Old May 19, 2003, 07:21   #1
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

Local Time: 02:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
city production
what it is better??

four red guards or a kv1 for this summer??

in my don cities I will have two veteran aa batteries and two kv-1
I also have some different attacks tanks and a few NKVD troopers

what should we do for the winter??
go for another kv-1 or for a red guard per turn?
Old May 19, 2003, 08:17   #2
Colwyn
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 11:55
The don cities look strong
I'd probably go for a Kayusha and a few cossacks in each (ignore city walls ability) if your looking to add to those garrisons.

However if you are wanting to really hold cities west of the don, getting aa's and Kv1's would be my next choice, i'd focus on Orel as if the germans get it they can come down the river in droves to attack vorenz, I plan to reinforce it from tula but need you to provide a unit or two(kv1 and AA) as well. You have 3 AA's in vorenz already.

Do you control Stalingrad? If so can you attack the SS with red army units so we get more Partisans?
Old May 19, 2003, 10:22   #3
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

paul controls it
so are you telling me to defend Orel?
what do i do with kursk then?
Old May 19, 2003, 12:31   #4
Bossy20000
Prince

If you want to defend all the cities we have for the moment West of the Don ,i would say 4 RG's, but if your intent is only to keep the cities on the Don, I would say more KV-1 and AA batteries would be wise to consider (because ALL the attacks will then be launched against these cities)
Old May 19, 2003, 12:52   #5
yop73
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Guys, don't be too confident. The Don cities will be heavily attacked in the summer and everything but a KV-1 will be destroyed in 1 attack.
In summer 1942 I lost Rostov, which had about 30 units, including 6 fortified KV-1 and 4 AA. And the city had walls and AA battery. And the level was king level.
Old May 19, 2003, 13:15   #6
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

the problem right now is that I only have 2 aa battery and 1 kv-1 per city, we need the convoys so badly
Old May 19, 2003, 13:31   #7
yop73
Prince

I airlifted 1 into Baku this turn
Another one will come next turn
Old May 19, 2003, 13:44   #8
Bossy20000
Prince

Soon we will have the money to kick some Nazi @$$! Good job, comrade Yopov!
Old May 19, 2003, 14:02   #9
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

thanks comrade
Old May 20, 2003, 01:45   #10
Colwyn
Prince

Local Time: 11:55
You coukd hold kharkov
If you can get 2Kv1'ws amd 2 AA's in by end of april.
Old May 20, 2003, 04:34   #11
Bossy20000
Prince

Well, all depends then on the amount of money we get from the supply convoys. If we get enough we could do it, but we will have to wait a little longer. Patience, comrades! Soon we will destroy the Germans, wipe them off the face of the Earth!
Old May 21, 2003, 01:11   #12
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 20:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by yop73
Guys, don't be too confident. The Don cities will be heavily attacked in the summer and everything but a KV-1 will be destroyed in 1 attack.
In summer 1942 I lost Rostov, which had about 30 units, including 6 fortified KV-1 and 4 AA. And the city had walls and AA battery. And the level was king level.
echoing this post... I held Rostov in 1942 by having no less than a dozen KV-1s in it, plus 4-5 AA and 4-5 LA-5 fighters. And almost all the units were into the red, each turn... I was sending reinforcements (KV-1s) in as fast as I could. I lost count of how many tanks the Germans threw at the city, but it was several dozen.

Anything other than KV-1s for defence is a waste of effort, IMO. We need to rushbuy... selling off improvements in non-threatened cities if need be.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old May 21, 2003, 06:51   #13
Bossy20000
Prince

In my games, Rostov and Perekop usually have 40+ units, and they have never been taken, but sometimes it was very close How come we have so little units? Are our commanders doing useless attacks?

No, without kidding, I usually play very defensive (when I attack, it is to wipe out an enemy), and I have several hundreds of units by this time in the game. I think we play too offensive, I think we should have been more defensive in the first two years of the war. If the Germans break through somewhere, we can't stop them, because we haven't got any spare forces left; We would need to strip other fronts of their troops, leaving them more vulnerable to attacks.

This is no reproach towards the commanders nor the Marshal, it's just something I noticed being differnet from my games
Old May 21, 2003, 10:17   #14
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bossy20000

This is no reproach towards the commanders nor the Marshal, it's just something I noticed being differnet from my games
From mine as well - the Germans get hundreds of units by event, I think. We really needn't attack except where we can inflict 4:1 casualties. I was quite successful playing a defensive game up to late 1942, and was then able to retake most of western Russia in the winter of 42-43 (except for the Kursk area) after the Germans expended all their energy against Rostov.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old May 21, 2003, 13:19   #15
Bossy20000
Prince

Exactly what I did too! It's quite succesful, but is not very heroic. I think our front commanders are afraid to be sent to the Gulag if they don't perform well. Where have they gotten that idea from?
Old May 21, 2003, 13:44   #16
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 21:55
The proof will be this summer and whether the limited attacks we have been stressing recently are the way to go or the more traditional rush as many KV-1's and AA's you can and hope you hold in summer 1942.
Old May 21, 2003, 14:15   #17
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

I've never tried to hold Perekop before so I don't know about it, but holding Rostov is quite difficult, we
are going to need three or four il-2 shturmovik for Rostov and try to kill as many nazis as possible
there is the square east of Zaphorozye where the units are created via events, if we hit that spot we can kill more than a hundred units, I promise that once I killed 200
Old May 21, 2003, 14:41   #18
Bossy20000
Prince

You kill 100 units, and ten seconds later they have units there again, because other events trigger! It's almost impossible to clear the region of Germans, they keep appearing everywhere
Old May 21, 2003, 15:59   #19
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 21:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Bossy20000
You kill 100 units, and ten seconds later they have units there again, because other events trigger! It's almost impossible to clear the region of Germans, they keep appearing everywhere
Its an evil facist plot!
Old May 21, 2003, 22:14   #20
Iron Chancellor
Prince

Bah, no, it is the constant oppression of the German proletariat by the fascists and capitalists. My Brothers, let us not forget that the proletariat of the world is one! We must suffer the grinding attacks of the fascists now, so that once our industry is fully modernized we can export the Revolution!