Old May 20, 2003, 03:18   #1
atomant
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 11:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Mythology and History of the Apolyton Imperium
Seeing as I am not actively involved in this game, I thought I could do the history. Here are some opening ideas, if people like them, i will keep writing.

Mythology tells us that melinina ago we descended from a mother civilisation that attempted to broach the bridge between the stars. Some great calamity befell us; we incurred the wrath of the gods. In their wisdom the Gods took everything from us.

Our legends say we once flew amongst the birds and swam with fish in great devices made of substances of unknown creation and driven with a life of their own. We ruled our world, and then we made a fatal mistake. We wanted to rule another.

The old ones tell us that the great device, which we used to journey between the stars, was plucked like ripe fruit and thrown here by the gods. We are all that remain true to the vision of the originals. The only things that we remember about our laws of old are that we must choose and that our ancestors were called Aployton. We are the Apolytons, the Chosen Ones.

Rumours abound that there are others in the world that do not share this vision, they are infidels and must be made to see the light. The truth of our united vision must be what drives us forward. All of humanity must be united to see the truth.

We must atone, we must tame this wild world, and we will bring humanity under one ruler to ensure the mistakes of the ancients are not repeated. The Aployton Imperium will reunite humanity and the Chosen One will forever steer and guide us to ensure we will not repeat the errors of the past.
Old May 20, 2003, 08:42   #2
atomant
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

god damn tripple posts.... can someone who is a mighty adminstrator delete the two superflous history threads ...
Old May 20, 2003, 09:47   #3
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 20:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This is an excellent start IMHO, atomant. Good background, just needs to be tied to the actual activities of our game.

I say, keep going!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old May 20, 2003, 11:38   #4
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 21:57
Excellent work. I was just thinking that we need a history log, if you need some of the presidential posts for research i have them copied to a word doc. (not online at home right now so that was a way to review the game without getting cought at work )
Old May 20, 2003, 15:01   #5
teic
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:57
So we're staying on earth this game
Old May 20, 2003, 18:24   #6
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Yes. This one is military conquest, no built Wonders (we can capture them, though), no Caravans, no ICS. All land map.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old May 20, 2003, 21:37   #7
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:57
capturing wonders....hm..... that will make it easy...lets find the crown jewels
Old May 20, 2003, 22:10   #8
cavebear
Emperor

I kind of lkike the idea of capturing Wonders. we will have to find whwere they are (not really hard), but it will thrown a dynamic into the regular city-conquest plans. Anything that increases complexity is fine with me.
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old May 20, 2003, 22:14   #9
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

well i tend to agree...... but capturing say, mics makes the happiness probs go away...

IMO a better rule would be capturing all the cities but ones with wonders, THEN you can take wonder cities, this would make the game more difficult for longer b/c we would not have the effects of wonders while the ai would for a longer period of time
Old May 20, 2003, 23:03   #10
cavebear
Emperor

I agree in concept, but the idea of deliberately not capturing cities *only* because they have a Wonder seems contrary to military strategy. I prefer (for this game) taking cities for their strategic and military purposes and if there happens to be a Wonder in it, fine.
Old May 21, 2003, 05:48   #11
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
I agree in concept, but the idea of deliberately not capturing cities *only* because they have a Wonder seems contrary to military strategy. I prefer (for this game) taking cities for their strategic and military purposes and if there happens to be a Wonder in it, fine.
why would it be contrary to military strategy? having a particular wonder gives it great strategic importance - worth bypassing other cities to get to it and mop up the other cities later.

Granted, since the AI fails to take advantage of most wonders, they will be of greater value for us to have than it will be to take from the AI (unlike another player in MP), but it does affect the AI as well to lose them
Old May 21, 2003, 06:07   #12
atomant
Prince

Zedd

Please forward me the posts to as332@excite.com
Old May 21, 2003, 08:41   #13
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 03:57
*atawa resigns as historian and gives his office to atomant.

Why dont you run for historian next term?
Old May 21, 2003, 08:56   #14
atomant
Prince

is there a need to run.... ? :-)

unless you want the job of course?
Old May 21, 2003, 09:54   #15
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 21:57
Quote:
Originally posted by atomant
Zedd

Please forward me the posts to as332@excite.com
It's on the way, hope it helps.
Old May 21, 2003, 14:19   #16
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SCG

why would it be contrary to military strategy? having a particular wonder gives it great strategic importance - worth bypassing other cities to get to it and mop up the other cities later.

Granted, since the AI fails to take advantage of most wonders, they will be of greater value for us to have than it will be to take from the AI (unlike another player in MP), but it does affect the AI as well to lose them
Maybe I phrased that poorly...

I meant that while we agreed not to build Wonders ourselves, we decided that it was OK to capture cities where the AI has built one. If we had forbidden ourselves to *own* any Wonders it would have meant we could not capture certain cities. *That* would have been contrary to our military strategy.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old May 21, 2003, 16:23   #17
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Wow, this is a weird crosspost
Old May 21, 2003, 20:06   #18
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:57
Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear

Maybe I phrased that poorly...

I meant that while we agreed not to build Wonders ourselves, we decided that it was OK to capture cities where the AI has built one. If we had forbidden ourselves to *own* any Wonders it would have meant we could not capture certain cities. *That* would have been contrary to our military strategy.

Sorry for the confusion.
From memory there wasn't any discussion about whether or not we coulod capture Wonders, only a decision we couldn't BUILD them.

But, since there was no objection to capturing Wonders....

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 21, 2003, 23:44   #19
cavebear
Emperor

I recall some brief discussion, but it was quickly obvious that we had to be able to *capture* cities with Wonders or we could not wipe out an opponent Civ...
Old May 22, 2003, 00:01   #20
War4ever
Emperor

i just thought we could take ai cities with wonders last, thought it would leave more civs around later and make the game a smidge harder...

but i can see the rules clearly state that is wasn't the case, so lets progress forward
Old May 28, 2003, 03:19   #21
atomant
Prince

The Birth of the Imperium
The Reign of Pharaoh Whereitsat

Around the fire, the great tribe of the Apolyton Imperium selected the Chosen One and his core advisors. Votes were cast and the die rolled. Eventually a mysterious figure rose from the smoke of the great indaba (Great Discussion usually held around camp fire). This figure, known only as Whereitsat, rumoured to be descended from the great Apolytons, lead us across the Great Plains.

The Great Wandering Years

Years passed. We now call this period the Great Wandering Years. During these centuries we battled barbarians, saw strange sites and discovered our world was random and chaotic. However, during this time we discovered that fate sometimes plays a cruel game. We learnt that to unite humanity under the leadership of the Imperium, to sow the seeds of our civilisation, we needed a base. To this end three bastions were founded. Called Dominion, Majestica and, our capital, Imperialis these cities served as the seed from which our civilisation would grow.

The Tentacles Spread

From these three cities, explorers went out. Other, smaller, civilisations were discovered, sometimes they proved to be abandoned, others, impressed with our vision of the future, lent us support. In some instances they choose to support the vision that is the Apolyton Imperium in a physical way, by giving us their armies or joining our Civilisation. This rapid show of support led to numerous issues. Financially, our fledgling Imperium was stressed. We had neither the gold, nor the population to manage such a ground swell of support. Some of our mighty army was disbanded to cater for the good of the whole.

The Barbarian Horde

During the course of our explorations some of the villages viewed submission to the Imperium as a form of assimilation. Such is the fear associated with the enlightenment we wished to grant. Instead of embracing us, they chose to attack us. These barbarian hordes, unprovoked, engaged us brutally and wantonly. In all instances the hordes were crushed on contact. Many chose to flee rather than face imminent defeat and slaughter.

The Shining Beacon?

In many ways, the stability of the Imperium shown as a beacon to those in our environs. To assist the Imperium in its quest, many of these lost outposts of humanity gifted knowledge to us. To this end we learned the value of script, called Alphabet, Code of Laws, Sea Faring, Map Making, Warrior Code and Bronze Working

The Decadence of WIA and the Tentative Journey of 123John321 the Timid…

Towards the end of the third millennia, Despot WIA became enamoured with a fantasy known as RL. Evidently drug induced, for so strong was its lure, that the citizens riled at the lack of progress. ‘We must rule’ they muttered amongst themselves. In the end WIA, in a moment of fantasy free clarity, did a noble and self-sacrificing thing, he abdicated and for a few short decades, the Imperium was governed by 123John321, hereafter known as John the Timid.

From a much maligned past John the Timid, guide us through a critical phase, steering the ship of the Imperium until again the Chosen One could rise through the ranks and lead us to certain victory. New technologies were founded, including a strange spinning disc like device that our wise men called the Wholly Holistic Extreme Environmental Transport system, shortened to the WHEEL. In praise of John the Timid’s guidance, the N’Yanga’s of the Imperium discerned that we should worship the Chosen One and set about defining rites and observances, this will be called Ceremonial Burial. During this time our noble Imperium was further expanded with the city of Enron, however, extra resources were required to tame its wild and hedonistic population.

In a show of dyslexic wisdom, and with the guidance of the Dogs (small pun), John the Timid called the people together and with the conjunction of the stars, the new Chosen One arose. As a sign of respect from the people, thus removing the previous stigma of history from the line 123John321, the title of Lord Protector and Keeper of the Sacred Chamber Pot was bestowed upon him and all his heirs.

At the end of the reigns of Despot WIA and John the Timid in BC 1750 (Before Cohesiveness), the state of the Imperium stood thus according to 123John321 State of the Onion address* which shall close each successive reign of Chosen Ones:

Cities: Pax Apolytonia, Enron, Dominion, Majestica and, our capital, Imperialis
Technologies: Alphabet, Code of Laws, Sea Faring, Map Making, Warrior Code, the Wheel and Bronze Working.

The Rise and Rise of the Imperium

In a moment that would set the tone for our future civilisation, after the State of the Onion Address, the vote was called and only a few members of the Imperium had the courage to steer the Apolytonians towards glory. To this end in, by our reckoning, BC 1750, Cavebear was elected as the Chosen One.

Wisely may he govern? The infidels will tremble.

*State of the Onion, according to our recorded history, refers to an element of our civilisation whereby our historic leaders from the stars only made decisions after drinking Onion Soup and commenting on its texture. Hence, the State of the Onion.
Old May 28, 2003, 03:25   #22
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:57
This kicks ass, atomant.

State of the Onion.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 28, 2003, 08:22   #23
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 19:57
John the Timid!
Old May 28, 2003, 12:30   #24
atawa
King

I nominate atomant to be the historian for the remainder of the game

Old May 28, 2003, 19:10   #25
Bob_Smurf42
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
Warlord

'Wholly Holistic Extreme Environmental Transport'
Old May 29, 2003, 00:12   #26
War4ever
Emperor

bravo well phrased !!!!
Old May 29, 2003, 05:54   #27
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

I like it

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old May 29, 2003, 07:31   #28
cavebear
Emperor

That was great!
Old May 29, 2003, 12:58   #29
teic
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:57
Let us all say how much we like it
Old May 29, 2003, 18:07   #30
Bob_Smurf42
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
Warlord