Old May 17, 2003, 21:06   #1
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 19:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What new units in CIV3 Conquest?
May be too earlier for this, but I was just wondering if anyone knows what new units will be in conquest?
Old May 17, 2003, 21:16   #2
Alfonso
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 03:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
To my I would like helicopters apache to attack terrestrial units from the air.
Old May 17, 2003, 21:21   #3
Chilean President™
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Deity

Local Time: 21:50
An apache would be like the modern cavalry in the DyP mod, pretty cool
Old May 17, 2003, 23:34   #4
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:50
Yeah, decent helicopters would help.

I'd like to see Jet Bombers a la the B-52. It seems so stupid to have these accompanying your MiGs on Aircraft Carriers.
Old May 18, 2003, 01:00   #5
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 01:50
I'd like to see a terrorist unit.

These units are only buildable in times of war when AI or human players have lost a predetermined % of their power. They would be a kind of desperate last ditch defense

It's not going to happen though
Old May 18, 2003, 01:40   #6
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

well we know of the Inca Scout/Mayan Javelin/Sumerian Enkidu Warrior/ and the Trebuchet which may be a regular unit between catapults and cannons.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 18, 2003, 02:01   #7
dexters
King

I think they are talking about non-Civ specific units.
Old May 18, 2003, 02:19   #8
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

The Trebuchet would appear to be a non civ specific unit.

Some of them will probably geared for the included campaigns, but I would hope they are playable in regular games. Examples would be units specific for the colonization of the New World for example.
Old May 18, 2003, 02:28   #9
dexters
King

I wouldn't mind if they throw in special unit graphics like they did with the Japanese feudal era set in PTW, for use with scenarios, but I'll have to side with a lot of people here by saying that it is not a good idea to make UUs and Civilizations geared towards scenairo play.

All the units and Civs should work well with the regular non scenario games.
Old May 18, 2003, 02:31   #10
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

ok, new units...

there should be something to upgrade cavalry... an Armored Cav unit would be nice.

Definitely a jet bomber, maybe make Stealth the last possible tech to reseach (they should also prolong the time it takes to use Fighters, I hardly ever use them as Jet Fighters are so near...)

Attack chopper.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 18, 2003, 02:51   #11
dexters
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
ok, new units...

there should be something to upgrade cavalry... an Armored Cav unit would be nice.
The natural evolution of Cavalry were to tanks. There's really no inbetween unit for them to think of, and I would rather them not, or we'd end up having these incremental useless units.

What needs to be fixed is the late game.

I hope they add another 50 turns and throw in a few more late game units.
Old May 18, 2003, 03:09   #12
Master Zen
Deity

Medieval Infantry upgrading to Guerrillas isn't very realistic either but its there...

neither are wooden Galleons turning into motorized Transports

Old May 18, 2003, 03:53   #13
dexters
King

Quote:
Medieval Infantry upgrading to Guerrillas isn't very realistic either but its there...

neither are wooden Galleons turning into motorized Transports
If there is a unit that needs upgrading, it is the privateer.

Last edited by dexters; May 18, 2003 at 05:52.
Old May 18, 2003, 13:31   #14
PrinceBimz
Prince

I would like to see a Cruiser come before the Aegis like in CIV2. Also a Jet Bomber (like B-52 or A-10) come before the Stealth. Or maybe a Strike Fighter such as F-18 would be good. Overall just more modern era or ww1-2 era units.
Old May 18, 2003, 16:21   #15
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Local Time: 20:50
A lot of these units mentioned can be added into the game already. What can't be added is a unit like the Helicopter in Civ 2. We need an attack chopper that attacks ground units from above and losses HP's the longer it stays in the air.
Also the current Helicopter that we have should be able to carry home units which are injured abroad, more specifically the Paratrooper. Once you send out your Paratrooper there is no hope of ever seeing it again.
Old May 18, 2003, 16:53   #16
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
ok, new units...

What is an armored cavalry? A knight? Nobody uses cavalry anymore (with the possible exception of the Northern Alliance - and their not armored).

Quote:
Attack chopper.
Now here is the replacement for cavalry! (After all, the US does call its attack helicopters 'air cavalry'.) It could be essentially a land unit with a really high movement rate and really small defensive value.
Old May 18, 2003, 19:56   #17
dexters
King

Extending a horse resource unit to a flying unit is a bit illogical. It's like turning a longbowman into a sea unit. I don't think Firaxis would go that far.

Besides, I see no reason, gameplay wise, for an upgrade.

Cavalry already extends from knights, and as a unit, it's a little too unbalanced if you could make another upgrade.

There are other things that demand Firaxis' attention, like the shallowness of the late game. With total Modern Armor and Mech Inf dominance, the marines and paratroopers seem redundant. They need to throw in another dominant land unit to make things more interesting.
Old May 18, 2003, 21:38   #18
bobbo008
Prince

"What is an armored cavalry? A knight? Nobody uses cavalry anymore (with the possible exception of the Northern Alliance - and their not armored).

armored cavalry ARE tanks.

"Now here is the replacement for cavalry! (After all, the US does call its attack helicopters 'air cavalry'.) It could be essentially a land unit with a really high movement rate and really small defensive value."

my opinion is that the US calls them "air cavalry" just because, well, they think the name is cool, nothing more. although it possibly could work, i would be interested to see an excuse for the battle system when a spearman beats an apache...

yeah, the late game does suck. there needs to be another battleship. there isnt even an evolution to the battleship, just *bang* its there in the industrial age and that is it for the rest of the game. thats my main problem. and yes, the game devolves into mainly modern armor and mech infantry, with radar artillery and aircraft doing their little thing.
Old May 19, 2003, 00:55   #19
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
Extending a horse resource unit to a flying unit is a bit illogical. It's like turning a longbowman into a sea unit. I don't think Firaxis would go that far.
I was thinking a land unit (helicopters don't go that high) and am agnostic on the whole upgrade thing. I was thinking more like the role cavalry plays - fast attack from far away.
Old May 19, 2003, 00:59   #20
The Templar
Prince

[QUOTE] Originally posted by bobbo008
armored cavalry ARE tanks.
[QUOTE]

Can't be - no horses or helicopters

Quote:
yeah, the late game does suck. there needs to be another battleship. there isnt even an evolution to the battleship, just *bang* its there in the industrial age and that is it for the rest of the game. thats my main problem. and yes, the game devolves into mainly modern armor and mech infantry, with radar artillery and aircraft doing their little thing.
In my mod (link in signature) I moved Robotics to the middle of the Modern Era and beefed up the so-called Aegis Cruiser to do the job.