Old June 2, 2003, 02:55   #31
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 21:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Turn message - 2108
Well, the Schooner up north explored the pod at (51,61) and hauled in another 75 Pieces of Eight; she then went back east to pop the other pod, at (55,59), next turn. Rather than pop the pod with the last mp, she sailed north a bit to (54,58) and revealed strangely warm and bubbling seas to the further north and east. Our University slaveadvisor said it was 'geothermal activity', whatever the H@$# that means, and that the seas there would generally yield up more energy to our terraformers, whatever the H@$# they are. Anyway, we will pop that pod next turn, and if we don't get a free facility out of it, we will then switch the production of 'Rita to a Land Former (or possibly a Sea Colony Pod, presumably to go up there into the warm bubbling seas - whose temperature, by the way, seems just right for the fermenting stage of the Cuspidore's 'Black Ale' recipe).

The Unity Gunship in the south cruised around the pod at (50,78), the Cuspidore once again positioning to pop the pod on the 1st move of the next year. The exploration revealed more land further south and some disappointing news about LandBase site #2 (40,75), namely that it is infested with that red fungus - OTOH, yet another nutrient special came into view, at (50,74), suggesting that mayhaps we might want to consider a Sea Base at (48,74) or (49,73) instead, as they would have 2 energy and 2 nutrient specials within their base areas, as good as we expected with the original land base site (which now would have 3 nut specials if we choose to defungus it in order to be able to build a base on it). In anticapation of consensus, BB altered the main charts to show a proposed new SeaBase at (48,74) instead of the LandBase at (49,75)

The Transport facillitated the return home of the Tripoli scout and then sailed off for Liar's Lair, where it will enable that scout to investigate the pod at (46,64).

With the arrival of Centauri Ecology expected next turn, the Cuspidore is considering setting the temporary builds (i.e. the ones that he hopes will be completed by the magic action of popping pods) at SeaFormers in Liar's Lair and 'Rita (they are also rather expensive, so it would be a comparable boon) although leaving the temporary build at Tripoli as a Command Center (a little discipline is always good, even for a pirate).

Now is the time to decide what our next research target is going to be. The Cuspidore is inclined to favor Social Psych - allowing RecComms for increasing our workforce in some bases to take advantage of all those special resource tiles, but there has also been mention of other stuff, such as the desirabillity of resonance (weapons or armor?), which would require Progen Psych instead. I don't know exactly what the offerings will be, but I did do a quick test run to see what might happen next following the tech path we are on. The Choices were ProgenPsych, Infonets, IndustBase and SocialPsych - but, the initial choice was not identical to our game, so this may not be a valid prediction - maybe I'll do a few more tests. In any case. perhaps we need a quick poll on this?

Here is the link to the end-turn file for those of you who can read it.

I plan to submit it to the Drones around noon EDT.
Old June 2, 2003, 05:14   #32
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

Well I still can't get the save *kicks her computer* but looks like it was a good turn - definetly temp switch to the sea formers, those take a while in the early years. I like the idea of the Sea CP @ 'Rita, getting a base staered in those warmer waters will help outr energy (and tech!) grow faster
Old June 2, 2003, 07:57   #33
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 03:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I favour Soc Psych. If we don't have Rec.coms in place it can upset the build programme. Cause you would need to change the drone to doctor or increase the psych setting at the expense of Econ or Labs.
Old June 2, 2003, 08:00   #34
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Cap'n Maki can you get my sav files iF so I can forward Cusp's end of sav file as well.
Old June 2, 2003, 08:52   #35
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

Yes I got yours just fine -- this is so freaky
Old June 2, 2003, 16:01   #36
johndmuller
King

Turn Submitted in Demo Turn Thread a while ago

Cap'n Maki, I dunno what the &%@$! is going on with the .zip files. Let me see if I understand your problem:[list=1][*]that you can acquire the files I have posted in the Poly upload area - that is you can save a copy to your own disk, and it is a reasonaable size - but when you try to unzip them, there is some problem?[*] When you get my .zipfiles via w-mail they are similarly not possible to open? [*] OTOH, you can unzip/open .zip files from Cap'n Hercules?[*] Does that mean that you unzip/open the ones that are posted in the main demo thread?[*] If so, can you also unzip/open the ones that I have been posting there (aside from not knowing the Dronzzzzz password?[*] You are using WinXP, and using its built-in unzipping powers?[*] If so, have you tried unzipping my files with something else, like WinZip[*] Aside from switching to .sav files, which we most certainly can and will do if necessary (or me swithching to XP - which I could do, but most certainly won't do right now ), do you have any other ideas as to what might work?[*] Cap'n Hercules, are you using WinXP?[/list=1]

I heard a second vote for Social Psych - and no voices recently seeming to recommend either the resonance path or the other variations (Ind Base/Auto or Probes, was it?) at this point, so I probably won't bother with a poll unless there is someone recommending option other than Social Psych at the moment. Of course, there is always the possibility that it won't be offered. I ran a second test of the tech sequence in an SP game, and got the same (different from our game) offerings as the first test. I don't know what that means exactly, perhaps something in the way Googlie set up the MP version (the tech cost in our game is also considerably higher than in the SP version). So I guess we'll just have to see what we get; any thoughts on second choices if Social Psych isn't offered?
Old June 2, 2003, 17:34   #37
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 19:01
I'm using WinXP, but all my zipping and unzipping is with ultimateZip - a free utility (from download.com)

I have had no trouble with any of the zipped attachments or links either here or in numerous PBEMs I'm in or am moderating.

It's worth a try if winzip is giving problems

G.
Old June 2, 2003, 18:20   #38
foolish_icarus
ACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsNever Ending Stories
King

If Social Psych isn't available go for Progenitor Psych
Old June 2, 2003, 23:17   #39
Makahlua
King

Installed WinZip & I could open your files just fine; I'm guessing M$ hasn't worked out all the bugs in the built in zipping Now I feel silly for not having tried that earlier
Old June 3, 2003, 13:03   #40
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 20:01
Re: Turn message - 2107
Quote:
Originally posted by johndmuller

Popping the pod revealed a landmark called "The Southern Marshes" (named by Googlie presumably, the rest of the landmarks have pirate names); one supposes that there is some significance to the name.
The "marshes" have appeared in a few Googlie games that I played. They were usually a series of rainy lands, connected in EVERY direction to other river squares. They also tended to be VERY low-lying ( 10m) so prone to flooding if there is a searise-- I don't recall anything else special about them but always check. . . On one googlie game I found a large island with mag tubes in place already
Old June 5, 2003, 08:36   #41
Hercules
Deity

I notice Maki can now unzip the files so I may not need to circulate everyone with the new turn.

As posted in Green witch. on opening the turn I found the same tech choices as Maki. That is Progen Psy, Biogen. Info Net and Applied Phys.

From that choice I would go for Info Net as its on the road to Plan net.

Re worker in Margaritaville, suggest 1 turn change of worker from min square to nut square to speed up increase to size 2, by 1 turn.
Old June 5, 2003, 13:06   #42
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

2109 my thoughts

( note that all proposed switches would happen after any pod popping to try to get instabuilds and likely only on the turn when we are ready to rush)

Tripoli -- change the build to a former and rush build the thing-- pay the premium for having less than 10 minerals built as we have cash-- 30 ec should be more than enough to complete the thing ( I'll check the formula if I get a chance)

Move the transport back to triploli This turn so the former can begin move to 55,69 immediately next turn, to mine the square and the Transport can get 3 moves back toward Liar liar--

Liar Liar-- switch to a land CP for placement on Henry's boot-- plan to rush the CP as it grows to size 2 and a transport is in range-- the transport should get there in two turns after this one

Other base -- Rush a sea CP ASAP after achieving size 2 for placement in the geothermal shallows that we can see the south portion

Ships--

Scout the geothermal for base placement sites. Move transport as I mentioned. Plan to build another ship in Tripoli after the former-- I am thinking a warship that we send directly away from us in some direction -- perhaps directly east of Tripoli in an attempt to locate others on Planet. We have enough base site for the moment and the existing ships will likely find more faster than we can pump out the pods
Old June 5, 2003, 13:13   #43
Flubber
Deity

Just read the cuspidors post above and

1. agree on switching the instabuilds to sea formers ASAP-- I would do it for all bases since we are unlikely to be fighting on land sone

2. Disagree on using the transport to move the scout at LIar LIar. IMHO, getting a former on the mineral special at 55,69 is of primary importance and then helping get a CP placed. THen you could use it to pop that land pod -

As always though I will help in whatever the captains shall see as the best course of action.
Old June 5, 2003, 21:14   #44
johndmuller
King

2109 Turn
Well, after figuring out all the movement, production and labor schedules for 5 years or so, we went and got a free build at 'Rita this turn (a Sea Former) due to the pod the northern Schooner popped. So, all my nice production/logistics charts and the advertisement for the Shipping News are all going to have to be revised. I had a really nice plan . . . . (almost makes me sorry we got the freebie).

The other pod on the south popped two kelp tiles (which I suppose will come in handy eventually - and probably spread nicely too).

Anyway, I made some more logistics plans and I tentatively think that we can make an efficient transport pass in the opposite direction. We returned the BootyBoat (you'll have to wait for the Pirate Merchantile System press conference to understand that reference) to Tripoli and rushed the Former there as in the original plan, to be moved onto the Rocky-Min Special for a mine. We then will go to Liar's Lair (Flubber, the 2nd word is supposed to be Lair), where another Infantry Former is being prepared - tentatively slated for delivery to the Nut Special on Morgan's Boot (Forest), although using the Former to pop the pod on Treasure Islet and staying there to terraform seems to make the round trip work better as the ship can continue around the Islet and go to 'Rita via the northern route (saving 2 mp's) and a year worth of layover for the future CP at Tripoli. As you might imagine, the BootyBoat is to go to 'Rita next to allow its Land Former to disembark, then on to Tripoli to pick up a Land CP for delivery to Morgan's Boot. Thinking of building a SeaFormer next at Liar's, then another Land CP to wherever seems good (or a Sea Colony if that seems better and can be done without wasting an unemployed Doctor too long.

So much for that ramble, I am having a lot of trouble with my ISP's DNS so I keep losing my connection and getting those annoying popups over and over again - a real PIA ... and very distracting to the train of thought - a more coherent post later with the revised glamor items.

A link to the almost end of turn is here
Old June 6, 2003, 03:59   #45
johndmuller
King

Well, the Cuspidor's University slave advisor has been working overtime and he has come up with a very elaborate plan for some time well into in the future (long beyond the next cask of xenorum at least). Now the Cuspidore has to try to stuff it into this bottle called the Poly Forum. I wonder how many tries it will take.

Pirate Maritime System Comprehensive Transport Routing, Labor, Terraforming and Base Production Schedules
Code:
Year.....Transport Itinery.....Bases......Builds.......Notes (Net)Prod/PrevTot Mins & Nuts *=ComingNextTurn 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2109.....(48,68) to Tripoli....Tripoli....InfFormer....Rush 4 to finish in 2110   +7/13* Mins +3/3 Nuts
...............................'Rita......SeaFormer....Work (55,63) FreebieBuildPod +3/40* Mins +4/18 Nuts
...............................Liar's.....InfFormer....Continue working (42,66)   +2/9 Mins +4/10 Nuts

2110.....(TPort at Dock).......Tripoli....InfColony....W(54,66)&(54,70) Frmr->(55,69)M +5/0 Mins +6/6 Nuts
(Offload Former->(55,69) Mins).'Rita......InfFormer....Work (55,61) SF->(59,65)f  +5/0 Mins +3/22 Nuts
....TPort: Tripoli to (48,68)..Liar's.....InfFormer....W(48,68) Rush 4 / due 2111 +5/15* Mins +2/14 Nuts

2111.(a) (48,68) to Liar's.....Tripoli....InfColony....Working (54,66) & (54,70)  +5/5 Mins +6/12 Nuts
.....(b) .to (45,65) w/Former..'Rita......InfFormer....Continue Working (55,61)   +5/3 Mins +3/22*+3 Nuts
(Offload Former->(46,64) Pod)..Liar's.....TPort/SFormr.Switch to Work (42,66)     +2/0 Mins +4/16 Nuts

2112.....(45,65) to (47,61)....Tripoli....InfColony....Working (54,66) & (54,70)  +5/15 Mins +6/18 Nuts
...............................'Rita......InfFormer....Working (55,61) & (59,65)  +8/8 Mins +2/3 Nuts
(Move Frmr @(46,64)->? Forest).Liar's.....TPort/SFormr.Switch to Work (42,66)     +2/1 Mins +4/20 Nuts

2113.....(47,61) to (53,61)....Tripoli....InfColony....Working (54,66) & (54,70)  +5/20 Mins +6/24 Nuts
...............................'Rita......InfFormer....Working (55,61) & (59,65)  +8/16* Mins +2/5 Nuts
...............................Liar's.....TPort/SFormr.Switch to Work (48,68)     +5/3 Mins +2/22*+2 Nuts

2114.....(53,61) to 'Rita......Tripoli....InfColony....Working (54,66) & (54,70)  +5/25* Mins +6/30 Nuts
....(Former Board Transport)...'Rita......SeaColony....W(55,61)&(59,65) SF@(59,65)S +8/4 Mins +3/5 Nuts
...............................Liar's.....TPort/SFormr.Working (42,66) & (48,68)  +5/8 Mins +3/4 Nuts

2115.(a) .to (55,63) w/Former..Tripoli....SeaColony....Working (54,66) & (54,70)  +5/0 Mins +6/?? Nuts 
(Offload Frmr->(55,61) Forest).'Rita......SeaColony....Working (55,61) & (59,65)  +8/12 Mins +3/8 Nuts
.....(b) (55,63) to (53,65)....Liar's.....TPort/SFormr.Working (42,66) & (48,68)  +5/13 Mins +3/7 Nuts

2116.(a).(53,65) to Tripoli....Tripoli....SeaColony....Working (54,66) & (54,70)  +5/5 Mins +6/?? Nuts
..(ColonyPod Board Transport)..'Rita......SeaColony....Working (55,61) & (59,65)  +8/20 Mins +3/11 Nuts
.....(b) Tripoli to (51,69)....Liar's.....TPort/SFormr.Working (42,66) & (48,68)  +5/18 Mins +3/10 Nuts

2117.....(51,69) to (46,68)....Tripoli....SeaColony....Working (54,66) & (54,70)  +5/10 Mins +6/?? Nuts
...............................'Rita......SeaColony....Working (55,61) & (59,65)  +8/28 Mins +3/14 Nuts
...............................Liar's.....TPort/SFormr.Working (42,66) & (48,68)  +5/23 Mins +3/13 Nuts

2118.....(46,68) to (40,68)....Tripoli....SeaColony....Working (54,66) & (54,70)  +5/15 Mins +6/?? Nuts
(Offload Colony->(40,66) Base).'Rita......SeaColony....Working (55,61) & (59,65)  +8/36 Mins +3/17 Nuts
...............................Liar's.....TPort/SFormr.Working (42,66) & (48,68)  +5/28 Mins +3/16 Nuts

Well, it might actually fit into that bottle after all, with nary a harsh word so far even.

OK Mateys, see if this chart makes any sense, and if it does, see if the plan itself, that the chart presumes to depict makes any sense too. Mostly likely there are bookkeeping errors and some things not taken into account properly; feel free to point them out.

Last edited by johndmuller; June 6, 2003 at 04:09.
Old June 6, 2003, 15:50   #46
foolish_icarus
ACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsNever Ending Stories
King

I didn't check the math for the chart, but the content looks good
Old June 8, 2003, 03:14   #47
johndmuller
King

2110 turn
Well Mateys, after sending out a sob story about all my ISP troubles, I seem to have a stable link at the moment after all, so I was able to post the turn to the Drones on the main thread. sorry about just playing it through without the customary interlude for your comments, but it seemed that I should just go ahead and do it while I could, especially as there seemed to be no dissent about the turn plan and nothing particularly unexpected or thought provoking in the turn itself.

There were a couple of errors in that chart I posted with the plan (overestimating the nut production at Tripoli and the min production at 'Rita, but I don't think they affect the plan significantly (the former was going to be ready earlier than necessary at 'Rita anyway and there are plenty of nuts at Tripoli as it is (too bad the errors weren't in our favor anyway).

There are a few new nut specials in view, 1 each in the north and south; I expect to further explore with those two gunboats in their respective areas, they each look promising for new bases.

Next turn, I plan to pick up the new former and drop it on the pod at Treasure Islet. The following turn, the booty-boat will sail away north and east for 'Rita, and the former will find something to terraform on that or a nearby tile on the Islet (suggestions welcome).

Here is a copy of the near-end-turn zip. I guess my connection proplems were just so much crying wolf. (for my next trick I'll announce that the sky is falling)

Last edited by johndmuller; June 8, 2003 at 03:19.
Old June 9, 2003, 18:08   #48
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Once there's something thought provoking I'll happily chime in... thus far it's all the easy start-up infrastructure stuff.

Once we actually meet somebody or get an IoD mad at us (like actually a nice big swarm of 'em) that's when it'll start getting interesting.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...