Old May 16, 2003, 21:37   #1
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 19:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Too Many Cities???
well, boys and girls, i think i have just reached the end of civ3. upon attempting to plant a city, well, see for yourselves. as you can see from the minimap, this was a very large game...

for my questions,
anyone seen this before?
can the AI still build cities or is it just I that have built the maximum amount?

Old May 16, 2003, 21:57   #2
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Holy Cow! How many cities are there!
Old May 16, 2003, 22:05   #3
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The AI can't build anymore as well. There is a hardcoded limit to the number of cities, which is 512 IIRC.

To build new cities you have to either abandon some of yours, or to rase some of the AI's
Old May 16, 2003, 22:16   #4
bobbo008
Prince

hehe, a lot.

if you see the continent on the bottom right, thats mine (the almost solid white one). in the modern age i am still not done populating it. if you look on the very right of it on the end of the "hook" you can see how small the box is that shows where you are on it (if that makes sense)
Old May 17, 2003, 01:37   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 18:43
Scrap! I SEE the box, and it is SMALLLL!!!

If you are going to continue playing such LARGE maps, you could make Tundra (and maybe deserts) not allow cities. Do some more modding, and don't allow them in the Jungle, either.

With Tundra, you would have to disallow planting forests in Tundra, because a forest on tundra is just a forest (unless you disallowed cities in forests, too).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 17, 2003, 03:01   #6
statusperfect
King

how much gold do you lose to corruption each turn?

cheers
Old May 17, 2003, 05:17   #7
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 11:43
Thanks for posting that

And I thought I'd seen it all...I didn't know that was possible. The micromanagement must be a nightmare!
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old May 17, 2003, 05:50   #8
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Yes, the limit is at 512 cities. I'm not sure what defines the limit, but it might be related to the trade-network system.
Old May 17, 2003, 09:04   #9
Willem
Emperor

Here's a tip. Make your map size 249 (width) x 248 (hieght) with no cities allowed on Tundra or Desert. With that size the maximum number is just about right, there'll only be some fairly small areas that aren't populated.

Plus that will make each square almost exactly equivalent to 100 miles, in relation to Earth. The actual circumference is 24,900 miles around the equater, and just slightly less around the poles.
Old May 17, 2003, 09:33   #10
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

if they would allow more cities , then people would complain about a slower game and AI , ......

maybe they can put an option in to have more cities and units , etc , ..... at the cost of time while waiting for the next turn , ....

have a nice day
Old May 17, 2003, 12:23   #11
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 21:43
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
bobbo, you have crossed the line into insanity.

So, how many of the civ-wide Wonders do you have?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 17, 2003, 19:11   #12
vee4473
King

Local Time: 20:43
what victory were you going for? all the cities look white , so i assume they are yours. Conquest?

What kind of combat nightmare was that?
Old May 17, 2003, 20:24   #13
bobbo008
Prince

well, heres the basic story:

i was playing on my old computer (92 RAM i believe) and the world was big or huge and the loading was getting like 5-10 minutes between turns. so when i got my computer, i specifically got 512 RAM so i could play HUGE games. and, lol, you see what happened. the game you see there is all 24 civs, me on my own island (larger than i thought). i edited the game so workers/settlers have two movement points and roads let you move 5, for quick expansion. i also gave everyone all of the traits and started everyone out with several settlers/workers a few squares apart. the tech rate was slightler lower than the standard for a huge map as well(researching ecology in 110 A.D.). corruption was also at like 10%. basically, i wanted a game on a massive level. (well over 300x300).

for some reason, when i found everyone (in the early industrial age, no less), they were all fighting, although not really taking/destroying any cities. from what i could make out, it appeared that only the capital cities were producing settlers, hence, as you can see, they havent expanded like i had (although i didnt have to worry about a military). the AI also was only researching at 20-30%, so i was quite ahead of them. so much, in fact, i have all of the wonders to date.

if you look at the bottom of the bottom-left continent, you can see a trail which has traveled up to the left side of it where a ship has explored, and you can follow that right back to my continent, the bottom right one). i sent taht ship out, as soon as i got caravels, i am now in the modern age, so you can see how long that journey has taken and how far it has gotten.

edit: if i say "modded" i mean "edited"
Old May 17, 2003, 21:25   #14
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbo008
well, heres the basic story:

i was playing on my old computer (92 RAM i believe) and the world was big or huge and the loading was getting like 5-10 minutes between turns. so when i got my computer, i specifically got 512 RAM so i could play HUGE games. and, lol, you see what happened. the game you see there is all 24 civs, me on my own island (larger than i thought). i edited the game so workers/settlers have two movement points and roads let you move 5, for quick expansion. i also gave everyone all of the traits and started everyone out with several settlers/workers a few squares apart. the tech rate was slightler lower than the standard for a huge map as well(researching ecology in 110 A.D.). corruption was also at like 10%. basically, i wanted a game on a massive level. (well over 300x300).

for some reason, when i found everyone (in the early industrial age, no less), they were all fighting, although not really taking/destroying any cities. from what i could make out, it appeared that only the capital cities were producing settlers, hence, as you can see, they havent expanded like i had (although i didnt have to worry about a military). the AI also was only researching at 20-30%, so i was quite ahead of them. so much, in fact, i have all of the wonders to date.

if you look at the bottom of the bottom-left continent, you can see a trail which has traveled up to the left side of it where a ship has explored, and you can follow that right back to my continent, the bottom right one). i sent taht ship out, as soon as i got caravels, i am now in the modern age, so you can see how long that journey has taken and how far it has gotten.

edit: if i say "modded" i mean "edited"

hi ,

wait a minute , there is more to it then just ram , ....

large cpu , large drive , speed of drive , defrag , close all programs you dont need , etc , ....

a whole bunch of things that let the AI calculate faster , ...

have a nice day
Old May 17, 2003, 21:53   #15
vee4473
King

so, you are saying that most of your cities are your own? peacefully settled while the AI civ's fought each other and only had a couple?

It just seems amazing to have as many as you have without combat involved.

Your map looks more like a conquest end game map (or cultural).

This would be an interesting replay movie.
Old May 18, 2003, 11:18   #16
Captain Obvious
Settler

Local Time: 01:43
Just thinking......

"Now exactly HOW many games would I have to play to get the number of cities that Bobbo has in this one??"

Old May 18, 2003, 13:14   #17
bobbo008
Prince

"wait a minute , there is more to it then just ram , ....
large cpu , large drive , speed of drive , defrag , close all programs you dont need , etc , ....
a whole bunch of things that let the AI calculate faster , ..."

RAM was my biggest single issue though...

if you look at the map, there is still a lot more territory and most of the civs have at least one side of their borders where there is "free" land.

"It just seems amazing to have as many as you have without combat involved."

at the height of my "expansion" i had about 40 settlers on a given turn! just now, where you see the picture, i'm at about the last 12. and like i stated before, it appeared as if only the AI's capital cities were producing settlers...
Old May 18, 2003, 17:08   #18
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

IGNORE

Last edited by Louis XXIV; May 18, 2003 at 22:32.
Old May 18, 2003, 21:25   #19
bobbo008
Prince

...uhhh, ok?
Old May 18, 2003, 22:07   #20
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Most of these Sumerian cities don't belong to the Babylonian city-list to date. However, they are very few for a whole game of Civ, and reduncancy will be even worse than with the Germans, I fear
Old May 18, 2003, 22:29   #21
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Woops wrong thread
Old May 19, 2003, 20:56   #22
bobbo008
Prince

well that explains a lot...
Old May 20, 2003, 09:34   #23
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Obvious
Just thinking......

"Now exactly HOW many games would I have to play to get the number of cities that Bobbo has in this one??"

hi ,

any large map will do with 16 civs , .... just sit back and wait

have a nice day
Old May 20, 2003, 09:44   #24
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

any large map will do with 16 civs , .... just sit back and wait

have a nice day
I only play with 8 civs on a huge map and I always get that message. I consider it a mid game point. Basically, if there's enough room the AI will try to fill up every space. Which means that I have to try to as well, until I reach the point of no more cities allowed.
Old May 20, 2003, 10:44   #25
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

I only play with 8 civs on a huge map and I always get that message. I consider it a mid game point. Basically, if there's enough room the AI will try to fill up every space. Which means that I have to try to as well, until I reach the point of no more cities allowed.
hi ,

okay , okay , .....

but how many times do you ( as player ) get 512 cities , ....

all you need is like 20 or so , .... any more become a nightmare to control

512 / 8 or 16 or 24 is not a lot , ..... maybe we should ask for more , ......

but the more cities the slower the AI , .... the people complain about that , .....

have a nice day
Old May 20, 2003, 14:12   #26
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Crap in a basket, that's a whole lotta cities! Hope you're not aiming for a conquest victory...

Wouldn't this end up being the most tedious game ever?

I've suggested that Firaxis start limiting the number of cities a civ can build based on techs/governments.
Old May 20, 2003, 19:02   #27
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Crap in a basket, that's a whole lotta cities! Hope you're not aiming for a conquest victory...

Wouldn't this end up being the most tedious game ever?

I've suggested that Firaxis start limiting the number of cities a civ can build based on techs/governments.

hi ,

, yes and no , this could mean that several civs are out before the game kicks in seriously , ......

what to do with the zulu for example , they like to build military units and stay way behind in tech but they keep building cities , .....

have a nice day
Old May 20, 2003, 21:26   #28
bobbo008
Prince

i dont like the idea of limiting cities, just like now, i wasn't done. maybe the option to limit it, but lets not ruin it for some (like me) because of someone else's personal preference. thats the same view i have on everything, like unit and city trading.
Old May 21, 2003, 16:54   #29
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbo008
i dont like the idea of limiting cities, just like now, i wasn't done. maybe the option to limit it, but lets not ruin it for some (like me) because of someone else's personal preference. thats the same view i have on everything, like unit and city trading.
hi ,

, there is only one solution to this , an ON / OFF in the preferences , ...

this way everyone shall be pleased

have a nice day
Old May 21, 2003, 21:14   #30
bobbo008
Prince

exactly. thats why i hate when they will take options out like that, not saying they did do it for this particular game. i just hate will people want their personal preference to be the standard for everyone, once again not saying anyone here said that