 13, 2003, 23:00   #3
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 21:25
Provost Harrison has suffered from depression, I don't know if he's feeling better or not yet.

Do you have a decent social life? If not, you may be becoming too self-absorbed.
Old May 13, 2003, 23:04   #4
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 18:25
I went through a rather bad depression at the end of college, centered around my sexuality and coming out. Once I started the coming out process, it gradually began to lift. I realized I had had a low-grade depression for a long time before that, but it had come to great intensity my senior year because of anxiety over the future.

I was put on Zoloft, but it didn't do a damn thing for me, but that's because my depression was totally about self-image. Once I was able to tear down my existence to it's base and start loving myself unconditionally, I was able to rebuild and the depression subsided totally.

While I've had some unhappy times, I have been depression-free since then.
Old May 13, 2003, 23:04   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 19:25
I've had a problem with it ever since I was about 12. I was first medicated for it at 14, on and off since then.

I'm on an SSRI again right now, and seeing a psychologist, but it's not because of depression mainly. It's my social anxiety crap, but the medication (Celexa) treats both at the same time. I'm up to 40mg/day right now, and aside from the insomnia/headaches/muscle tightness of the first few days there's no side-effects for me.

I think it's working. Eventually I'm going up to 80mg/day, but already at 40 I'm noticing that my anxiety levels are reduced, which could be why I'm not as depressed, or it also could be because it's summer and I'm raking in money and just got a bunch of crap off my shoulders with the 'rents.

Medication isn't for everyone, sometimes you just need to change some things in your life. But medication worked for me.
Old May 13, 2003, 23:08   #6
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

sleeping pills are good short term solver, but then again, I mentioned depressant already.

Even without pills.... Sleeping off your stress and depression is the best way to cope IMO (coping not solving ).
Old May 13, 2003, 23:27   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Im off work, with pay. It's gotten to the point where I get too sad to do anything anymore.

Ive been diagnosed with:

Mild schizophrenia
Post-tramatic Stress Disorder
Major Depression with Psychotic Symptoms
Obessive-Compulsive disorder
and Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
Old May 13, 2003, 23:48   #8
korn469
Emperor

i've been really depressed before, for me an unexpected near death experience (falling in a freezing river) helped me find my way out of the darkness.

my best coping strategy now is to exercise regularly (and i'm talking like an hour or two a day 5 or 6 days a week if you have time)
Old May 13, 2003, 23:51   #9
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Suffered with horrible boughts since I was about 8. I finally put myself in therapy. I was like you and didn't think it would help at all but it did. It gave me alot of tools to use that help me when I feel the blues coming on. But again, there are times when I'm not so strong and simply give into it like I've been doing the past two days. Some days it's all I can do to function much past getting up off of the couch.
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old May 13, 2003, 23:56   #10
Oerdin
Deity

Tass: Were you in the Russian Army or something? I'm wondering about the post-tramatic stress disorder.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 14, 2003, 00:10   #11
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 15:25
My thread.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=84038

people have actually given good advice.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 14, 2003, 00:20   #12
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
Im off work, with pay. It's gotten to the point where I get too sad to do anything anymore.

Ive been diagnosed with:

Mild schizophrenia
Post-tramatic Stress Disorder
Major Depression with Psychotic Symptoms
Obessive-Compulsive disorder
and Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
I only have chronic insomnia, but I'd like to think I have many other mental illness... (easier to just say I have it then blame it on myself... and that I get more medication )
Old May 14, 2003, 00:27   #13
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

I heard a line from a song yesterday........I'm not crazy I'm just a little unwell. I would like to add to that statement that I have a prescription for prozac what's your excuse? I know I'm off but I take medication for it.......and you?
Old May 14, 2003, 00:33   #14
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiamat
I heard a line from a song yesterday........I'm not crazy I'm just a little unwell.
Quote:
All day...staring at the ceiling,
Making friends with shadows on my wall.
All night...hearing voices telling me
That I should get some sleep,
Because tomorrow might be good for something .

Hold on
Feeling like I'm headed for a breakdown
And I don't know why

[Chorus]
But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
I know, right now you can't tell
But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired
I know, right now you don't care
But soon enough you're gonna think of me
And how I used to be...me

I'm talking to myself in public
Dodging glances on the train
And I know, I know they've all been talking about me
I can hear them whisper
And it makes me think there must be something wrong
with me
Out of all the hours thinking
Somehow I've lost my mind

[Chorus]

I've been talking in my sleep
Pretty soon they'll come to get me
Yeah, they're taking me away

[Chorus]

Yeah, how I used to be
How I used to be
Well, I'm just a little unwell
How I used to be
How I used to be
I'm just a little unwell...
Old May 14, 2003, 00:35   #15
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Thank you Asher I like that line. It says it all.......I'm not crazy just a bit unwell.
Old May 14, 2003, 00:41   #16
Kramerman
Prince

ive had it, but probably pretty small time compared to most of yall. it still sucks tho. And when i think about it, its root causes seem... not stupid... but something i could have easily dealt with before. Its strange.

Even now, when i talk about it so rationally, it seems to disappear, but it always seems to creep back over a variable period of time. Its gotten much better tho, ever since i achieved closure with a girl i know... but its not gone. Ive sorted out many of the other sources too, yet it stil lingers... i think the girl is still the cause, which makes me feel rediculous. The only way to completely cure that part would be to completely cut myself off from her, but we are good friends, and that would be terrible...

Ill be kind of moving away this summer tho, so hopefulkly i can meet new girls... but its so hard...
Old May 14, 2003, 09:17   #17
gsmoove23
Warlord

Thanks for all the posts people, I'm always bowled over by how many people have similar problems, since no one ever brings it up in polite conversation. It took me awhile to even hit the submit button on this thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia
Do you have a decent social life? If not, you may be becoming too self-absorbed.
Never really had a decent social life, but I've slowly improved as time went on. I used to look at friends and girlfriends as a way to get rid of the problem but they usually end up just being distractions from it. When I'm with them I can pretend there is no problem, yet I go home and its still there.

I would reply to more of your great posts but I gotta run. Be back later.
Old May 14, 2003, 09:40   #18
Jac de Molay
Prince

Basically drank for five years straight to deal with my severe depression from '97-'02. Im 33 now, and came to the realization that handling depression almost requires a holistic approach (without medication which made me feel worse).

Lift weights and mountain bike. Eat well. Meditate. Write in a journal and do a lot of creative writing. It's amazing how much people allow themselves to become separated between body and mind, and then turn to a doctor and say "fix me". You have to invest in yourself every single day.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old May 14, 2003, 09:42   #19
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 02:25
After my dad died I drank too much got very lazy and was prone to anger of very trivial things(It would normally need a truck to go thrugh my front room to get me worked up). It lasted about 3 months.
Old May 14, 2003, 09:45   #20
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 03:25
Nope, not since the 1930's.
Old May 14, 2003, 10:51   #21
Garth Vader
King

I can't help you with a way to cure the problem, I haven't found that yet. Anti-depressants didn't do it for me, I felt like I wasn't myself, like I was drugged, probably cause I was!

But my advice for doing the day to day stuff is to have a routine. I do my grocery shopping at the same time each week, I generally talk to family at the same time, etc. Since I seldom ever feel like doing anything this forces me to get things done.
Old May 14, 2003, 19:42   #22
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:25
Since my boss died and the future of the practice where I work is still quite up in the air I've been getting anxious and depressed. Some people have suggested that I buy the place, but I'm not sure about it. We're a small practice surrounded by a mammoth practice that utterly dominates a three county area. In the past few years we've been losing ground. I just hate the idea of uprooting my family.
Old May 14, 2003, 19:44   #23
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Got depression?
yes...
Old May 14, 2003, 19:53   #24
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Got depression?
Nope, never had and I hope I never do. I guess I've always just had a positive out look on life.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 14, 2003, 19:55   #25
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

glad to hear that Oerdin... trust me, it sucks
Old May 14, 2003, 19:59   #26
Japher
Emperor

Depression sucks so I don't bother with it anymore. I just drink lots of alcohol so that I forget how big of a loser I am... works for me

Hell, eveyone is a loser, so I guess me being a bigger one has really done wonders to boost my ego...
Old May 14, 2003, 20:06   #27
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Depression sucks so I don't bother with it anymore. I just drink lots of alcohol so that I forget how big of a loser I am... works for me

Hell, eveyone is a loser, so I guess me being a bigger one has really done wonders to boost my ego...
Unfortunately, this is one of the problems I have. I drink much more then I should. I only get totally loaded like once a month or so but I still end up drinking like 2-4 nights a week.
Old May 14, 2003, 20:07   #28
Japher
Emperor

At least you aren't depressed

When people ask me how much I drink I tell them "all of it."
Old May 14, 2003, 20:27   #29
Kramerman
Prince

i dont drink or take drugs. i wanna deal with this on my own. My grandparents didnt have any fancy smancy drugs or shrinks. They just dealt with their hard lives. I have it SO easy compared to them, if i still cant do it, then i AM a loser. But i can, it'll just take time and thinking. I am gaining ground. Some days, like today, I even wonder if its gone... maybe it is.. maybe the stinking cloud will come back... but i will win in the end.
Old May 14, 2003, 20:32   #30
Japher
Emperor

Good attitude Kramerman

Yet

I don't drink or smoke to reason with my head - DM

I drink to forget and give my mind a rest