Old May 22, 2003, 08:40   #1
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 21:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How much am I paying these advisors?
..I shouldn't trust the Persians, they betrayed my friends the Arabs..

Ok for the record, I killed off the Arabs, I forced Persia to declare war on them against their best wishes.

Somehow it seems like the iraqi information minister has infiltrated my joint chiefs of staff.
Old May 22, 2003, 13:38   #2
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 03:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Listen to them, they speak only the thruth

Mohamed al-Sahaf is currently on administrative leave, bet you didn't guess he would spend time giving you diplomatic advice

Last edited by bongo; May 22, 2003 at 13:43.
Old May 22, 2003, 13:57   #3
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 19:08
I like it when my "friends" are civs on other continents that were killed off before I ever made contact. If the Advisor changed the words "our friends" to "the trustworthy" it would make more sense.
Old May 22, 2003, 14:32   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Once you have any experience with Civ3, only your F3 is helpful (well, maybe your F6, a little). All your others are for newbs only.

Don't sweat it, and don't pay any attention to them. They gave you service when YOU were a newb, and you already paid them (when you bought the game).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 22, 2003, 14:51   #5
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

The Domestic Advisor screen certainly useful (change tax rates, change governments, compare city stats, check turn of anarchy).
The foreign advisor is good to see the big political picture (who has RoPs, what the balance of wars are)
Even the trade advisor screen is nice to see who you can trade with, and who has what to trade (although it would be nice if it showed who needed what)
Only the cultural advisor screen is largely useless. So overall I would hardly say that the advisor SCREENS are for newbs only, although most of their 'comments' are.
Old May 22, 2003, 15:23   #6
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Randolph, you are correct. I was only referring to the advisor comments, not to the screens overall. (When I say "your F3," I am talking about the "person" -- personal habit of mine).

In the late game, I might occasionally see the Cultural to determine if I am going to win a cultural victory soon, since I do not turn that off.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 22, 2003, 16:49   #7
Cruddy
Warlord

Your advisors don't get paid anything, that's why their advice is very shallow.

HOWEVER, when I'm conducting diplomacy, I like to know when an AI civ is ranked as an "untrustworthy liar".
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 22, 2003, 17:15   #8
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Well my foreign advisor has a 100% hit accuracy to whether or not a civilization will accept a trade. He must be a spy, I''ll kill'm.

or is that the female.. I Don't remember, none of the advisors have personality any more
Old May 22, 2003, 20:25   #9
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Occasionally, your F1 (the domestic nag), has a real attitude problem, and she expresses herself verbally! E.g., "I'm not supposed to be here today."

Minor entertainment, and you have to watch for it to catch it.
Old May 23, 2003, 00:57   #10
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Advisors are great, when you spend your time playing Civ into the wee hours of the morning you start hallucinating and see them say different things. Only when you look back, its already passed. I swear i've seen my military advisor say "Sleep is for the weak" at like 3am or so. One of these days, i'm gonna get a screenshot.
Old May 23, 2003, 03:45   #11
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 04:08
Trust your advisors, They never lie to you.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	happy.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	45846  
Old May 23, 2003, 07:26   #12
Flandrien
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers
King

Keep an eye on your military advisor.
He will tell you where there are barbarian camps near you.
Old May 23, 2003, 10:40   #13
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
Advisors are great, when you spend your time playing Civ into the wee hours of the morning you start hallucinating and see them say different things. Only when you look back, its already passed. I swear i've seen my military advisor say "Sleep is for the weak" at like 3am or so. One of these days, i'm gonna get a screenshot.
Happens. In the wee hours (2:30, 3:30 or so) my domestic advisor told me this. From time to time my science advisor comes up with "Hail to the Chief Baby!"
Old May 23, 2003, 13:53   #14
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:08
On Soren's 60,000 point game with borg spacing and about 500 cities the domestic advisor said that he needed to "build more cities."
Old May 23, 2003, 16:17   #15
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 04:08
How's the corruption with 500 cities?
Old May 23, 2003, 16:51   #16
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 20:08
"Happens. In the wee hours (2:30, 3:30 or so) my domestic advisor told me this. From time to time my science advisor comes up with "Hail to the Chief Baby!""

one time, i got "compared to you, everyone else has the IQ of a carrot", at least i think thats what he said. anyone else get that?
Old May 23, 2003, 22:06   #17
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

set your clock to said hours and see what happens.