Old May 19, 2003, 21:05   #1
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 19:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Super Units (Idea for future game)
hi, ok, this is either a really good idea, or just something dumb that only I am interested in.

I want units that are hugely expensive, and possibly customizable. for example, the trebuchet, unlike how it portrayed in many games (i.e. AOE 2) was a huge and very costly war machine I believe the Turks/Ottomans had a cannon over 100 ft. long).. I want something like that, that was basically garaunteed to take something out every shot, but is almost amazingly expensive.

and as for customized units...

a lot of units, most noticeably sea units, are in classes. basically, some are bigger than others. I don't want to pay 200 or whatever it is for a battleship and have all battleships be the same. i wanna build a big one (bismarck, anyone?). Let's say the more I put into it, shield-wise, the higher it's stats are, although there could be a practical limit based on whatever and what time period.

thank you
Old May 19, 2003, 22:34   #2
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 01:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Or maybe have a Neo unit that can bend the system rules, jump out of the screen and kill you.
Old May 20, 2003, 01:30   #3
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

You can have hugely expensive super units courtesy of the editor. Unfortunately this seems to really stuff up the AI countries.

I hate the very thought of having to design units. (Tried that in MOO2 and then just left it to the computer)
Old May 20, 2003, 05:04   #4
Deathwalker
Prince

If you really want that, use the editor but please god not in the XP
Old May 20, 2003, 17:56   #5
HazieDaVampire
King

i dunno about certain, i beleave it could maby have a massive strength, and some big weakness too.

That 100ft cannon i bet could take out almost anything it was told to, but send some infantry at it and it will fall easily.
So you'll have to protect it from its weakness
Old May 20, 2003, 21:28   #6
bobbo008
Prince

thats part of it. it needs protection. but in this game, lets say you have a massive army of 100 tanks. they never fight at once, just one at a time. it really takes the excitement out of building a grand army.

i dont think people are getting at least part of what im' trying to say. i think that if i pay 400 on a battleship, that it should have somewhat increased attack/defense, not just have a fleet of identical battleships.
Old May 20, 2003, 21:36   #7
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:56
Well, armies are somehow what you are looking for. They are hugely expansive until the very end of the game, and their strength evolves with time and with the units you fill in. If used properly, armies are nearly invincible.

OTOH, nukes are what you are looking for. They are hugely expansive, and take out one city for sure
Old May 20, 2003, 22:15   #8
bobbo008
Prince

if youre going to say armies, editing the number of "hits" a unit gets is right in the editor...
Old May 21, 2003, 03:28   #9
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 20:56
Maybe a superunit could be like a unit wonder - only one and a fair advantage to the building civ. (Kind of like the ship the Eradicators got in the post-apocalypse scenario in the Civ2 expansion).

We could have a super artillery piece, a super battleship like the Bismarck, the Enola Gay (free w/ the purchase of one Manhattan project - a weak one shot nuke that looks like a bomber), a Templar Knight, Red October, the Kurgan, you name it. Might be fun and have that holy terror effect usually wroght by the appearance of the Draginol in GalCiv.