Old May 19, 2003, 02:11   #91
Firelad
Settler

Local Time: 03:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander

You sir don't know your cats. There is nothing many cats enjoy more than capturing a small animal and slowly tearing apart. Not to eat, just for the entertainment.
I stand corrected. Nonetheless, I stand by the rest of me post
Old May 19, 2003, 02:29   #92
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 21:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
*DanS gets out the bag of marshmallows, after finding DD's weak spot*
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old May 19, 2003, 02:37   #93
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:51
Zorba has been the only one to genuinely tick me off but your welcome to try.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old May 19, 2003, 02:48   #94
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Nah, Zorba is merely a second-rate learner. I know I can do it, and that is sufficient for me.

Besides, I stand by all of my comments in this thread. Sikander seems to have a pretty good feel for what is going on. I agree that what he did could be mean-spirited (we don't know). But that shouldn't be given much weight when the legal consequences are considered.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old May 19, 2003, 04:20   #95
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
I think we need to end the hypocrisy of "animal rights" only for fluffy, nice, domesticated animals. As people have rightly said, what's the difference between killing a cat and stamping on a wasp? Why send a boy (yes, that's right, a boy) to prison? That's just absurd.

Before we start throwing people in jail for what they do to animals, perhaps we ought to treat humans a little better.

It's still a ****ing cat.
Old May 19, 2003, 05:16   #96
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 19:51
Wow, can you say BLOWN WAY OUT OF PROPORTION!!!

every day people feed mice to snakes. And so what if he kicked the cat. If i were the cat, i'd want to be unconscious if i were about to be fed to a gator.

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old May 19, 2003, 07:15   #97
Winston
Emperor

I feel sorry for the boy's mother if he's taken away from her and sent to prison.

I heard she loved him very much and treated him as a member of the family. Really, she thought of him as her own son.

It would be terrible to destroy such an affectionate human/son relationship I think.
Old May 19, 2003, 07:50   #98
Jack the Bodiless
King

Local Time: 01:51
The cat was a valued pet (to the owner) and the kid was old enough to know that.

The killing of the animal isn't the only relevant factor, there is also the deliberate psychological assault on the cat's owner.

I'd say this kid is comparable to a juvenile rapist. "It's only an orifice, people, let's keep a sense of proportion...".
Old May 19, 2003, 08:30   #99
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Feeding gators is against the law because they will then associate people with food. It's that simple.

Just curious -- if a couple breaks up, and of them kills the other's pet -- let's say a dog, for example -- and leaves it at their door, what should the punishment be?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 19, 2003, 14:50   #100
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I'd say this kid is comparable to a juvenile rapist.
Like others have said. Get a ****ing sense of proportion!

Unless you mean he raped the cat . Cats and humans are different things, don't cha know?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; May 19, 2003 at 14:56.
Old May 19, 2003, 15:05   #101
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

...although on the other hand, I was a curious little boy, but that meant I asked for a chemistry set, not threw my cat to an alligator. It would definitely suggest something is amiss, but I would suggest psychological evaluation rather than prison, which would achieve nothing. And isn't imprisoning a minor a breach of the Geneva Convention? You Americans, you should practice what you preach

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old May 19, 2003, 15:13   #102
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Are you saying that Great Britain doesn't have juvinile detention centers? What about kids who murder?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old May 19, 2003, 15:14   #103
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
And isn't imprisoning a minor a breach of the Geneva Convention? You Americans, you should practice what you preach
Are you suggesting that we declare war on his family?
Old May 19, 2003, 15:23   #104
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Winston
I feel sorry for the boy's mother if he's taken away from her and sent to prison.

I heard she loved him very much and treated him as a member of the family. Really, she thought of him as her own son.

It would be terrible to destroy such an affectionate human/son relationship I think.
I'm sure a lot of mothers love their sons, even if they commit crimes ranging from theft to murder, BUT............That doesnt give them a "get out of jail free" card

The cat was a son to its owner. I know my cat is as much part of the family as anyone else. If anyone were to DELIBERATELY kill my cat FOR THE INTENTION OF PSYCHOLOGICALY SCARING ME....well.....
Old May 19, 2003, 15:23   #105
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Are you saying that Great Britain doesn't have juvinile detention centers? What about kids who murder?
We have juvenile detention centre. This is different to putting them into an adult prison. The treatment needs to be right for the crime, and the age...
Old May 19, 2003, 15:24   #106
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The kid is a nasty little ****er, and I think some form of punishment is in order. Not jail time, though.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 19, 2003, 15:27   #107
Blisterz
Chieftain

I am sorry but if someone did that to my dog and I knew I would not go to jail for it, I would feed the damn boy to the croc.

My family is the most important thing to me in the world, and (I know someone thinks this is "perverted") my dog is as much part of my family as my sister or Dad.

Maybe my dog is not a blood relative, but I am adopted, and I don't consider that makes my sister or dad any less of a sister or father.

What I see as sick however is that some people get so upset about a family pet, yet they don't give a rat's ass about farm or work animals.

William Seward Burroughs
February 5, 1914 - August 2, 1997 R.I.P. Uncle Bill, you are missed.
Old May 19, 2003, 15:31   #108
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

If this had been an adult, I could see harsher punisment, btw. 14 year olds can be extremely stupid, and extremely cruel. Age is a factor.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 19, 2003, 15:32   #109
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

They should feed this f*cker to the gator...
Old May 19, 2003, 15:35   #110
Japher
Emperor

Have him spend a week with a PETA representative. He'd probably feed himself to the gator...
Old May 19, 2003, 15:40   #111
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 17:51
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
If it had been any of my pets, they would have had to pry me from his corpse.
Luckily, down south there's lots of empty places where bodies wouldn't be found.

Arrian - Age, schmage. The little **** knew what he was doing. He should pay. He's just lucky it's the law he's paying.
Old May 19, 2003, 15:54   #112
Winston
Emperor

If he'd been smart he would have claimed his actions were a form of artistic expression.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	blender.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	45492  
Old May 19, 2003, 15:56   #113
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Luckily, down south there's lots of empty places where bodies wouldn't be found.

Arrian - Age, schmage. The little **** knew what he was doing. He should pay. He's just lucky it's the law he's paying.
Yet another example of the strong bond between pets and owners, looks at how MtG reacts to the possible idea of one of his pets suffering a similar fate.

Like it or not, people form very strong attachments to their pets, to do so is normal. When you kill their pet, it represents a devestating loss to the owner. The extent of the cruelty by the boy toward the pets owner is inexcusable and must be severely punished; he should go to prison.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old May 19, 2003, 16:30   #114
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:51
I can't believe southern newspapers publish people's home addresses in articles. These seems like such a liability to me; all it's going to take is for one person to get beat up or have his house torched and then the paper is going to get its pants sued off. Especially, since he allegedly feed the cat to the gator until he's found guilty by the court. Even if you admite to it until convicted it is not being guilty.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 19, 2003, 16:35   #115
Arrian
Deity

Quote:
MtG, I understand your PoV, and I agree he should "pay." I think we might differ on exactly what payment is acceptable, though.

Hey, I love aminals too. If anybody hurt my family dog (ok, ok, so it's my parents dog, but as far as I'm concerned, she's mine too, by extension), I would probably be screaming for blood.

Dan, the "attachments to animals is unhealthy" thing, even though it was a troll, is still stupid. My family's dogs have always been part of the family, and by and large treated as such. The current one clearly believes she is (she is spoiled beyond belief. My parents absolutely dote on her. And I think that's great).

-Arrian

Old May 19, 2003, 16:38   #116
Oerdin
Deity

Why is feeding a cat to a gator any worse then feeding a live chicken to a gator? I mean really both die the same way but one is cute and furry so everyone gets in an uproar.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 19, 2003, 16:40   #117
Japher
Emperor

Still, it wasn't his cat... so he should at least get theft. Yet, cats are generally free...?

I wonder what the depreciation on a cat would be?
Old May 19, 2003, 16:41   #118
Arrian
Deity

The kid was clearly getting pleasure out of torturing the cat as well, Oerdin. He beat it, and THEN fed it to the gator. Add in that the cat is someone's pet, and chickens generally arent, and it IS different.

-Arrian

Old May 19, 2003, 16:43   #119
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Oerdin has a point though, Arrian.

Substitute 'cat' for 'rooster' (they can sometimes be kept as pets), or better yet 'lizard', and you'd NEVER see this uproar. It is only for the cute animals do people go nuts over.
Old May 19, 2003, 16:45   #120
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
The kid was clearly getting pleasure out of torturing the cat as well, Oerdin. He beat it, and THEN fed it to the gator. Add in that the cat is someone's pet, and chickens generally arent, and it IS different.

-Arrian
I can give you that. He was clearly abusing the animal just for the sack of amusing himself so he should be beat up, but, legally why is it cruel to toss a cat in the pit but throwing a chicken is ok? Either both should be wrong or niether.