Old May 14, 2003, 03:56   #1
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 19:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Amazon ad?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=53218

From this post, I tried an experiment here at Apolyton, and had the same results here as I have at CFC.

The first time I go to the Apolyton main page, www.apolyton.net , in any window, I get a redirect to http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/su...267609-9609642 . It is only the first time I try to go to the Apolyton main page in a window; subsequent attempts in that particular window will take me to the main page. This also happens if I have multiple windows open; any tiime I go to Apolyton's main page in a window for the first time in that window, it redirects.

This is using IE 6, the latest version. It doesn't happen in either Netscape or Opera. I have tried 3 different computers, and it happens on all three. Windows XP Pro and Home, and Windows 2000 OS.
Old May 14, 2003, 03:59   #2
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 03:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
on our main page (www.apolyton.net), do you get any warnings on parasites?
Old May 14, 2003, 05:49   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:26
Isn't our main page apolyton.net (without the www.)
Old May 14, 2003, 07:06   #4
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

It doesn't matter, does it (with or without the www.)?
Old May 14, 2003, 13:34   #5
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 19:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
No, it doesn't matter with or without the www.

On the three computers I use, I get no warning about parasites, MarkG; and I used to see the warning on this computer. I do get the following file: parasite.js with the internet address: http://apolyton.net/parasite.js in my temporary internet files showing 9 KB in size, original date January 23, 2003.

On the computer I am currently on, I know it has spyware (Xupiter among others), but I don't have admin privileges for the computer so I can't remove any spyware from it.

I ran spybot on one of my home computers last night and it came up clean; I will run adaware on both and spybot on the other computer when I get home and see if that makes a difference. I did run both spybot and adaware several times since this problem started and they haven't shown any spyware the last two times I have run them. I update both programs before I run the scans.
Old May 14, 2003, 16:17   #6
Rasbelin
Emperor

http://apolyton.net is Apolyton's official and primary address, which is e.g. used for PR and such.