View Poll Results: Where should we build our next bases?
Red: 1 0 0%
Red: 2 2 14.29%
Red: 3 3 21.43%
Red: 4 0 0%
Red: 5 0 0%
Red: Write-in 1 7.14%
Red: Cybobanana 1 7.14%
Blue: 1 0 0%
Blue: 2 2 14.29%
Blue: 3 0 0%
Blue: 4 0 0%
Blue: 5 3 21.43%
Blue: Write-in 1 7.14%
Blue: Cybobanana 1 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22, 2003, 08:02   #1
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 02:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
New Bases
Since we have discovered more, I feel we need a new poll, to take this into account, since people may wish to vote differently due to new information.

Please vote for one Red and one Blue option, between 1 and 5.

You have 2 days.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 22, 2003, 08:11   #2
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

I'm thinking 5 for blue, since we get both the energy and the nutrients, built on a river, and it gives room for another base in the western corner of the continent.

For red I would go 2, since it has only 2 sea squares, is built on a river, is near the nutrients and locks in nicely with AP, not overlapping, but not wasting any. However 1, 5 or 3 also look quite good.

BTW: 2red is the Pink from last time, and 4blue is the Dark Green from last time. Dark Green won, and Pink drew.

Last edited by Drogue; May 22, 2003 at 08:19.
Old May 22, 2003, 10:35   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:08
You didn't include the the option which had a draw in the north in the previous poll.
Therefore I voted write-in for the north, but also for Red 3.
For the south I again voted for Blue, but also for Write-in: on the nutrient bonus as a second choice.

Quote:
For red I would go 2, since it has only 2 sea squares
You don't know that for sure.
Old May 22, 2003, 15:50   #4
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
You didn't include the the option which had a draw in the north in the previous poll.
Yes, because the pod turned out to be a nutrient resources. Would people want to build on that? I presumed not. However would people please vote write-in if they wish to use that. I had presumed now, but you can change your votes to it if you wish.

Quote:
Therefore I voted write-in for the north, but also for Red 3.
For the south I again voted for Blue, but also for Write-in: on the nutrient bonus as a second choice.
Ok, for both, which do you want to count as your vote (you can wait until the end to tell me if you wish)?

Quote:
You don't know that for sure.
I think we do. Look at the picture, can you see the raised bit to the northeast of those numbers? I think that suggests it might be land not sea.

Old May 22, 2003, 18:41   #5
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 23:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
red 3, blue 2 (much as i hate to waste time back-tracking)
Old May 22, 2003, 19:48   #6
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 21:08
Red 3, Blue 4, but blue 2 is acceptable too
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old May 23, 2003, 05:29   #7
Drogue
staff

I need one more vote. Red 2 or 3, Blue 2 or 5. What are the advantages of blue 2 over blue 5, other than being within 3 squares of AP? If it stays like this, I think the fairest thing would be for me to compromise over Red, and take Red 3, but then take Blue 5, being that they are tied. I would really prefer someone to break the tie though.

Old May 23, 2003, 05:30   #8
Drogue
staff

Maniac: Have you decided which you want your vote to count for?

Old May 23, 2003, 08:10   #9
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

I'll vote Red3 and Blue 2.
The advantage of Blue 2 is that it isn't too far away from ApPr, and also that it fits in nicely with the coastal line, which will probably be left unused otherwise, as I suppose you wouldn't want to build an extra base 4 squares SW of ApPr.
Old May 23, 2003, 08:18   #10
Drogue
staff

Quote:
I'll vote Red3 and Blue 2.
The advantage of Blue 2 is that it isn't too far away from ApPr, and also that it fits in nicely with the coastal line, which will probably be left unused otherwise
I thought of crawling it.

Quote:
I suppose you wouldn't want to build an extra base 4 squares SW of ApPr.
Actually I would. That was an idea I posted earlier, although I'd go 4 SW and 1 NW personally, if it is land (which I think it will be). Or we could extend it slightly, and build a base there, to make use of that area.

The further out we build now, the more land we can get before we meet another faction, and the more we can build later on with the land we saved.

Old May 23, 2003, 11:54   #11
Maniac

Quote:
The further out we build now, the more land we can get before we meet another faction, and the more we can build later on with the land we saved.
That's only true if we land on a big continent together with another faction. But, seeing we are playing on a 50-70% Ocean map, seeing there doesn't seem to be lots of high terrain in our vicinity, and remembering the few PBEM games I've played where Googlie was the CMN, I think we'll be on an island without any other faction on it. So if we build our bases far apart now instead of a bit closer, we probably won't have more land to build our bases on. Instead we won't gain any extra territory on the fixed-size island, and we'll be able to build fewer bases than the competition on the island we own.
Old May 23, 2003, 13:05   #12
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 19:08
Quote:
and remembering the few PBEM games I've played where Googlie was the CMN, I think we'll be on an island without any other faction on it.
I wouldn't, would I? ............

GGLIE
Old May 23, 2003, 14:06   #13
Drogue
staff

Quote:
we'll be able to build fewer bases than the competition on the island we own.
Actually, I was meanign build them twice as far apart, as such, and then fill in the gaps when we have explored all we wish to. We get the same bases in the same positions at the end, but the earlier bases are spread out more, to try to take more area. All you lose on is the time it takes to get a CP out that much further (maybe 5 or 6 turns) and you gain the territory if we are not on an island.

Although it's just an idea. I'm fine without it.

Old May 23, 2003, 16:23   #14
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 21:08
Let's expand quickly, just in case, then fill in later
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.