Old May 21, 2003, 23:40   #1
mucker
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
why does my game crash?
Does anybody else get a failed to save game message after the game crashes? This is driving me crazy. First, I thought it was because I was running mods since I can't remember this happening when I bought the game years ago. So I delete all my files and reinstall the game but I still get the message. Anyone know why?
Old May 22, 2003, 03:48   #2
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 03:07
Never had this one...........

Which operation system are you using? Win XP/2000? Might be a problem of your level of user.....

And I guess it isn't HD-space?
Old May 22, 2003, 08:42   #3
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Sorry mucker, this is a new one for me. Has your computer changed at all since you first played CTP2(like OS/hardware etc?).
One thing, is the game crashing all the time and then you get this message, or does it happen when you try to save the game?
If it is the former then you could try to disable the autosave function(a bit of a shot in the dark.)
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old May 22, 2003, 17:54   #4
mucker
Chieftain

Well, I don't know much about my system. I'm running WindowsME. I haven't added any hardware, but tons of software and downloads. Since none of my other programs are affected in this way, I don't think these are the problem.

I do play with autosave on and when the game crashes I get the message: 980424-JRL-001-failed to write save game file. Since I can't reopen my autosaves, I guess it is a problem with that feature. It's just very annoying! Could it be that my CD is damaged? I did the maximum install but still need the CD to play.
Old May 22, 2003, 20:22   #5
mucker
Chieftain

I just played a game without autosave on and the game still crashed, but I didn't get an error message.
Old May 23, 2003, 07:09   #6
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

You are not using any kind of virus-protection system, which would deny access?

Just to clarify:

1.) You can start a game?
2.) You can make turns?
3.) Did you already try to go into the cheat mode and save the map/game from there?
Old May 23, 2003, 07:19   #7
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:07
Make sure you have no other programs running in the background, they could well be responsible for this problem.

Edit: Gilg beat me to it (but note that it's not just anti-virus software that could cause problems, any other programs could be equally problematic.
Old May 23, 2003, 23:31   #8
mucker
Chieftain

Hello again. I don't have any problems starting a game or turns, and I don't use the cheat mode. I also don't have any virus software (bad, I know), nor have I run any programs in the background. Since this only happens with CTPII, and not any other programs, I'm really hoping I just have a damaged CD?
Old May 24, 2003, 10:01   #9
Gilgamensch
King

Sounds a bit wird......

Then some other question:

You did install the patch from Activision?

What is then the size of your exe-file?

For cheat-mode, that was just to check, if it works in there, nothing else, not about cheating
Old May 25, 2003, 08:01   #10
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:07
Gilgamensch has a point with the patch: in the unpatched game, savegames did indeed used to cause problems. Make sure the patch has been installed properly. If it has, the version number should be visible in the bottom right corner of the opening screen (see below).

If it was a problem with your CD, you should probably have had problems installing the game. Since that doesn't seem to have been the case, I don't think that that's a very likely explanation (though it can't be ruled out entirely).
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	main_patch.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	46049