Old May 18, 2003, 21:24   #1
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Local Time: 01:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AI opening embassy. Sizing me up?
It may be my imagination but when an AI establishes an embassy with me they then seem very prone to attacking me. If I open the embassy it is O.K. but I have found that if it is the AI who established the embassy then I seem to regularly get attacked by them within maybe 20 turns or so.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I imagining things?
Old May 18, 2003, 23:36   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:54
It does seem to be an aggressive tactic for the AI. I haven't noticed them declaring soon after, however normally this happens to me where it is my largest rival from half a world away, where they can't do anything against me... yet.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 19, 2003, 00:06   #3
Aramis
Prince

Local Time: 19:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Haven't noticed it in my experiences. Perhaps it happened and I attributed it to other factors. Do you play at the highest levels? That might make a difference. When I play at emperor or diety I'm way too busy trying to minimize my eventual defeat that I've no time to notice things like that.
Old May 19, 2003, 05:08   #4
rush
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG The Mercenary Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:54
I don't recall this happening to me. But I really wonder, what are the factors that determine whether someone will set up an embassy with me ?

Is it my land area, relative power, culture, or simply some Civilisations are more "prone" to setting up embassy than others ?
Old May 20, 2003, 00:43   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob_S
When I play at emperor or diety I'm way too busy trying to minimize my eventual defeat that I've no time to notice things like that.
Genius!

Old October 30, 2003, 01:00   #6
binyo66
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monkey
Chieftain

I just finished Warlord Rome Standard game. I didn't open any embassy (avoiding mpp) after I destroying Egypt and Greek, and made me the only civ on a second biggest continent. Iraq, US, GR, UK and Aztec shared the largest continent.
1. After I met Aztec and bought some tech and contact, he opened embassy at my capital (don't know the reason).
2. US Opened embassy at my capital (looking for the maps, US was under attack with UK, Iraq and Aztec).
3. GR opened embassy right after he joined the war against US (and after destroying Iraq).
BTW I was the strongest, since I got no enemy and own a large continent alone.
Any clue ?

Note : I opened embassy to UK after I decided to destroy GR who was the strongest on the other continent (to do trade embargo against GR)
Old October 30, 2003, 04:01   #7
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 02:54
Rob_S

How does this 'open embassy' stuff work anyway? Are embassies one-way only or do they work both ways? I rarely see AI open embassies with me but as I open embassies with the AI quite aggresively it may indicate that they work both ways.
Old October 30, 2003, 05:56   #8
UnityScoutChopper
Warlord

Yes, they work both ways. I always consider it saved money when they open with me. :-)

Must admit I haven't noticed higher aggressiveness in civs that found embassies with me.
Old October 30, 2003, 06:04   #9
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I always assumed that the AI eventually gets round to opening an embassy when it has the spare cash to do so.
Old October 30, 2003, 22:18   #10
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV
I always assumed that the AI eventually gets round to opening an embassy when it has the spare cash to do so.
this is what i thought, but if Peters theory is true i suppose it would be so they could spy on your cities to see what units you have where.

Peter, the other explenation would be that the AI opens the embassy for other reasons, but when they do they discover how weak your military really is and then decide to declair war (i am pretty sure this has happened to me).
Old October 30, 2003, 22:23   #11
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 20:54
Yes, but it's often quite nice to know what the AI is building in his capital, especially when you are in a wonder race. I will often do this. Kind of a first investigate city... However, if you let the AI establish the embassy, you don't get that sneak peak. In SP, it's not that big, but in MP, it can be quite an advantage...

--Kon--
Old October 30, 2003, 22:54   #12
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I haven't noticed any increase in agressiveness after embassy openings, but then I usually don't pay attention to them much.
Old October 31, 2003, 03:19   #13
Flip McWho
Warlord

I haven't noticed any extra aggressiveness either. Maybe it's the level i play on (Warlord). It's probably the level i play on.

I always establish embassies first. Usually if I don't establish the embassy then it wouldn't get established in a timely manner.

I always thought that the AI establishing an embassy was a sign that they weren't going to attack me. Why spend that money on someone your gonna attack soon.
Old October 31, 2003, 03:38   #14
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

To see how well defended your capitol is, and if they are willing to part with the cash to spy on your other cities.

But it could also be likely that an AI wants to offer some treaties and needs an embassy to do this. I have seen this only twice in my single player games, where X AI opens an embassy with me and then calls me up to sign an alliance against some other AI.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 31, 2003, 03:59   #15
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Forget about the AI using an embassy to spy on your cities! It doesn't need to. One of the few cheats the AI use is that it is not bothered by fog of war so it will see where your units are no matter what.

ChrisiusMaximus , you're rigth. some treaties are only possible when you have an embassy
Old October 31, 2003, 11:30   #16
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 20:54
Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
ChrisiusMaximus , you're rigth. some treaties are only possible when you have an embassy
More precisely, all of the diplomatic agreements tab: Right of Passage, Mutual Protection Pact and alliances against other civs.
Old October 31, 2003, 12:26   #17
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 21:54
Quote:
And since the AI is often flat broke in the early game, it takes them a little while.

I typically pay to establish the embassies myself. IIRC, there is an attitude boost to having an embassy (I could be wrong on that one, though), and it lets me create alliances or RoPs if I feel the need. Plus I do get a snapshot of the AI's capitol. It's usually worth it to me.

That's playing on Monarch, standard map, 8 civs, continents (so usually 2-4 neighbors). If I was playing on Emperor on a huge map with 16 civs, it would be different. I'd probably pick a couple to establish embassies with (probably closest neighbors) and ignore the rest, because I probably couldn't afford to pay for them all.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 31, 2003, 14:54   #18
binyo66
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monkey
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Konquest02

More precisely, all of the diplomatic agreements tab: Right of Passage, Mutual Protection Pact and alliances against other civs.
I am agree. When US Opened embassy on me, she wants some helps (trading luxury or mpp), so did GR. I just doesn't know why Aztec opened embassy.

I have read someone investigating AI Attitude, how to get great leader etc, but it seems no one care about investigating embassy (and I am not good in playing civ3 and to do investigation).
Old November 1, 2003, 23:12   #19
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Forget about the AI using an embassy to spy on your cities! It doesn't need to. One of the few cheats the AI use is that it is not bothered by fog of war so it will see where your units are no matter what.
really? i think that the AI has the ability to see the entire map, but still has fog for it. I do not think they have the ability to see cities or units they would otherwise not be able to... at least, that is what the prima strategy guide says (although it IS prima, they are often wrong)
Old November 1, 2003, 23:23   #20
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Its possible that the timing of embassies is simply determined by an income to treasury ratio.
Old November 2, 2003, 06:30   #21
bongo
lifer
Emperor

zorbop , the AI don't experience fog of war and it seems it got full map knowledge for some purposes but not for all. It cannot trade with other civ until it got map coverage of the route and it will not settle unknown areas.
Old November 2, 2003, 09:28   #22
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

They do have an uncanny knack of landing on the one unsettled part of your continent when they do not even have your map though.... lucky buggers.

As far as I'm concerned, as soon as you make contact with an offshore civ they know the lie of your land and where any unsettled areas are - perhaps even before you make contact! It;s just too much coincidence the first you see of them is them landing where you don;t want them.

Old November 2, 2003, 19:23   #23
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Opening embassies gives a positive attitude shift as do the RoPs that can be signed thereafter. AI's don't open them to spy - they know where all your units are anyway.
Old November 2, 2003, 19:49   #24
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

True. But thats in the Human Player's favor not the AIs, the human feels however he feels.
Old November 3, 2003, 04:22   #25
bongo
lifer
Emperor

MrWhereItsAt , there seems to be a difference between continents and islands. From my experience, the AI will not land on islands until it get map-knowledge of it. If the continents are fully settled and you happens to discover an island, the AI will stay off it until you give them an updated map.
Old November 3, 2003, 05:21   #26
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

In the first two ages I open embassies only if I need them for an alliance, a RoP agreement or seldom to spy out the capital before I attack. That's true for all map sizes and difficulty levels. Sometimes AIs open embassies with me during this period.

Usually I open embassies with all civs in the industrial age, when I don't know what to do with all the cash anyway.
Old November 3, 2003, 21:24   #27
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I tend to let the AI pay to open them unless I need to get an idea of where their civ is located.
Old November 3, 2003, 22:31   #28
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 21:54
Quote:
Originally posted by UnityScoutChopper
Yes, they work both ways. I always consider it saved money when they open with me. :-)

Must admit I haven't noticed higher aggressiveness in civs that found embassies with me.
I've never noticed it at all, but then again I usually open up embassies first.
Old November 4, 2003, 01:14   #29
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
zorbop , the AI don't experience fog of war and it seems it got full map knowledge for some purposes but not for all. It cannot trade with other civ until it got map coverage of the route and it will not settle unknown areas.
The AI doesn't have an integrated brain like we do. Parts of the software running the game maybe omniscient but that doesn't mean the AI is omiscient. The AI consists of several modules that can be limited in what it can see.

There is certainly evidence that the AI will know where your weak border cities are, and where resources are, but there is no evidence it actively cheats.

The backend may simply have been programmed to bring up a list of perspective cities to attack and the AI merely prioritizes the targets from their relative weakness. In that case, the AI doesn't know what exactly you are doing, it just knows they can attack a certain co-ordinate because the algorithm dictating the leader strategies somehow formulated a list.

With resources, if you've watched a debug game, the AI leaders know where resources are, but city governors and workers don't see it, and thus, won't even hook a road to it. late game resources usualy go unroaded until the AI has the tech to see it. Unless of course, the resource happen to fall in a good tile that the AI would have improved anyways.
Old November 4, 2003, 04:26   #30
bongo
lifer
Emperor

dexters , part true. Some parts of the AI 'knows stuff' and others don't. But that part controlling the units never experience fog of war. I found out by accident. I was being harrased by AI inronclads and were moving transports(or galloens?) along my coast to gather an invasion force. I tried to sneak one of them past an ironclad and moved so close that it was within reach but out of view (thinking the AI wouldn't know it was there, I was wrong) The ai went straight at it. I reloaded multiple times and placed my ship in several different places. The only time the AI didn't head straight at it was when it was out of reach. I repeated this test on other occasions and it is 100% reproducable. Present the AI with an easy target that is out of view but in reach and it will head for it.