Old May 19, 2003, 08:12   #1
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 21:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why don't pro-life groups do this?
Why don't pro-life groups pay for pre-natal care, medical expenses, and lost income for a woman who would've otherwise aborted her child and then put that baby up for adoption?

I mean if someone's too poor to have a child, such a system would take away the economic arguement of abortion... and i'm sure considering how determined some pro-life groups are, they'd be willing to put up money towards saving children.

thanks
Old May 19, 2003, 08:16   #2
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

They do. It's called Medical Assistance, or Medicaid.
Old May 19, 2003, 08:18   #3
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 18:55
i wish the nra would fight for the legilization of pot as much as they do for guns...it would be a utopia!
Old May 19, 2003, 08:21   #4
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 20:55
We do.

. The LIGHT House - Providing free pregnancy testing, loving care and housing (residential and non-residential services), free full medical care, counseling, educational assistance,..., for unwed mothers and their pre-born babies, and providing free adoption services for those young women who choose to place their baby in a loving family.

You may live at the LIGHT House, or you may stay at home; you have medical care provided; you will continue your education; you will be charged nothing, for these services.

Kansas City, MO Call: 1-816-361-2233 and ask for Hope.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. House of Hope - A ministry of Fellowship of Faith Ministry, Inc. A Christian home for runaway/throwaway teenage girls, dedicated to healing their whole person. House of Hope provides a loving home, education, and counseling,..., free for troubled girls, and counseling for their families.

Orlando, FL Call: 1-407-843-8686

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. Mercy Ministries of America - A place for troubled girls, and unwed mothers, where mercy triumphs over judgment, and unconditional love conquers all. Providing loving care and free housing, counseling, education, medical treatment,.... A place where all who enter can receive new life.

Nashville, TN Call: 1-615-831-6987
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 19, 2003, 08:23   #5
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

what if youre athiest mad monk? do they point to the door or the cross?
Old May 19, 2003, 08:25   #6
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

MRT:

of course not... what is this attitude that christian groups are hateful of everyone?
Old May 19, 2003, 08:29   #7
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

its been my experience that the fundie evangelical christians of america are out to convert or pass judgement on the way other people live. Im christian myself but i accept that we are all gods children, whether black white asian latino or middle eastern, gay straight or bi, male and female, christian muslim jewish budhist hindu athiest etc etc.

the fact is though a lot of christian organizations dont look kindly on outsiders. not all christian groups are, its mostly the ones that are overly zealous in their beliefs.
Old May 19, 2003, 08:36   #8
Demerzel
Warlord

Local Time: 01:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
that's what I was wondering, is the counseling & guidance free from all religious aspects or not?
Old May 19, 2003, 08:46   #9
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

I've seen one similar house in the UK. It's clear that if the more pro-lifers spent more time helping those who are in trouble with pregnancy than condemning them the abortion rate would be a lot lower.
Old May 19, 2003, 09:23   #10
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Well, there's the Gabriel project run by the Catholics as well. I don't know how much they do, but such groups do exist.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old May 19, 2003, 09:24   #11
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Spiritual guidance is there if you want it, but it's not forced, at least not in those homes that I know of.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 19, 2003, 10:01   #12
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144
the fact is though a lot of christian organizations dont look kindly on outsiders. not all christian groups are, its mostly the ones that are overly zealous in their beliefs.
The only christian groups I've seen like that have been characatures on TV. Most devout christians I know are like Ned Flanders, folks who would give the shirt off their back in a snow storm.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old May 19, 2003, 10:41   #13
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Gibsie
I've seen one similar house in the UK. It's clear that if the more pro-lifers spent more time helping those who are in trouble with pregnancy than condemning them the abortion rate would be a lot lower.
A sane, pragmatic approach to birth control/contraception wouldn't hurt either.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old May 19, 2003, 10:43   #14
red_jon
NationStates
King

When I was small, my mum offered to adopt the unborn child of her friend, to stop her having a termination.

Some people will go to lengths to stop what they percieve to be murder.

Despite being a raving liberal, I've always been divided over the abortion issue.
Old May 20, 2003, 01:02   #15
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

My parish is involved in the Gabriel Project. Catholics are generally a lot less asinine than you seem to think MRT. A lot of the work is aiding non-Catholics, such as Mother Theresa's work in Calcutta.
Old May 20, 2003, 06:00   #16
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

There are a lot of things pro-life groups could do to help decrease the number of abortions and increasing the quality of life for the millions of children that wallow in adoption and foster care. Unfortunately, there are few groups that really care about people. Don't get me wrong, there are very good pro-life groups out there. In my experience, it seems like more are concerned with preaching morality rather than helping people. Ironically, pro-life and pro-choice people have some of the same goals... less abortions. I've beaten this dead horse too much though. Some think the best way to get rid of abortions is to criminalize it... others know that education, contraception, support are better ways.
Old May 20, 2003, 06:17   #17
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Felch
My parish is involved in the Gabriel Project. Catholics are generally a lot less asinine than you seem to think MRT. A lot of the work is aiding non-Catholics, such as Mother Theresa's work in Calcutta.
youre right, catholic charities are good, but then again they are asinine when it comes to birth control, women in the church, etc etc.
Old May 20, 2003, 06:39   #18
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

The Orthodox church is just as stubborn with the women issue. Even though I tend to dislike Protestant Chrisitianity more than Catholicism and Orthodoxy, I have to hand it to some of them. There are many denominations that have women pastors/preachers/etc.
Old May 20, 2003, 08:18   #19
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
The Orthodox church is just as stubborn with the women issue. Even though I tend to dislike Protestant Chrisitianity more than Catholicism and Orthodoxy, I have to hand it to some of them. There are many denominations that have women pastors/preachers/etc.
Thanks for the generalization Sava. You do realise that while the words "Catholic" and "Orthodox" refer to specific denominations, the term "Protestant" refers to a general category consisting of hundreds of unique denominations, each with its own unique doctrine? You might as well have said "Even though I dislike Other Christians more than Catholicism and Orthodoxy...."
Old May 20, 2003, 08:37   #20
Lincoln
King

There are many pro-life organizations throughout the nation that constantly give practical help to mothers and their children. The adoption mess is largely the fault of the system which prevents worthy familys from adopting until they jump through endless hoops. That is one reason why there are an increasing number of foreign adoptions. There is certainly no shortage of caring people who wish to adopt and care for unwanted children and their mothers.
Old May 20, 2003, 09:41   #21
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Thanks for the generalization Sava.
No problemo

Quote:
You do realise that while the words "Catholic" and "Orthodox" refer to specific denominations, the term "Protestant" refers to a general category consisting of hundreds of unique denominations, each with its own unique doctrine? You might as well have said "Even though I dislike Other Christians more than Catholicism and Orthodoxy...."
Yes... your point? I specified that there are many denominations of protestantism... BTW protestantism = anything not Catholicism/Orthodoxy... or at least that's what I've been taught...

nice post tho Doc... you're catching up to me in terms of irrelevance
Old May 20, 2003, 09:56   #22
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DetroitDave A sane, pragmatic approach to birth control/contraception wouldn't hurt either.
Contraception goes directly against the Catholic Church, whilst "loving thy neighbour" is not, so we should at least be realistic in our expectations of Christians.
Old May 20, 2003, 10:01   #23
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 02:55
But you aren't allowed to covet his ox so bestiality is out.

We've got both kinds
Old May 20, 2003, 11:06   #24
gunkulator
Prince

... also can't covet your neighbor's ass - so none of THAT either.
Old May 20, 2003, 11:31   #25
Japher
Emperor

Does the Pope condone the use of birth control?

Anywho, after looking at Italy, and the fact that they are mostly Catholic (as far as I know) faith is not the problem; Its poor life style choices.

to Alber Speer for addressing a solution and not the problem. I hate it when people just whine about the problem instead of hyping the solution. IMO people focus more on the problem, thus that someone with the problem is not aware of the solution... Make sense?

Quote:
also can't covet your neighbor's ass - so none of THAT either.
I have a better ass than my neighbors
Old May 20, 2003, 17:20   #26
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

"I have a better ass than my neighbors"

better watch out or your neighbors will covet yours.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old May 20, 2003, 18:02   #27
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
I mean if someone's too poor to have a child, such a system would take away the economic arguement of abortion... and i'm sure considering how determined some pro-life groups are, they'd be willing to put up money towards saving children.
Albert:

It's been well-documented in the thread, prolifers response to mothers with financial problems.

However, you are unduly worried about this economic argument. The argument is that we should kill people because they are too expensive. Just bring up the elderly, they are expensive to care for, should we kill them?

That's all you need to remember next time someone argues that we need abortion for mothers who can't afford children.
Old May 20, 2003, 18:10   #28
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Obiwan:

Poll show though that the majority of americans are in favour of gov't funding for abortion clinics... ironically, the vast majority of americans are against abortion on demand. It seems that upwards of 60% of Americans are willing to allow poor people to get abortions (and have the gov't pay for it) but are against rich people getting them.

so the economic arguement is the only one that stands in the eyes of the American people... surprisingly, abortion on demand exists though the majority are against it.
Old May 20, 2003, 18:21   #29
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

"Does the Pope condone the use of birth control?

Anywho, after looking at Italy, and the fact that they are mostly Catholic (as far as I know) faith is not the problem; Its poor life style choices."

No, the pope repeatedly condemned birth control and has repeatdly declared it a sin. The catehcism declares it intrinsically evil, and it seems many on the Catholic Right view it as a grave sin.

The reason you don't see every catholic family with huge families of 7-10 kids and the like is most Catholics disagree with their Church's teaching on birth control. In some areas with less educated populaces, however, such as rural Latin America, the Church's stand on birth control has meant disaster.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old May 20, 2003, 18:48   #30
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 03:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
No problemo

Yes... your point? I specified that there are many denominations of protestantism... BTW protestantism = anything not Catholicism/Orthodoxy... or at least that's what I've been taught...
At least here in Germany the Term "Protestant" or "Evangelisch" refers to one of the three large Religions in the country aside from Catholics and Muslims.
It is the Religion which was created after Martin Luther rebelled against the catholic church and the christian religion as a result split in two parts (Catholics and Protestants).
(It´s the same two religions which were involved in the 30 years war).
The Church we know as Protestants has much less rules than the Catholizism, has no Head, like the pope, and does allow women to be clerics, and it has almost the same number of members here in Germany as the Catholizism.

Other christian communities such as Jehovas witnesses and those small communities you have in the USA are commonly referred to as either Sects or Free Christian Churches (or Communities).

So it seems, the meaning of the Word "Protestant" differ between Europe and America (as in other european countries I know of "Protestants" is used in the same manner as in Germany)

Last edited by Proteus_MST; May 20, 2003 at 18:59.