Old May 19, 2003, 08:35   #31
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 03:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Sorry I took so long.

Quote:
Originally posted by orange

Well...I'd like to know basic things about art and architecture...pictures of important work, styles, etc. Basically, whatever you can provide the better off I'll be.
The subject is huge. I'm sorry but the best I can do is simply give you 3 very general indices, that you'll propably already know.

There's the architectural styles of classical Greece, those have been enough documented by most countries.

The byzantine or new roman styles are a category all of their own. The most significant example of that is Agia Sophia in Constantinople.
From the Byzantine styles also come the various architectural styles of various orthodox churhes and monasteries, from Agios Oros and Meteora to the all white small chapels that can be found mostly in the Aegean Islands.

Modern architectural styles have been heavily influenced by the Neo Classical design. Such buildings can be found planted among many cities, Athens included. The parliement is an example, although not thebest, of the Neo Classical architectural style.

Greece is very varied architecturally. What you will see in Athens, you will not see it in Ipirus (NW Greece) or Thrace (NE Greece) or the islands of the Aegean.

A panspermia of architectural styles can be found on the island of the knights, Rhodes, which actually is a mini history of all major architectural styles of Europe. From ancient classical, to byzantine, to frankish, venecian etc etc.

Art in general is also divided in 3 distinctive parts. Classical, again plenty of documentation on that, Byzantine and modern. Byzantine art is minimalistic and personified after the econoclastic wars of Byzantium. The music of Byzantium was based on vocals and continues to be so in orthodox litourgies. Maybe they'll burn me at the stake for saying this, but under the theocratic governance of Byzantium art producation apart for religious works had suffocated.

Modern art is more or less the same as you can find in other countries of today. Poetry is very developed in Greece. Poets have received the Nobel price for their works (Oddysseas Elytis springs to mind) but there are also dozens of other poets, most neo romantic although such classifications are too " western" which are not known because of the language barrier. Kazantzakis, another nobel price winner, has written the last temptation of christ (which brought a lot of controversy when it was made into a movie), the life and deeds of zorba and other works such as askitika. There are other writers I like very much but they are new and I doubt you can find any works of theirs in english.
Music is very big in Greece. 80% of the music products which are bought are made in Greece. This is the highest % in the EU.
There are tones of genres that do not exist in western Europe. (I say western Europe because to my mind Greece is a sui generis country, not exactly western not exactly eastern - eastern not in regards to political orientation but to cultural foundations) .
Some musicians which are quite worth mentioning and relatively not so obscure are Hatzidakis and Theodorakis.

BTW When you come to Athens be prepared to have all its uggliness thrown at your face. It's just like that. I guarantee a cultural shock when you come. The city will look monstous to you (was designed for 500.000 people and now has over 5 million), the people too loud and the heat excruciating. Once you overcome the initial shock you'll find that the best parts of Athens are like carefully guarded secrets which you will discover in time. Athens just throws all its ugly points at first and then you can spend a lifetime discovering its beauties, which are many.

Quote:
Oh, and I'll PM you with where I'll be and stuff, so perhaps we can meet up and get some grub, or something
Cool.
Old May 19, 2003, 08:49   #32
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Also make sure that you visit (beside the obligatory Acropolis), Plaka, the old neighborhood of Athens, Athens as it used to be in the begginign of the century, it could really compete with Paris at that time, then it was destroyed by overbuilding it.

On your way to the Acropolis step ionto the church of the metamorphosis it's on your way and very very ancient. Proto christian churches are also scattered around Athens. Go to Monastiraki and just ask for the minsitry of education, besides it there's one of the oldest christian churches in the world.

And of course, make sure you use the metro at least once, since it's the most modern in Europe and quite nice looking with lots of antiquities as well as some... dubious works of modern art.

Visit also the national museum and the acropolis museum.

The folkore museum is also worth visiting if you have the time.
Old May 19, 2003, 09:01   #33
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Also, visit the Acropolis AT MORNING HOURS. Otherwise you'll suffer under the heat. Watch the steps they become extra polished by the millions of tourists that go every year and are extra extra slippery you won't believe it. The authorities replace them and then all over again but maybe now they'll have used a different material Anyway be careful and don;t buy water from Acropolis, have it bought from somewhere else, they overcharge it.

Also when going ancient sight seeing, like the ancient roman agora for example, make sure to check if there's a strike. There's nothing more infuriating that going there and have them tell you it's closed. I think Sundays the tickets are cheaper BTW.

Also make sure you visit the ancient theater just below the acropolis. if you have time, you can also catch an ancient tragedy or comedy being played there. you won't understand the language but it'll be quite an experience.

its not the best theater in greece there are others better but are far http://www.greeklandscapes.com/greec..._theaters.html

also make this amuzing test. go sit on the far behind benches of the ancient theater, then tell a friend to go to the stage and drop a sinlge coin down to the ground. You'll hear it with crystal clarity from far away where you will be. asuming there won't be hoardes of tourists going around otherwise you'll just hear crystal clear an amplified... footsteps.
Old May 19, 2003, 09:24   #34
Bereta_Eder
Settler

also at the nights where you'll have the choice of either go clubbing or relax in some garden taverna in Plaka, another option you might want to consider (IF you have money to spend) is go and see a classical orchestra or a opereta in the megaro mousikis, one of the best music "palace" in europe. but be warned that the tickets are very very expensive.
if it's late afternoon just check the ancient theaters for plays.

and if you go to a taverna be sure it has live music, the old stuff not the new garbage stuff and dont go to "tourist" garden tavernas, go to old style ones which are for the locals. the authentic ones, I might be able to be more specific later on about this.