Old May 20, 2003, 15:23   #31
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 21:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wow, a rare triple post. The server is wacky today.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 20, 2003, 15:23   #32
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:58
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
The US is now putting off Iraqi self-rule "indefinately."
My BS meter is going wild right now Che. Can you give me a reputable souce (that means not one of the usual anti-American sources).
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 21, 2003, 17:12   #33
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

My BS meter is going wild right now Che. Can you give me a reputable souce (that means not one of the usual anti-American sources).
Is The Boston Globe good enough for you?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old May 21, 2003, 17:18   #34
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Hmmm... My Ctrl-F doesn't yield the word "indefinitely."
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old May 21, 2003, 17:20   #35
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:58
Quote:
Do you have a TV? This has been reported by every news source I've seen... even Fox.
Old May 21, 2003, 17:22   #36
lord of the mark
Deity

update:
1. Iraqi self-rule (ie interim administration) is now planned for July.

2. Thom Friedman of the NYT says that only 30% of shiites want a Khomeini-like govt. Thats out of the 60% of Iraqis who are Shiites. So altogether only 18% of Iraqi want Iraq to be like Iran.

3. France, Russia and Germany announced today they will support the revised version of the US-UK-Spain resolution lifting sanctions on Iraq, and established the relationship of the UN to the occupying Authority. This should open the way to participation by various nations in peacekeeping and policing, and should aid in reconstruction.
Old May 21, 2003, 21:34   #37
Oerdin
Deity

Last I heard the interim government takes over in July. That would be one month + not indefinitely.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 21, 2003, 23:46   #38
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 09:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
Well, OK. You are confusing the prudential and legal cases for the war. The prudential case for war certainly included the prospect of being better situated to bring pressure on Saudi Arabia. need I remind you that 3000 of my fellow citizens were murdered on 9/11 by a terrorist group that received financial (and probably other) assistance from within the Saudi kingdom, and that the Saudi kingdom is the center for radical wahabi incitement?
So the right thing to do was to invade Saudi, then. Were the US forces using outdated maps again?

Quote:
WMD where the casus belli - and let us recall, UNSC 1441 required Saddam to prove that he DID not have WMD - there is no evidence he was not in violation of that - if he had really destroyed all WMD prior to 2002 (which i do not believe) why didnt he encourage his scientists to cooperate?
As I recall, UNSCR 1441 did not authorise the use of force in any eventuality at all. Also, it seemed to me that the weapons inspectors were making progress, and much of the US "intelligence" was found to be bunk.

Quote:
Was it to keep the IMPRESSION he had WMD, which would give him the same regional leverage but at less expense? If so then we were certainly right to go after him, even if no WMD are found.
Was Saddam Hussein implying he had NBC weapons? If not, what's your point?
Old May 22, 2003, 01:39   #39
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 17:58
Re: Baghdad civilian casualties, DU, etc.
Quote:
In the meantime, the Pentagon indirectly admits that DU is dangerous by ordering soldiers to stay away from areas contaminated with DU.
Duhhhhhhhhhhhh! Why dance around "indirect" when the Department of the Army (and the other services have their versions) have long-published, publicly available policies and procedures for handling DU ordnance and for decontamination?

The "issue" is HOW ****ING DANGEROUS. Nobody from the Pentagon ever said the stuff was chocolate-****ing-chip cookie dough. It's just not the make-you-glow-in-the-dark-while-your-schlong-drops-off neurosis that the constant DU whiners make it out to be.
Old May 22, 2003, 01:49   #40
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Che, please post the article -- it's registered only.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 22, 2003, 01:51   #41
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:

Is The Boston Globe good enough for you?
Isn't that where Jayson Blair worked before moving up to the New York times?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 22, 2003, 03:36   #42
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
Let's not forget that most of us who opposed the war opposed it because of what would happen afterwards. That still has to play out.
And it will continue to play out for eternity.
Old May 22, 2003, 04:03   #43
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Che, the word 'indefinately' dosen't even show up in that article; further, it's clear from that article that nobody, with the possible exception of the INC, is ready to move forward yet -- everybody's still talking with everybody.
Old May 22, 2003, 05:21   #44
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 02:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

I know you are che... but I don't get that feeling that some of the other anti war people are.
Anyone who'd rather see people die than be wrong about something is a pretty disgusting individual.

We've got both kinds
Old May 22, 2003, 05:27   #45
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 02:58
Re: Re: Baghdad civilian casualties, DU, etc.
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Duhhhhhhhhhhhh! Why dance around "indirect" when the Department of the Army (and the other services have their versions) have long-published, publicly available policies and procedures for handling DU ordnance and for decontamination?

The "issue" is HOW ****ING DANGEROUS. Nobody from the Pentagon ever said the stuff was chocolate-****ing-chip cookie dough. It's just not the make-you-glow-in-the-dark-while-your-schlong-drops-off neurosis that the constant DU whiners make it out to be.
You mean, I should drop depleted uranium from my diet?
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old May 22, 2003, 06:31   #46
dannubis
King

Local Time: 03:58
Re: Re: Baghdad civilian casualties, DU, etc.
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Wait until this stuff is fired at your back yard... I think you wouldn't be so causiously forgiving then.

Uranium is in finely dispersed condition very toxic as it is easily inhaled. And if you fire a uranium hall at several times the speed of sound at a hard object you get a finely dispersed uranium dust.
Old May 22, 2003, 10:57   #47
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

So the right thing to do was to invade Saudi, then. Were the US forces using outdated maps again?

As I recall, UNSCR 1441 did not authorise the use of force in any eventuality at all. Also, it seemed to me that the weapons inspectors were making progress, and much of the US "intelligence" was found to be bunk.

Was Saddam Hussein implying he had NBC weapons? If not, what's your point?
1. saudi - not prudential to go after saudi first, with saddam still in power.

2. UNSC 1441 promised serious consequences. That meant war. War was not mentioned explicitly for reasons that have already been discussed here.

3. Weapons inspectors progress - the progress they made was to demonstrate that Saddam was not cooperating - he didnt account for his allegedly destroyed weapons, and he didnt cooperate with interviews of scientists. Ergo he was in violation of 1441 - no further inspection was required to confirm that.
Old May 22, 2003, 11:00   #48
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 04:58
Quote:
Old May 22, 2003, 11:24   #49
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: Baghdad civilian casualties, DU, etc.
Quote:
Originally posted by dannubis
Wait until this stuff is fired at your back yard... I think you wouldn't be so causiously forgiving then.

Uranium is in finely dispersed condition very toxic as it is easily inhaled. And if you fire a uranium hall at several times the speed of sound at a hard object you get a finely dispersed uranium dust.
Been there, handled that. The dust inhalation problem has been studied extensively. The zone of significant risk from a 120mm M829A1 APFSDS round (largest DU round in US use, with a 40mm x ~ 890mm DU penetrator) impact on MBT armor (hitting a lighter vehicle causes less vaporization and shear-fragmentation, resulting in less dust) is approximately 50 meters from the impact site for a period of 5-10 minutes. DU once it hits the ground is the densest stuff down there, so initially, it's the last to get kicked up by wind and the first to settle out. In the long term, it sinks progressively into the soil where likelihood of human ingestion is minimal, and the contact toxicity is similar to lead.

There are established procedures for decontamination, and DU is far from the only chemical hazard on a battlefield - do you think breathing air containing burned fuels, synthetic rubber and hydraulic fluid is good for you?
Old May 22, 2003, 11:29   #50
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
LotM, a spread of those deseases can be prevented by sanitation.

"Don't drink from the toilet, kids.".

I realize that utilities are in the crapper, but from some people here, you get the feeling that people are supposed to drop like flies in Iraq.
If you have a functioning water supply, with source water given at least primary biological treatment (typically, a chlorine or alternative {Potassium permanganate, etc.} drip system is attached to water production wells, to continuosly inject the proper ratio of treatment agent), then you have your sanitation issue solved.

If you have to crap in a bucket, and take another bucket down to the river and get water that way, then you've got problems.
Old May 22, 2003, 11:31   #51
Az
Emperor

Well, don't **** in the river, then.
Old May 22, 2003, 11:47   #52
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Trouble is Basra is downstream - so even if people upstream don't **** in the river (but where do you think Baghdad, etc., sewage discharges to?), then about 50 billion goats on farms all up the valleys are shitting in the river (well, it washes down) as are all sorts of swamp critters in the wetlands areas.

On the lower Tigris and Euphrates rivers, I wouldn't consider walking on water to be miraculous.
Old May 22, 2003, 11:52   #53
Az
Emperor

Well, clear water is a known *****.

And yes, Chlorination is rather swell at cleaning the water.