Old May 22, 2003, 11:12   #1
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
HoI question regarding the effectiveness on advanced units
Using cheats, I'm Russia and have conquered Germany, Poland, Hungary, the Baltic States, and occupied Belgium, and the Netherlands (which the Germans occupied). I'm planning to conquer France and England. They have a large surface fleet. Close to 60 or 70 ships. I've got every technology... the date is March of 1937, and I have a question regarding the sea units.

I've got about 7 Nuclear Subs and close to 14 upgraded surface ships and subs. How effective will my Navy be against the pre-war ships that the Allies have? I've got about 20 nuclear vessels in production that should be ready by the end of 1937. Should I wait until they are done before going to war against the Allies? I still have Austria and the Balkan region to conquer. But I want to know if my Navy could take the Allies. Anybody have any answers for me?

thanks
Sava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 14:41   #2
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 04:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well the Electric Submarine has an Naval attack value of 20 I recall. PreWar BB only happen to be at 13 or so. UNfortunatly Submarine Defense is lacking so i'd wait.
But of course I think your Naval Doctrines are far superior to theirs which could even tip a 1-4 battle to your Favour.
Old May 22, 2003, 17:23   #3
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Well you little cheater(), I'd say that with all techs in 1937, you are going to have a long, easy and booooring game, but you'll win almost no matter what!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 11:53   #4
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

UPDATE: It's December 1937 now... I've conquered all of Europe except for England, Spain, Portugal, and the Netherlands. Asia Minor is also mine. I'm in the process of destroying France, and the US is a Stalinist state. I've had many battles with larger fleets. I still like to outnumber my opponents, but the advanced ships are effective against the larger pre-war fleets. I have two groups of 4 naval bombers that help out when a really large group attacks me. But usually, I invade the provinces using a large paratrooper force before they can use their naval fleet.

The fastest way, I've discovered, of conquering a region is as follows:

Use fighters and annihilate their air capabilities.
Use tactical bombers night and day on provinces. Any ground units are usually dead before my advancing tanks get there.
Paradrop in all empty territory quickly. Using a minimum of two, as long as the newly conquered provinces are in supply, you can leapfrog and take a large expanse of land with only two paratroopers.

I conquered France in 3 days and 2 hours using this method. Although I have been using cheats, I didn't use the "God mode" cheat where my units are invincible. But I did get all the techs.
Old May 26, 2003, 20:08   #5
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 10:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
I didn't use the "God mode" cheat where my units are invincible. But I did get all the techs.
In 1937 I'd say that's pretty much 6 of one and a half dozen of the other...

Tactical bombers face much tougher opposition when the enemy has generally higher tech (AAA, SAM's, etc), so you won't have the same level of success when you play on a more even footing.
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 21:40   #6
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Well I am playing an alternate version of historical events.

It's possible, however unlikely, that Russia could have had turbojet fighers and bombers in 1937 had things gone a little different.
Old May 27, 2003, 03:49   #7
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 10:09
Actually this isn't a bad idea in principle...
World conquest with a super hi-tech (courtesy of a few time travellers) Luxembourg!
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 06:30   #8
Kropotkin
Emperor

HoI is so easy that there's no need for cheats. If one wants to win it's just to take up the red flag and marsch to Berlin in two years. Now, on the other hand one could pick a country that's weak and actually think a second or two before going into war.
Old May 28, 2003, 16:58   #9
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

My goal is to possess every province on the planet.
Old May 29, 2003, 06:40   #10
Kropotkin
Emperor

Could take a while. I'd guess that the final parts could be quite boring. But then again. It often turns out that way at the end. It's never hard in the end.
Old May 29, 2003, 09:32   #11
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

It goes a lot faster using my paratrooper strategy.

I've got about 20-30 transport planes and close to 100 paratroopers world-wide. I've got about 60 tactical jet bombers that wipe out those lone infantry-men. For instance, when I took out France, Spain, and Portugal in the month of December 1937; my strategy was as follows.

1. Declare war (first surrounding areas with huge naval groups)
2. Send fighters after all air units
3. Paradrop into all empty provinces
4. After enemy air units dead, send in tactical bombers
5. Reinforce paratroopers with Mech and Mot Infantry
6. Paradrop into newly "vacant" provinces
7. Annex nation

Usually, they don't even get a chance to move any ground forces. I keep around 10-12 naval bombers around in order to attack routed naval units. I'm not satisfied with simply routing units, while they are in retreat, I bomb the sh1t out of them.

Update on my current game!

Feb. 1938: All of Europe is mine except for UK and one Netherlands' province (I annexed Amsterdam when I conquered Germany ). In Asia, all that is left is China (both Nationalist and Commie), Japan and it's puppet, and the UK holdings. I'm poised to take Nationalist China as they are preoccupied with Japan. Vietnam, Siam, and Tibet are mine, and I have lots of paratroopers, transport planes, and jet divisions prepared to rush in. I'm also preparing to conquer the Independent Carribean nations. Then I shall take South America... then perhaps, UK and it's Allies, Japan and lastly, the US.

I should do all this before 1940... if all goes as planned.
Old June 6, 2003, 06:29   #12
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 09:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin
HoI is so easy that there's no need for cheats. If one wants to win it's just to take up the red flag and marsch to Berlin in two years. Now, on the other hand one could pick a country that's weak and actually think a second or two before going into war.
Exactly.
I've played my previous game as Yugoslavia. That's was pretty cool game. Conqest of Italy in 1936, annexation of Germany and France in 1940... It was very cool game, but in 1940 I had almost entire Europe (except Switzerland, Spain and Portugal), almost entire South America (Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay) and almost entire Africa and Middle East (all former Italian, French, Belgian and British colonies except some British desert provinces) I had over 400IC and lost my interest because there was no competition anymore. I never invade USSR because it's moraly wrong. And USA is just a paper tiger. Last time I played as Soviets I've conquered USA within 19 days. So I started new game as Bulgaria. It's cool. It's 1937 and I already conqured Turkey and Persia with minimal loss of manpower. Bulgaria has less than 200 manpower at the beggining and very slow manpower growth (2,4 per month, now in 1937 it's 2,9 thanks to Bulgarian minister of security)
Sava, why you don't play as Yugoslavia?

Serbia forever!!!
Old June 10, 2003, 21:46   #13
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 19:09
So have the patches fixed this game or should it say buried in my software cabinet?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2003, 05:15   #14
Serb
Emperor

You should try it with 1.04. Patches fixed hundreds of problems. In comparison with 1.01, 1.04 is absolutely different game.
Old June 12, 2003, 19:49   #15
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 12:09
Yeah, but paratroopers are still such a massive cheat. I mean, they shouldn't be able to influence the ownership of a province. That's why I shelved it. Till that fix that, it ain't worth playing.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2003, 01:13   #16
Mordoch
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Yeah, but paratroopers are still such a massive cheat. I mean, they shouldn't be able to influence the ownership of a province. That's why I shelved it. Till that fix that, it ain't worth playing.
Wait till the next patch then and you'll see some very significant improvements in that area... (I'm a closed beta tester for HOI.)
Mordoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2003, 02:31   #17
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 12:09
Hope so. I'll check it out when the patch is done. Thanks Mordoch.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2003, 05:58   #18
Nikolai
Deity

Dale, you can always make yourself a houserule.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old June 14, 2003, 21:27   #19
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Yeah, but paratroopers are still such a massive cheat.
Just don't use them.
Old June 15, 2003, 07:09   #20
Nikolai
Deity

My point exactly.