View Poll Results: Are captured workers slaves?
No - Firaxis have misrepresented the unit cost 1 7.14%
Yes - You are a silly leper 11 78.57%
Captured workers, are in fact, bananas 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16, 2003, 19:07   #31
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 03:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What I really miss on ACS is the ability of military units to whip the slaves to make the lazy suckers work faster,,,

I remember someone here suggesting that.
Old May 16, 2003, 22:42   #32
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 18:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

I think the only facts at issue in the thread are: Are there any circumstances in which foreign workers require upkeep, and if so, what are the circumstances? Any answer of "yes, there is upkeep in some circumstances" would probably be applicable to very limited circumstances, since it's pretty clear that slaves "normally" (never?) require upkeep.
I finished my latest game, and then reloaded to the last turn to disband any native workers. After disbanding all I could find, I still had several listed as part of my "army" in the F3 screen. But (But #1) the workers located at the spot indicated by the F3 map were clearly identified as foreign slaves. But (But #2) disbanding such workers didn't reduce the number of units in my "army." WTF? Since this was not a test environment (and I later found at least one native worker) and I couldn't track variables accurately, I decided to set up a test scenario.

I set up a scenario that allowed me to have, shortly after 4000 BC, (i) a native worker; (ii) a purchased worker; (iii) a captured worker; (iv) a "razee" worker; and (v) a worker built from a conquered city made up of foreign citizens. I played the scenario several times (enough for me) but not enough to bang my fist on the table with a "I have the answer!" sort of response.

My conclusions:

Conclusion 1: Slave workers never cost upkeep. However acquired (purchase, conquest, razing, built from cities of all foreigners), so long as the worker is identified as "Worker (Other Civ)" it is free of upkeep and also works half as fast as your own native workers. This remained true regardless of whether the worker's civ remained in the game or was eliminated.

Conclusion 2: The F3 "army" screen does not work the way one would expect; i.e. it is FUBAR. So long as I only had one native worker, my army only identified one worker (with captured workers in the scroll box below). With the addition of a second native worker, the F3 "army" would correctly show 2 workers, but right-clicking on the units from F3 would pull up non-native workers sometimes, and one or more native workers sometimes (seemingly randomly). I had renamed each worker according to its method of acquisition (i.e., "razee worker," "purchased worker") and these workers would show up in the F3 army. However, if I activated that specific unit and then disbanded it, or disbanded it directly from the right-click menu on F3, the army still showed 2 workers, the unit count didn't change, and one of the 2 workers shown simply changed its identity (i.e., from "razee worker" to "captured worker"). However, if I manually located a native worker and disbanded it -- the F3 army was reduced by one worker (which still might be identified incorrectly), and the unit count went down. In other words, the F3 army listing correctly tabulated the number of native workers that require upkeep, but just about always misidentified the name and location of such workers.

So, in summary, I believe that the F3 screen correctly counts the number of native workers, but is wildly inaccurate in identifying them and their locations. I believe that slave workers, however acquired, do not require upkeep and will work at half speed.

Catt

BTW, I have no idea whether a city made up of a mix of native and foreign workers will always produce a native worker, or will randomly (or by some other method) select among the native and foreign citizens. The nature of my scenario, having cribed it from another test scenario I had made, meant that I had a very large cultural lead over the enemy civ -- consequently, I was assimilating foreign citizens fairly quickly -- a few turns after taking a city the 6 foreign citizens might suddenly be 4 foreigners and 2 natives even though no new pop was added nor foreign citizens starved. In the limited number of times this happened, if I then produced a worker, it was always a "native" worker, identified as so, requiring upkeep, and working at my native rate -- the city's pop reflected the loss of a native citizen as well. So, it is certainly possible to produce native workers from seemingly foreign cities shortly after conquest if you have a chance of assimilating foreigners quickly. I further suspect (but don't know) that there is a chance that assimilation might happen just before production meaning that you could end a turn with a city of all foreigners and the next turn produce a native worker from that city. The native worker will be identified as "Worker" instead of "Worker (Other Civ)."
Old May 16, 2003, 22:55   #33
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 02:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Thanks for that research Catt - and thanks to Arrian to. I wasn't right about my idea (captured slaves DO require upkeep) but I will be playing close attention to my military advisor on my investigation.

Don't take it the wrong way - I firmly believe you're right. But I want to check for myself, because - I'm like that?

Will have a good play and get back within 1 week. Sorry, got a lot of commitments right now and Civ must be on hold till I get my life back on track (I miss it already - but the CD stays out of the drive till I've got the time).

Thanks again Catt.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 19, 2003, 08:37   #34
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 21:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Catt,

That absolutely jives with my recollection. I haven't finished my current German game yet, but I will try what you tried (I currently have 6 workers listed on my F3 screen, the rest are slaves).

Quote:
Conclusion 2: The F3 "army" screen does not work the way one would expect; i.e. it is FUBAR.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.