Old May 17, 2003, 04:01   #1
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 01:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Science discussion thread
This thread is to advise our minister of Science what we think he should be researching, and WHY.

At the moment we are getting Centauri Ecology (for formers)

I reccomend that the next tech be either :

Biogenetics (for recyling tanks)

or

Information Networks (network node, leads directly to Planetary Networks - probe teams and PLANNED)

It probably won't always let us get two white techs (or any other colour) in a row though... so I would personally go for :
  • Info Networks,
  • Industrial base,
  • Planet Networks, change to PLANNED econ.
  • Industrial econ,
  • Doctrine : Mobility,
  • Industrial Automation(crawlers), change to WEALTH,
  • Doctrine : Loyalty, change to POLICE STATE.
  • And finally Biogenetics (Rec. Tanks)
In that order

This is (to me) the optimum way to get the right SE choices, crawlers, formers, the basic base facillities and we should have a lot of forests planted by then too This is my "best starting plan" with the Hive.

Minister of Science, comments? Anyone else?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 17, 2003, 04:13   #2
Haon
ACDG The Human HiveMacAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

I think we should go for Info Net to get a Network Node so we can compete in teh scientific field. I would even go so far to suggest that for a short time we use "Knowledge" as our value choice untill we are more comfortable.
Old May 17, 2003, 04:17   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Wealth helps us more - it cancels out the minus on our economy to an acceptable level so that all the bases can contribute. -1 energy per base with Knowledge, -1 energy for only the HQ base with wealth. Also Wealth gives +1 industry too, IIRC. Also to get Knowledge we have to climb up a less optimal branch of the tech tree

-Jam
Old May 17, 2003, 04:24   #4
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 15:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I suggest Info Networks. This way we can hopefully speed up our research. I think that as soon as we have the chance, we should aim for Planned.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 17, 2003, 04:27   #5
Jamski
Deity

That would be Info Networks, something else, then Planetary Networks, then Frankychan. I agree.

-Jam
Old May 17, 2003, 04:30   #6
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 15:47
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 17, 2003, 04:33   #7
Jamski
Deity

Should read post before hitting send reply....
(x2000)

-Jam
Old May 17, 2003, 04:39   #8
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 19:47
Re: Science discussion thread
Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
This thread is to advise our minister of Science what we think he should be researching, and WHY.
[real life]Comrade, you beat me to this thread by about 20 minutes. I planned to post it as soon as I got off work and my weekend officially started. (Yes, I work nights.)[/real life]

Quote:
At the moment we are getting Centauri Ecology (for formers)

I reccomend that the next tech be either :

Biogenetics (for recyling tanks)

or

Information Networks (network node, leads directly to Planetary Networks - probe teams and PLANNED)

It probably won't always let us get two white techs (or any other colour) in a row though... so I would personally go for :
  • Info Networks,
  • Industrial base,
  • Planet Networks, change to PLANNED econ.
  • Industrial econ,
  • Doctrine : Mobility,
  • Industrial Automation(crawlers), change to WEALTH,
  • Doctrine : Loyalty, change to POLICE STATE.
  • And finally Biogenetics (Rec. Tanks)
In that order

This is (to me) the optimum way to get the right SE choices, crawlers, formers, the basic base facillities and we should have a lot of forests planted by then too This is my "best starting plan" with the Hive.
I generally concur on the path, but prefer to have Rec Tanks in place before the switch to wealth, as the +1/+1/+1 is a boon to early growth and production. We may not be alone on this island.
Old May 17, 2003, 04:56   #9
Jamski
Deity

The touble is that Biogenetics is a white tech, and the game won't always allow two consecutive techs from the same colour. It could be inserted between Doctrine : Mobility and Industrial Automation perhaps? Then all bases would have to get the rec tanks built before Ind Auto brings the crawlers (because then we'll want a lot of bases building crawlers, I suppose)

-Jam
Old May 17, 2003, 05:10   #10
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
The touble is that Biogenetics is a white tech, and the game won't always allow two consecutive techs from the same colour. It could be inserted between Doctrine : Mobility and Industrial Automation perhaps? Then all bases would have to get the rec tanks built before Ind Auto brings the crawlers (because then we'll want a lot of bases building crawlers, I suppose)
This seems like a good idea to me, as the +1 mineral is beneficial when crawler production begins, as is the +1 industry from wealth.
Old May 17, 2003, 09:34   #11
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 02:47
But that should be the only concession we make before getting crawlers, right?
I want these admirable little thingies out as soon as possible!
Old May 17, 2003, 21:17   #12
Static Universe
Prince

So does anyone *NOT* think that Information Networks is a good choice for second tech?
Old May 17, 2003, 21:57   #13
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 20:47
how close are we with other factions? Depending on the answer to that and wether they may be friendly enough to trade or not. Our research path may change.
Old May 17, 2003, 22:21   #14
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
how close are we with other factions? Depending on the answer to that and wether they may be friendly enough to trade or not. Our research path may change.
At this point we can't know. We only just finished the first turn (again).
Old May 17, 2003, 23:18   #15
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:47
As a faction you are at a slight disadvantage in that I don't think any of you have been in any PBEM's or Challenges that I've CMN'd, whereas all the others have at least one or two 'vets' from my campaigns.

They'll already know this, so I'm not breaching any "fairness' rules by giving a little insight into how I set up PBEMs:

When I put you on the same landmass as another faction I'll generally separate your start positions by at least 40 tiles, so that it'll be 20 turns or so before you meet (unless the other is Sparta, with their rovers, or the Angels, with their longstriding probes)

I love continents separated by narrow channels (that can be terraformed bridged) or joined by narrow isthsmuses (that can be choke-point defended

Every human faction is as likely to meet the AI as to meet another human faction - it's my "equal opportunity" rule, giving all factions the chance to meet and conquer (or be conquered by) the AI, or to trade and pact with them (maybe with the exception in this game of the Pirates who can prolly explore and contact faster than anyone else)

As the intent of this game is the creation of 'virtual societies', where the fun is as much in the byplays, propaganda, newspapers, etc (and the turnplaying is only to more formalize the discoveries, diplomacy, etc), it would be remiss of me to set it up so that a human-played team could be destroyed within 40 or 50 turns (unless through gross negligence such as leaving bases undefended for Miriam's hordes to waltz into.)

I tweak the AI generally to follow their preferences/aversions as regards Pacting or Vendettas. To recap:

Believers - Choices: Fundy ..... Aversions: Knowledge
Angels - Choices: Democratic ... Aversions:Power

(but they have surprised me in games where they have gone counter-intuitive)

I trust that helps in the deliberations

G.
Old May 18, 2003, 01:42   #16
Static Universe
Prince

Thanks for the info, Googlie.

So I assume it's safe to say that we'll be on our own for the time being, and that the first people we meet may or may not be happy to see us, obviously.

Which makes getting a Network Node even more critical this early in the game.
Old May 18, 2003, 05:47   #17
Jamski
Deity

We pray we have the Angels on our continent, or a peaceful Human faction then

-Jam
Old May 18, 2003, 13:34   #18
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Somehow I doubt we'll get that lucky, given who we are. We have to expect the worst.
Old May 18, 2003, 18:10   #19
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski

-Jam
That's assuming, of course, that I haven't made them atrocity victims of the Hive in the settings (in which case it's Vendetta to the death)

G.
Old May 18, 2003, 20:35   #20
Jamski
Deity

You wouldn't be so evil.... would you ?

-Jam
Old May 18, 2003, 21:56   #21
Googlie
Emperor

Naw - that's be too easy (and in fairness would have to be the same for all the human controlled factions)

It'll be up to you and the choices you make as to how both Roze and Miriam interact with you. Conflicting social agendas will do it, as will squabbling over a common boundary or piece of land.

I don't think they'll be pushovers, especially in the early game (see the other threads on this, re game set-up, where I had to dumb down the AI after the first playtest 'cos they were just too darned powerful)

I think they'll knock heads at some point, particularly as they and you (the human players) expand, but that's why this is such a rich game (smac/x, I mean) as diplomacy can work wonders in putting a smile on a sour face

G.
Old May 18, 2003, 22:14   #22
Jamski
Deity

memo : change to fundy as soon as possible

-Jam
Old May 19, 2003, 00:06   #23
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 11:47
Hive Fundy:

The chairman has the mandate from heaven, he is God's representative on Chiron.
Old May 19, 2003, 07:20   #24
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 02:47
A religious authority commands a communist state???

Well, ok, stop consuming these little plants, they make you crazy...
Old May 19, 2003, 07:53   #25
Jamski
Deity

But they taste so good Mr Wardrobe-head, thats what all the small talking cockroaches are telling the cat about.

-Jam
Old June 21, 2003, 21:26   #26
Googlie
Emperor

*bumped*

(In light of discussion re Applied Physics)
Old June 23, 2003, 00:34   #27
Static Universe
Prince

Jamski will hate it, but here is an updated possible tech path for the short term. Any objections?

1) Doctrine: Loyalty, POLICE STATE
2) Centauri Ecology, Formers, WP
3) Info Networks, Network Node
4) Applied Physics, Laser (2)
5) Nonlinear Mathematics, Particle Impactor (4)
6) Planet Networks, PLANNED, Holo Theatre, Virt World, Probe
7) Industrial base, Synthmetal, Mech Exch.
8) Industrial Economics, FREE MARKET, Energy Bank
9) Industrial Automation, WEALTH, Crawlers, PTS
10) Biogenetics, Rec Tanks
11) Doctrine: Mobility, Rover
Old June 23, 2003, 00:48   #28
EZRhino
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Location: Sunset and the evening star And one clear call for me.
Dont plan too far ahead. We may have to revise our research priorities sooner than we might expect. Doctrine: Mobility before Industrial base. We need to be prepared for whats out there. Plus if we happen to run into any nearby factions we can harras them with our Impact Rovers. Also keep the option doct:flexibility open.

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!
Old June 23, 2003, 00:49   #29
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 11:47
Wouldn't the people benefit from the productive principles of Planned economy, from Planetary Networks?
Old June 23, 2003, 09:33   #30
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Is it always a good practise that the rec tanks should wait until after the crawlers? (I always get the rec tanks first)

Grapefruit Garden