Old May 15, 2003, 12:38   #1
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 02:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Opening moves 2102
Hiya Pirates,First turn received.

Position 52, 64

looks like landfall to the west

3 colony pods 4 movements each and a gunsloop.
1 mineral resource immediately south of colony pods.

So where to build first base and directions for other pods.

we have 24 hrs and we can take each move 1 at a time.

First base name

Also what shall I call myself Captain Hercules? (the Greek)

Last edited by Hercules; May 15, 2003 at 20:04.
Old May 15, 2003, 15:14   #2
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 20:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Cuspidore Brownbeard here.

(sorry for this long post - maybe I should be Cuspidore Blowhard instead ; there is a concrete proposition or two in here, so at least skimming through to the end is requested)

Based on the depths and shading in our little window, and the gossip of the mermaids, it is possible that there is some land just beyond our view to the SouthEast.

Methinks it's a tad unsavory to look at the gridlines to tell where the land is, but we are an unsavory lot, we Pirates, so based on our "inherent seafaring nose for land", it would seem that there are some major geological features a few days sail to the East (a definite large landmass) and a less dramatic skyline to the West, but still definite indications of elevation, also about 2 day's sail away. To the North and South, there are small ripples here and there which would suggest occasional small islands (although a large flat low-lying area could be anywhere).

My suggestion would be to cruise around the min special counterclockwise with the gunship - (51,65), (51,67), (53,67) to check out the immediate area and see whether or not there is any land to the SE. Secondly, I would take one of the SCP's and go due West with it for its full move unless land pops up or as is otherwise possible given fungus conditions. Third, move a second SCP simililarly to the east (perhaps waiting and/or deviating a little to help explore the SE in behalf of the 3rd Pod). Lastly, move the 3rd SCP to (53,65). If there is land in sight, build a base (this turn if comfortable enough with the geogrphy) in the nicest looking spot adjacent to the land, while keeping the MinSpecial within the production limits. This 3rd CP would be founding the HQ base in the general area we are in at the beginning. I imagine that Googlie salted this vicinity with good stuff he thinks the Pirates would appreciate, like monoliths (it would be great if he gave us a sea monolith), bonus tiles, rivers, rum and whatnot. (In another game he designed, he put the Borehole Complex in Pirate territory.)

There is always a trade off between cruising around scoping out the terrain to pick the best spot and getting started a few turns earlier, so I would propose adding this Law into the [u]Compleat Buccaneer's Book of Etiquette[u]: [i]No Captain Shall be made to Walk the Plank after on account of their base site selection by second-guessing in light of later terrain info. Bad decisions in the face of adequate knowledge is another matter - subject to punishments not to exceed Keel-Hauling .

If we want to divide up the turn play, I would suggest one person to move the ships (that could lso be broken down into Explore(with the gunship) and Colonize (with the SCP's) for 2 people to do) and another to operate bases. Other roles at this point could be Research director and Terraforming Crew Boss. Basically, once the 3 colonies get planted and the base productions set, there won't be much to do for the next 5 or 10 turns, unless we get some pod windfalls.

Speaking of Pods, I would suggest that we refrain from popping pods which are likely to be within a future base until that base is built, giving us the good-pop effect for those pods (although earthquakes can happen, which are fatal for ships that are too close).

As a offer to get us moving, I'm willing to move our ships this turn (according to the plan above or whatever other general plan might be recommended by a Captains' Consensus) and turn over the rest of the turn to the Base Operations Captain (assuming I founded a base, taking my chance on being keelhauled) who could then do their thing with the base's name, production, etc. I'm willing to do this role for 10 years (or thru 2110 to get/keep our shifts on even dates). After a few years, the Sea Operations Captain would essentially become the Exploration Captain (and the role would be to just pilot the gunship) while the Base Operations Captain would have most of the work. After 10 years, we could rotate jobs and have a Terraforming Captain and/or a Land Forces Captain to also join in the actual play of the turns.
Old May 15, 2003, 15:16   #3
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

*points up* What he said Seriously though, that sound like a good plan - if there's land to the east as the mermaids tell, having our base 'cling' to the isle should work well

Hey base production! I've done that before ^_^ Just as long as one of ye rough & tumbles spells me later -- a lass could get tired of nothing to do but drink rum when ther's new oceans t'be explored! *thinks* We already have rec tank equivalents, so what's the first move? An, um Brigadier unit (ScoutP) for the Port Authority to police our rowdy citizens perhaps. We won't have formers for a bit, so perhaps another Gunsloop or two after that (to make up for the one lost to Googlie Neptune

Well if we're all pirate clans I guess you can be whatever you want?

Last edited by Makahlua; May 15, 2003 at 15:31.
Old May 15, 2003, 18:20   #4
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Cuspidore Brownbeard, I think that's a damn good plan yi've suggested. Your years on the high seas have taught you well.

I would ask that you wait a short while to see if Capt'n Flame (Flashman) and GeminiRai chime in.

Also just before you save and exit could you save the turn as per SP and then send it to us or post it in this thread, so we can all have a look at where we're at.

Re tech search choice what are your views on Capt'n Makuhlua (Texas O' Malley) beeline proposal. Changing tech direction next turn seems to cost min, so best to decide at outset.

re playing turn yep Ok with me. But await reasonable time for other team members to contribute.
Old May 15, 2003, 19:01   #5
johndmuller
King

Cap'n H, I'll wait until late tonight to play the turn, unless there is something posted here to the contrary from FF or someone else.

I had planned to save off the game before exiting and post it here for Capt'n Makuhlua to tinker with the base production and whatever of the HeadQuarters Base I hope to found near our starting point or to finish off the selection of sites if I can't decide among multiple good possibilities - and for her to save it off as below. In the event that there are no credible sites nearby, I will probably just post the pre-exit save here and the post-exit-save on the main public thread or whereever it belongs.

I don't think that we will have to make a research selection until after we have some production, but I could be wrong. In any event, I posted something (indecisive) on the Chartroom thread representing my thoughts (or lack thereof) on the subject.
Old May 15, 2003, 20:02   #6
Hercules
Deity

I have just authorised Capt'n Flame. So he should be joining us soon.
Old May 15, 2003, 20:51   #7
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 19:35
One thing I always like is establishing a base on the shoreline.

I also like having the headquarters somewhat out in the middle of everything... just make sure it's well surrounded by other ships... in simulations I've run as the Drones I can always wipe out the AI Pirates quickly thanks to my higher production and a swarm of ships.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old May 15, 2003, 21:09   #8
Hercules
Deity

Just noticed I said West at the start, I meant East of course with the sea shelf.

If GeminiRai doesn't weigh in with something to the contrary, I think Cuspidore you have our aye ayes Cap'n
Old May 15, 2003, 22:07   #9
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Uh... Herc... could you e-mail me the turn? I can't seem to download it from 'poly. I'd like to take a look at what we're talking about.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old May 16, 2003, 04:51   #10
johndmuller
King

Description of turn - Headline: No base founded yet
Well Maties, it turned out that there was indeed some land to the SE; in fact there is lots of land all around and quite a lot of "stuff" to look at in our neighborhood. So after stumbling into one special after another, it seemed better to use up all the movement looking around instead of founding a base too quickly and regretting the exact placement later. In fact, my initial thoughts were to put the base at (51,67), looking at a Monolith, Min and Nut specials, and an adjacent (good) pod in the base area, which is not a bad place, but the Min special I could see at that point at (52,66) has fungus (an unfungused one later turned up at (48,68), somewhat reviving the fortunes of the original site idea), and the grass started to looking very green further east. Having seen all the good stuff Googlie seeded our area with on the east, I am now favoring establishing not 1, but 2 bases in this general area instead of immediately barging in on our neighbors to the farther east, to make more with what the Googs is offering right here anad now. Ye olde parrot in the hook, versus the parakeets in the rigging.

I am currently thinking that we can use SCP #!, at (49,69), to place a base at (53,69) - on the Nut special itself to give us good nut production right off the bat - with just one worker, at the monolith, I think that it would produce 7 nuts (5 in the base tile) which should help jump start our population growth; the 2 pods within the base perimeter should give us some good stuff, perhaps another monolith, a lot of money, an extra gunboat, whatever, hopefully at least 1 enduring good thing and no earthquakes or sonar scans. There are still 5 unknown tiles in that base area too, which likely will contain a pleasant surprise or two

The potential base site at (57,63) looks just too good to pass up, with 2 Mins a Nut and an Energy special (and 4 tiles still to be revealed) and a location that also bridges the gap between two pieces of our archipelago; I am suggesting that we use SCP #3, at (58,64), to plant a base there next turn, maybe with a little more exploration while on the way to reveal those 4 unknown tiles.

SCP #2 at (49,61) is still headed west, if it can find a way out of this maze (preferably without going through fungus); there looks to be an opening through (48,60), but there will likely be more islets and temptations in that direction too. The gunship is slated to pop the pod at (50,68) sometime after the base at (53,69) is established, then to take a counterclockwise cruise around our current area and llink up with SCP #2 in the northwest somewhere unless other adventures beckon more strongly.

So, I'm proposing that we plant 2 bases next turn, at (53,69) and (57,63), and continue exploring west with the remaining SCP and in other directions with the gunship.

Meanwhile, we need to think about what items we will produce at these bases; I figured we might need to think about that a little bit too.

I'm sure that there are plenty of considerations I've overlooked in the analysis above; please explore other options and float other propositions.

Since we don't have any bases, I just finished off the turn and am posting the pre-exit-save here and the post-exit save in the turn tracking thread here.

Well blow me down, it looks like you can't attach files to posts in here; I guess I'll have to email the pre-exit saves to you'alls. Herc, please lobby whomever to allow attachments in here if possible.
Old May 16, 2003, 06:42   #11
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

Cap'n John's orders, illustrated:
Red with the East colPod indicates a possible exploration route that still leaves us sufficient moves to found the colony next turn; Pink the eventual path of the gunsloop; I hope the rest are obvious!

Last edited by Makahlua; May 16, 2003 at 21:28.
Old May 16, 2003, 09:25   #12
Hercules
Deity

You did well Cuspidore Brownbeard in resisting the temptation to found our first pirate base at the attractive 51,67 and your expeditionary crew have indeed uncovered wonderful assets.

I think your proposals for the location of the first two bases are right. With the emigration ship in the west, after a bit of exploration, I hope we could establish a base with access to specials. Could we afford not to build that turn. However if no specials found I suppose it would be a short sighted to build.

Can I congratulate Makahlua on the swift and excellent chart presentation of Cuspidore's exploration, to captains and crew.
Old May 16, 2003, 10:45   #13
FlameFlash
Emperor

I approve of all the future movements... especially of the fact that we establish two bases in the next turn...

I think that the sea colony pod should explore first to the west (lowest green arrow) and if the lighter seas are any indication that there's land to the middle green arrow then there may also be a cove... that would be a perfect place to establish a new base, regardless of the size of the island as it would give us the ability to terraform the island without risk of any sea formers being attacked (one of our weaknesses IMHO.)

Personally, I feel that the pod should be popped first in case of an IoD being in the pod... and possibly send the foil north to pop the other pod prior to sending it out to explore.

Another build priority may be to establish a couple of 1-1-1 scout units and a transport ship to do some early shore pod popping as well as exploration...

Using our Doc Flex we could also man the scount transport ship with a 1-1-2 but that would take longer to get off the docks and we should dedicate to building more cities than to building too many pod poppers IMHO.

The supernut city will be a perfect place to build sea colony pods.

Old May 16, 2003, 12:32   #14
johndmuller
King

Nice graphic Maki, it pretty much illustrated my future intentions. How exactly did you get that in there - did you use the "IMG" button? If so, is it accessing your original art on your home page or whatever that is? Or does the Poly server copy it off for you so that the source wouldn't have to be on-line all the time? I suppose it would accept a file from that Poly "Upload" area, if those things are properly addressable.

Does anyone know how that upload thing works; I've never tried it, but I thought about using it to deposit the pre-exit save file, but I didn't want to pay the learning curve just then. Not that it would matter much since the game file has a password, but I wondered if ones upload area is available for browsing by anyone who cares to or if there is some security. It sounds like someone who knew what the file was called could construct a link to it unless it goes thru the trouble to only let the owner post the links.

Regarding the 3rd base, my original idea envisioned building 1 base on turn 1 and the other 2 on turn 3; it looks like we are building none on turn 1 and 2 on turn 2, which is sort of the average for those 2, so we won't have lost any time there. With infantry CP's, I always feel real guilty if I wander around with them too much, you can waste so much precious time exploring with them, especially if you pick a bad direction to go in. With these foil CP's, you can cover a decent amount of territory and having to backtrack isn't such a disaster, so the tradeoff's a little different. Still, running into a fungus patch would slow us right down. Anyway, my initial idea was to check out those 3 1000m+ minimounts you can see to the west in the gridline pattern, being open to the possibility that the Jungle might be there in all the low lying terrain and that we might be able to get a foot in someone's door there, if they happen to be starting out on the other side. That is no doubt a long-shot hope, so I would certainly be amenable to planting that base sooner if another irresistable site presents itself and/or the going gets too tough with fungus or barrier islands or if the Cap'n's Consensus prefers building the base sooner.

Regarding pod popping before or after base planting, I'm a believer in the theory that you don't get bad stuff particularly you don't get Native Life, if you pop a pod within the base perimeter. If you are on land, you can get earthquakes, which can make you wish you hadn't popped it sometimes and will kill off any boats in range, but I don't think that you get earthquakes at sea and the only other dubious things are the interdimensional gate, which would probably be fine at this point and the sonor view, which is generally just disappointing as a wast of what it could have been. If I have time later, I might start a discussion of pod popping in the Chartroom to see what everyone else thinks about them and how we should approach their popping or not popping.
Old May 16, 2003, 16:59   #15
Hercules
Deity

Didn't I read somewhere, least on land, that with the first lifeform ( worm) encountered, up to turn 2110, the faction unit wins based on the worm being given half strength in contests. Even the CP wins. If we attack we get pearls and morale boost if it attacks and we win we just get the morale boost.

Anybody else recall that.

The question remains though, if you pop it inside a base area, is there more chance of goodies.
Old May 16, 2003, 17:17   #16
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:35

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003 at 11:01.
Old May 16, 2003, 21:22   #17
Makahlua
King

Whoa I didn't even realize I had an upload space I'll move it there later, I just uploaded it to my host out of habit.

After what googlie just said, I'm wondering about popping that pod with a colony pod and taking the chance on a cloning; the foil will be right nearby in case of an IoD.....worth a shot d'you think?Going west sounds good for the other pod- we can decide about moving further after we get a better picture of the land.

PS for John - I just moved it, they do have a proper address: http://apolyton.net/upload/(username)/(filename)

Last edited by Makahlua; May 16, 2003 at 21:52.
Old May 16, 2003, 21:55   #18
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003 at 11:02.
Old May 17, 2003, 12:07   #19
Googlie
Emperor

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003 at 11:03.
Old May 17, 2003, 14:21   #20
Googlie
Emperor

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003 at 11:04.
Old May 17, 2003, 21:22   #21
Hercules
Deity

Ok ship mates, the previous goings on elsewhere have little to do with us. The turn is being replayed to this spot.

re our main eastern CP there is no doubt, I think, build at 57, 63.

So re our SCpod heading for 53 69
Question: Can the scp after popping, complete moving to 53,69 and build on the same turn. If yes is it worth the risk.
If it can't reach our preferred base tile 53,69 after popping, are the benefits worth the 1 turn delay.

Shall we just direct the scp to 53, 69 and let the foil pop the pods
Old May 17, 2003, 22:03   #22
Googlie
Emperor

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003 at 11:05.
Old May 18, 2003, 14:35   #23
johndmuller
King

I still like popping after building the base, as the benefits of things like instant build and particularly a resource bonus tile are quite beneficial at this point.

Re the replay, as I posted/emailed, I don't seem to have gotten the correct turn (assuming it is supposed to be different from the first time - same old date on the save file and doesn't open with new pw).

RL calls; I'll check back in in a couple of hours.
Old May 18, 2003, 21:01   #24
johndmuller
King

Maties, we got the albatross off the ground again, hopefully we'll be ready with our build choices, by the time it comes around again. I am planning to move the ships as we seemed to decide before and to found the two bases, making tentative decisions on their names and builds, and then forward the turn to Base Operations Cap'n Maki, who will reevaluate those choices in light of whatever has become the consensus by that time.

Things may move fairly fast for a little while (or they may not),

If someone would forward the end-turn zip to those who were not on the distribution list, that would be nice; I have to leave the bridge for a while.

Cusp. BB
Old May 18, 2003, 23:03   #25
Hercules
Deity

Anybody disagree?
I'm tempted to pop en route, but the need to build to get two bases established is the priority this next turn.
Old May 18, 2003, 23:08   #26
Atlantian
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
Warlord

Local Time: 01:35
I agree with Herc on the next turns priotorities.
"War forced us into the seas. When we came back upon the surface, it was a ruined and desolate place. We knew that it was not long before even the most secluded spot in the seas of Earth was polluted, so we left to the the sea of stars. That is how we came to be on Chiron."
-Dameon McPherson, Leader of the Atlantians, "The Exodus"
Old May 19, 2003, 13:52   #27
johndmuller
King

Annual Report: 2103 - Part 1; Seafaring Operations
Fleet movements were accomplished pretty much according to the plans as discussed in Cap'n Council. We now have the two bases at (53,69) and (57,63). The pod at (5,68) was popped, yielding 75 ec , making us the wealthiest faction at the moment; not bad, but only worth a single issue of rum to the crew, in the opinion of Cap'n BB, as the forward watch had reported a red tide in the distance off the port beam.

Our Gunfoil (perhaps it needs a more colorful name) continued West beyond the Min Special at (48,68) to an anchorage at (46,68), from which viewpoint, all of Treasure Islet can be viewed from aloft (Cap'n BB, in distancing himself from this unimaginative name, would like to point out that the Island was actually named by the Ships' Children on the Nursery Deck). It appears that a reasonable site for a near future (land-based) settlement is at chart location (47,65).

Our remaining SCP skirted the island indicated in the previous survey to the port side and sailed NE thru a narrow strait, with an uninspiring and very small island aport. We sailed north as the winds died down to further check out the larger island, but nothing of interest revealed itself ashore, and a swath of fungus will hinder further exploration of that island. BrownBeard considers these two islands to be of inferior quality, given the information we currently have, and so recommends that the ColonyShip resume the original plan to settle near the mini-mounts, the nearest of which is now a day's sail to the Southwest, according to the view from the crow's nest.

On the next turn, Cap'n BB suggests that the SCP move SW until contact with the minimount landmass is made and then see if a suitable base location presents itself. The Gun Foil should explore further West a few tiles to supplement the SCP's survey from the Eastern side and if no longer needed on survey duty in this vicinity, proceed South and East, circling under and around our 2 initial bases to scope out the Southern and Eastern Reaches.

We established initial production of a Scout and a Transport in the two bases, but we are passing the Hook of Command to Base Operations Cap'n Maki to make the final decisions on Base dispositions.

The research target is not yet established, unless Cap'n Maki chooses to do so in the second part of this turn, but assuming it remains unspecified, it will be necessary to have one in mind for the beginning of the next turn, as it will no doubt insist that we start off 2104 with that selection.

Turn sent to Cap'n Maki and posted
here.
Old May 19, 2003, 17:15   #28
Makahlua
King

Bases: HQ is producing a scout next turn, followed by work on second Gun Sloop (3 turns) {I renamed it } followed by a SeaCP (15 turns), base #2 is Followibg the same pattern, but with a transport first (4,2,4,14 turns). The workers are fine, only move i thought of was to but base 2's workers on the nut square to get our next pop faster, but that doubled production time so I didn't leave it I forgot to set tech to CentEco; I've noticed the game has a tendency to -not- give you SotHB for that 3rd pick and you end up researching CentEco anyway - start terraforming now! I'll insert formers in the queues before the SeaCP's once the tech is ready ( 7 turns, 50 labs/50 econ is our engineering currently) - allo giving our bases time to grow.

PS I also got the 'you have already played this turn' message - is this from John saving it?

Save is here .
Old May 19, 2003, 17:38   #29
Googlie
Emperor

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003 at 11:06.
Old May 19, 2003, 17:43   #30
Googlie
Emperor

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003 at 11:08.