Old May 16, 2003, 10:28   #1
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 20:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Which Civ are you playing right now?
After playing China/Iroquois/Aztecs to death, Ive been trying all sorts of civs lately. I was surprised to find that I really liked civs such as Russia, America and other civs that arent wuite as popular. I've also noticed they have their own unique advantages that I havent noticed before.

My recent games have all been arabs. They are extremly fun to play as after you get over the fact that they are iroquois with weaker riders. In fact theyre actually more than that. I found that I have been underestimating the -10 cost all this time. Upgrade to a horsemen to ansar is 20 gold cheaper than to knights in Regent, and building an ansar in 3 turns as opposed to 4 turns during your GA is pretty neat.

I found that the low defense isnt really a downside cause your ansars dont get attacked much due to increased manuverbility. Most likely you would counter attack most of the units before they even have a chance of approaching you and return right back into the stack of doom anyway. And I find that for once elite knight defending over veteran pikemen fiasco being resolved as a little postive side to actually lowering the defense.
Old May 16, 2003, 11:35   #2
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 01:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Zulus. They're not the best civ but if you can use them to get a good enough start, you should be able to win easily. Two early traits and an early decent UU with a potential early GA sometimes work together. You can be too weighted for an early advantage but if you can manage not to waste it then you're fine.
In this game, I've managed to avoid the early GA. Taking an enemy capital with just two archers helped.

OTOH no-one should underestimate the Arabs. The Americans are definately in the top 4 civs possibly in the top 1.
Old May 16, 2003, 11:48   #3
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 02:41
I'm trying my first game as the Americans at the moment, and as others have noticed, they are a much stronger civ than you might expect, simply because they can lay claim to a lot of land very quickly. On Emperor I've managed to stay #1 in both territory and population for the whole ancient era (normally I manage #1 in territory, but much lower in population).

Having happy, peaceful civs like India, Greece and the Ottomans as neighbours helps of course.
Old May 16, 2003, 12:02   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 21:41
Currently playing Germany. I finished a game as Babylon and decided to stick with the Scientific trait, since it's been so long since I've used it*. Plus, I've never gotten to use Panzers. And hey, I'm supposedly this big warmonger, but I've never really played Germany (with the ignoble exception of any early minitourney on Emperor in which I was soundly trounced).

They aren't going to become one of my favorites, but I'm doing well. Early warfare (archers) netted me tons of slaves (5 settler teams whacked, 1 worker stolen, 2 more taken for peace) and 2 GLs (Pyramids, Great Library) and later (late ancient/early medieval) warfare netted me 4 more (Palace move, Army, Leos, Heroic Epic). Though I'm in a dominant position, making contact with the other continent has shown me that I do have actual competition over there (Egypt is pretty badass), which is good, since I actually want to use my Panzers. First, however, I have to wipe out Joany with my Cavalry (shouldn't be an issue, since she has pikes to try to stop them with) before she can make contact and tell the other civs what a jerk I've been.

-Arrian

* - It is still my opinion that Scientific isn't all that powerful, but it's really nice if you already have a lead... it extends that lead. I'm still using 1.14, btw.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 16, 2003, 12:16   #5
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The Zulus rock until they get humiliated by the Americans (see Strat 4 PBEM, thread 2)...

Dominae
Old May 16, 2003, 12:20   #6
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
I'm trying my first game as the Americans at the moment, and as others have noticed...
Blatant self-reference:

Civ-Specific Strategy: Americans

Dominae
Old May 16, 2003, 12:49   #7
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

I'm playing as the Arabs right now. A great civ! Good for REXing, expanding culture, and making war... good traits and UU for triggering a GA at a number of different times. I'm not sure how they'd fare at a higher level, but on regent they give you a lot of choices.

My only regret is that they're not commercial. I'd like to put those Ansars to real use but I started way up north and the rest of the continent seems so far away. Corruption will be an issue...
Old May 16, 2003, 12:54   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Wow, Dominae, I forgot what a good thread that was (yeah, I just re-read the whole thing ). Even the two different threadjacks - both of which were my fault

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 16, 2003, 13:00   #9
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Wow, Dominae, I forgot what a good thread that was (yeah, I just re-read the whole thing ). Even the two different threadjacks - both of which were my fault
Because of you and some PBEM games, I have a greater respect for Culture now...still not that great, but you did have an effect. And all this because of an Americans thread!

Dominae
Old May 16, 2003, 13:11   #10
Arrian
Deity

Sweet!

I don't build temples quite as aggressively as I used to, by the way. You made me stop and think about just automatically building them right away. Now, I think to myself "ok Rob, do you really need that temple now, or maybe a couple of extra warriors, then a settler, and THEN a temple?" Which way works best for the overall growth of my civ? The result has been that I still build the temples, and still build 'em early, but not quite as early as I once did.

-Arrian

Old May 16, 2003, 13:14   #11
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
I don't build temples quite as aggressively as I used to, by the way.
So we both "won" that argument. That is sweet.

Dominae
Old May 16, 2003, 13:45   #12
Purple
Prince

I have made it a point to play each civ until I win at least once. So far I've met that goal, with one exception. I'm currently playing the Vikings, and it finally looks like I will achieve a victory. To get to this point I had to abandon many, many games, when I was getting ground into the dust.

Maybe it's my playstyle, maybe it's the beserk UU, or maybe it's just the luck of the draw in terms of starting positions. At any rate, for me, the Vikings are the toughest civ to play.
Old May 16, 2003, 13:58   #13
Arrian
Deity

I still have never played as England, Russia, Zululand, Korea, Spain, Vikings, and the Arabs*

*I did have an abortive Arab game that was killed due to my comp crashing, and there was my (again, abortive) start go AU202.

Now that I'm on my way to a solid German win (UP, actually), I may actually go and play some of the civs I don't like, such as the English, just to do it. I did that with the Mongols, and things went pretty well (though I still don't like that trait combo, or the UU, to be honest).

-Arrian

Old May 16, 2003, 14:10   #14
inca911
Warlord

Quote:
I don't build temples quite as aggressively as I used to, by the way. You made me stop and think about just automatically building them right away. Now, I think to myself "ok Rob, do you really need that temple now, or maybe a couple of extra warriors, then a settler, and THEN a temple?" The result has been that I still build the temples, and still build 'em early, but not quite as early as I once did.

-Arrian
Same here. Except that I will first rush a temple in a city if it's a border city. I want as much culture as possible to encourage an AI city to flip.

Right now, I'm finishing an Emperor game and the random civ selection gave me the Japanese on a small land mass Pangea. It's been a while since I played the Japanese, and Samurai are now overrunning the world. The Zulu were stupid enough to declare war early on (the AI saw it had more troops and attacked, too bad much of my smaller army were Swordsmen!). The Persians are the only ones left and the end is near since a horse raid pillaged their only link to Saltpeter. Arrian the Warmonger would be proud of the destruction the Japanese have caused....
Old May 16, 2003, 14:11   #15
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 18:41
I have been playing Random for several months, but have been playing Rome for the past couple games. I appreciate my Legions doing road projects, and keep a few even into modern times.

Legions (in my mod) can build roads & forts but the AI would probably not use those capabilities, so I might as well make use of them myself.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 16, 2003, 14:13   #16
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 19:41
Been working the Celts allot lately, personally. They are the first of the PTW civs I have really tried. Trying to find new ways to utilize their UU, and Golden Age...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old May 16, 2003, 14:13   #17
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Purple
I have made it a point to play each civ until I win at least once. So far I've met that goal, with one exception. I'm currently playing the Vikings, and it finally looks like I will achieve a victory. To get to this point I had to abandon many, many games, when I was getting ground into the dust.
This was my experience with the Vikings as well. After restarting 6 times, I achieved my #5 victory ever as them... but still, when I move to Monarch, I will be skipping this largely worthless civ with their seemingly overrated UU.
Old May 16, 2003, 14:51   #18
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Been working the Celts allot lately, personally. They are the first of the PTW civs I have really tried. Trying to find new ways to utilize their UU, and Golden Age...
New ways? What way do you need? Build GS's, overrun the world with GS's, enjoy.
Old May 16, 2003, 15:10   #19
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Using Egypt. Egypt is such a powerful civ in the trait department even if the UU isn't anything to shout about. Though I also like the Chinese.

Sell your photos
Old May 16, 2003, 18:08   #20
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 18:41
China, Japan and the Ottomans seems to be my "go to" civs because of their UUs. Meaning, if I have a poor game with another civ, you can be pretty certain my next one is going to be playing aggressively as one of those three. But I spread it out fairly evenly. My intent is to play them all. The civs I have not played at all are Zulu, Carthage, Mongols and Arabs. I have yet to complete a game as Korea after several starts.
Old May 16, 2003, 19:57   #21
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

I'm playing Carthage right now. I like their traits, but not their UU. It's too expensive and I feel I don't have a real cheap defender (spearman)... Otherwise, I'm doing OK...

I like the Japs, pretty much all of the industrious civs and especially the English on a huge map; they can do wonders!

--Kon, 11 post before custom avatar--
Old May 16, 2003, 21:24   #22
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nakar Gabab
New ways? What way do you need? Build GS's, overrun the world with GS's, enjoy.
That's what I mean. Even with a GA and despotism, they are expensive as hell, and if I wait till Republic/Monarchy, GS lose their advantage to Pikes somewhat.

Recently I've been beelining to Monarchy, then switching and upgrading a few warriors, then bank most of the GA for a major mass upgrade of knights. (I play mostly on Emperor, btw)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old May 16, 2003, 21:47   #23
ToeTruck
Warlord

Carthage
My big kick lately has been the Carthaginians. Very flexible, very powerful and an excellent UU (even if it does cause early GA's).

Before Carthage came along, I played a bunch as France so I'm familiar with its dynamics. The UU stunk, but the Industrious-Commercial combination is especially powerful. IMHO

You can go for Writing and try the GL strategy which is very strong at Deity. I love this approach when the AI hems you in and you can only must 6-12 city sites.

Or you can do the Mathematics => Currency route if you are playing at lower levels and have the time to build the Pyramids. Your cultural is a bit delayed as opposed to playing a Religious civ, but the extra revenue and happiness from Marketplaces really pays off.

Next week it will probably be something else, though.

- TT
Old May 17, 2003, 14:27   #24
Aeson
Emperor

I'm playing the English on a huge map currently. Maybe English scouts just suck... but I opened 20+ huts and got a grand total of 0 techs! (the first and fifth ones gave Settlers though )

Overall it's one of the weirdest maps I've ever seen. Huge/Pangaea with 8 civs. About 80-90% of the landmass is known, with 6 civs (myself included). Not sure where the other two are, but they must be bottled up together on a smallish island. Another weird thing is that 5 of the 6 civs are on half of the main continent, and the 6th civ (Spain) has the other half completely to themselves. There are 2 isthmus that connect the two halves, both pretty rough terrain.
Old May 17, 2003, 15:05   #25
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 03:41
I play anything expansionist right now. It really comes to it's right on large and huge maps. Recently Americans and Vikings, currently Zulu.
Old May 17, 2003, 21:13   #26
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:41
The Greeks. I'm trying to prove they are a viable civ.
Old May 17, 2003, 22:37   #27
Dominae
Emperor

I'm playing as China now. I've yet to use a Rider in battle (weird I know). I'm also trying to see how far you can go with pure Archer offensives. The answer is: pretty far.

As you can see from the screenshot below, I took care of France and am advancing on the Persians, all with Archers. I'll see if I can deal with the Celts (to the North) with Archers too. My starting spot was not that great, but it's amazing what two quick Archers and a Settler bop can do for you. If I get a Great Leader to rush the FP in Chengdu, this game will be "over" long before Riders. Sigh.

Dominae
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	china.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	45353  
Old May 18, 2003, 19:04   #28
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

That's what I mean. Even with a GA and despotism, they are expensive as hell, and if I wait till Republic/Monarchy, GS lose their advantage to Pikes somewhat.

Recently I've been beelining to Monarchy, then switching and upgrading a few warriors, then bank most of the GA for a major mass upgrade of knights. (I play mostly on Emperor, btw)
Why not play the iroquois then?

Seriously, I feel that there is nothing that Iroquois cant do that the celts can do. (well, only thing being that celts dont need horse) Your strategy would work much better with iroquois and the M.Ws.. (Use MWs and upgrade them to knights)

And expansionistic is better than militaristic in the ancient age IMO.

Also, Americans are really good. I can't wait to see if conquest comes with a new civ that has ind/exp. Lets pray they get some sort of ancient/middle age UU.
Old May 18, 2003, 20:24   #29
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Quite to the contrary, I would like to see *any* civ with a modern-age UU. But I guess that wouldn't make much sense unless you were Russia, and Russia already has a UU... ah well.

Not to shoot down another Ind/Exp of course. But were there any? The Khmer perhaps? Seems more Ind/Com to me, but who knows.
Old May 18, 2003, 21:02   #30
Dominae
Emperor

The Incans could be Industrious/Expansionist.

Dominae