Old May 20, 2003, 16:24   #61
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 21:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Since "sins" are actions against the will of the Judeo-Christianity god, whom should be rejected with the rest of neolithic supersititions, therefore there is nothing such as a sin.
neolithic??? early iron age for sure, at least get your archaelogy right.
Old May 20, 2003, 16:28   #62
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 01:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
my definition of sin:

Something that you do even though you know you shouldn'y based on any kind of belief (personal or shared) system. I.e. I say "I'm not going to eat bananas today", eating a banana on that day would then be a sin, a small one mind you, I'd probably regret that I couldn't live up to my own standards, but I wouldn't regret it that much.
Old May 20, 2003, 16:30   #63
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:45
LoM:

Quote:
Alcohol is sinful - Islam, and fundamentalist Protestantism.
Islam only. Fundamentalist Protestantism should teach that alcohol is only sinful when used to excess.

"Blessed is the man who is not condemned by what he approves."

Quote:
There are some religions where marital sex is not only not sinful, but is a good thing, even when not conceiving a child - and where use of alcohol is permitted - in moderation and with appropriate blessings very much an acceptable pleasure.
Yes. Christianity.
Old May 20, 2003, 16:37   #64
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18
LoM:

Yes. Christianity.

Ok - historically christians disapproved of doing "it" on Sunday to the point where back when people believed that a baby was born on the same day it was conceived, married couples who had a baby on Sunday were subject to punishment. Whereas among Jews a man is obliged to his wife to do "it" on friday night, assuming she wants it (and theres no time of month issue) Maybe a different view of the sabbath day, but also a different view of sex i think.

your rejection of the Augustinian view of sex may be reconcilable with the rest of fundamentalist Christianity, but its definitely a modern innovation. I might as well point out Conservative Judaism's increasing tolerance for homosexuality - probably justifiable (to some extent) in Jewish law, but misleading as charecterizing the tradition.
Old May 20, 2003, 16:39   #65
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 01:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
LOTM: Is masterbation a sin?
Old May 20, 2003, 16:41   #66
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

"
Islam only. Fundamentalist Protestantism should teach that alcohol is only sinful when used to excess."

Right, unfortunately there are some denominations such as the Baptists that view drinking as a sin and assume that all of that society will hold it up as the moral standard. A similar thing happened recently with Bennet and gambling, which he was criticize for even though his religion (Catholicism) does not hold gambling as nessecarily sinful.

Let's not let the baptists define all of society's definition of right and wrong.

"Sex is sinful - and is only permitted in marriage if youre consciously trying to conceive a child without lustful thoughts - thats St. Augustine, i beleive. "

Among Catholics in America that view is not widely held, irregardless of magisterium teaching.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old May 20, 2003, 16:45   #67
Ned
King

Local Time: 17:45
Re: The non-sinful pleasures in life...
Quote:
[SIZE=1]
Who the **** needs sin when there's pleasures like these?
Abert, You have a great future if you drop your fascism and Nazi handle. Since you like to comment on the pleasures of the decadent American, your better moniker would be Petronius, arbiter of taste and elegance at the court of Nero.

http://www.gis.net/~kcollins/petron/satyr/complete.html
Old May 20, 2003, 16:51   #68
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
LOTM: Is masterbation a sin?
I suppose just about all orthodox authorities would say so, I dont know the Conservative position off the top of my head. I would note also that the orthodox view on these matters is not unanimous - while there are many positive views in the literature, the Kitzur Shulchan Aruch, taken as authority by many ultraorthodox jews is particularly puritanical.
Old May 20, 2003, 16:55   #69
lord of the mark
Deity

im not saying that the majority of western christians, either protestant or Catholic, actively subscribe to the Augustinian view, but that its part of the background of western civilization - the notion that sex in general is sinful, and that marriage is a concession to sinful human nature, and that a positive view of sexuality is implicitly pagan or atheist seems to haunt the western imagination.
Old May 20, 2003, 17:08   #70
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Right, unfortunately there are some denominations such as the Baptists that view drinking as a sin and assume that all of that society will hold it up as the moral standard.
Chalk my views up to 'Catholic' influences.

Actually, Baptists should teach this as well, though don't be surprised if they admit they don't drink themselves.

Quote:
and that a positive view of sexuality is implicitly pagan or atheist seems to haunt the western imagination.
LotM:

I'm afraid I'm not up on my Augustine. Where is this opinion attributed to Augustine?
Old May 20, 2003, 17:21   #71
lord of the mark
Deity

i read it in a book on private life in classical and early medieval times. I believe it was the confessions that was quoted, but im not sure.
Old May 20, 2003, 18:09   #72
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

The children themselves aren't sinful, but children CAN be concieved in sin.

Example: Prositution producing a baby.
The conception itself isn't sinful, it's merely a biological process. ****ging a prostitute is.