Old May 19, 2003, 07:06   #1
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 03:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Recommend me games similar to this one!!!
I found Deus Ex in the bargain bin last Friday... Wow, what a game, it completely blew me away!

The atmosphere, the storyline, and (yes, I have to admit it ) small graphical details like the dark moving skies, the moon, seeing yourself in mirrors and the polished marble floors in some buildings...

I have just started playing it and have (hopefully!) many, many hours of play before me... What other games are similar to Deus Ex? Are there any expansion packs to it?

to DrSpike and others who spoke highly of Deus Ex in another thread, which sparkled my interest in it...

Carolus
Old May 19, 2003, 11:06   #2
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 02:55
I think I said before (when I recommended Deus Ex) that you should check out System Shock 2. In fact there is a thread around now suggesting you may legally be able to get it for free.

Either way get SS2 as well.

There are not that many games in the same subgenre as these 2 games..............certainly none that I have played that come close to these 2 games.

Deus Ex 2 is on the way.
Old May 19, 2003, 12:41   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

System Shock 1 is also a very good game.
Old May 19, 2003, 13:07   #4
DrSpike
Deity

True. It's rather old now, but I remember when it was released it was (quite fairly) billed as the most innovative game of the year.
Old May 19, 2003, 13:42   #5
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 01:55
Here's that thread you were talking about:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=86391

The developer released a statement saying that no game in their library is abandoned so it looks like you'll have to buy it. I searched google but couldn't find a reliable seller. Maybe eBay?
Old May 19, 2003, 13:47   #6
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Would it be better to play system shock 1 first, or are the stories not closely related?

Do It Ourselves
Old May 19, 2003, 14:20   #7
DrSpike
Deity

There are some links, but the story in SS2 is largely independent.
Old May 19, 2003, 18:58   #8
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
SS1 and SS2 are both good games, obvously 2 is better, and deus eux is a great game...i had a chance to see it in action just the other day
Old May 19, 2003, 19:00   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:55
System Shock 2 is also definately recommended.
Similar in style to Deus Ex is Thief 1 and 2, although you won't be killing as many people in these (or any at certain levels). The atmosphere and story are second to none though.

I am looking forward to Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3 being released.
Old May 19, 2003, 20:07   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 21:55
Yes, unfortunetly there aren't many RPGs in FPS form.

Though there are plenty of FPSs with great storylines.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 20, 2003, 06:06   #11
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 03:55
I buy all my games, but where to find these two (System Shock 1 and 2)?

Thief is already on its way, ordered it a couple of days ago...

Carolus
Old May 20, 2003, 08:28   #12
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

I couldn't find anyplace to buy SS1 or 2. You could probably find a copy on ebay.
Old May 24, 2003, 15:41   #13
Jac de Molay
Prince

It's probably in the 10$ bin at software etc. or similar. I've seen SS2 at Circuit city, as well.

I never cared for it. Seemed like you needed two people to run all the keyboard action.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old May 27, 2003, 06:36   #14
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 20:55
Actually you get used to it after a while; the setup is standard for FPS-style games (tho DX is has a lot of RPG to it...humm and strategy too - come to think of it, you can't classify it very easily! ) When you get done with the normal game check out planetdeusex.com for all sorts of mods (Zodiac and Hotel Carone I've enjoyed, even if HC's dialogue needs work ) Or go back thru and try to do it with as few kills as possible on Realistic (it can be done, and I generally suck at FPS's.... )

And trust no-one...
(well 'cept your bro Paul and Alex back at HQ )
Old May 27, 2003, 07:06   #15
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Does knocking them out count?
Old May 27, 2003, 08:09   #16
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 20:55
Heh! Depends on who you ask

Me, I just RP a bit and hide the body - even if the AI ignores it. More 'realistic' that way I find I know the maps good enough that I know just where to slip through observation, mostly. Except fro the (&^(&^ 'Ton. I suppose you could gas & taser the regular troops, but the MIB's just. won't. go. to. sleep. Without a clip of tranq darts in them, that is - and I have better uses for those MIB's and Commandos get the 'treatment' (GEP or the lightsaber I mrean, nano sword ) Why? because I figure they are more 'in' to what's going on and must die Poke around in the barracks in the Paris catherdral - there's a regular soldier's diary there; they don't seem to know squat about what's -really- going on. Therefore they may live

And now that I've gone the long way around; I say no, but some people in certain forums (not 'Poly) who have too much time on their hands (IMO ) have done it without even tranquing apparently One poster said he was thinking of a walkthrough with -no- inventory...... not -my- idea of fun at least
Old May 27, 2003, 08:35   #17
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Makahlua
One poster said he was thinking of a walkthrough with -no- inventory...... not -my- idea of fun at least
There are several bits that spring to mind where I don't think this would be possible.
Old May 27, 2003, 19:21   #18
Skanky Burns

No upgrades for a start. There are also parts where you need to smash through things to get past. Once in particular with a grenade.

Some people are just crazy.