Old May 23, 2003, 13:52   #1
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 02:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Anybody have an xbox?
I've got an xbox console and I can't find any good games for it. I prefer the RPG and xbox seems to hold this genre in some disdain. If anyone has one, what games have you played and liked? I haven't fired my up since December and I hate seeing that three hundred dollar doorstop in my entertainment center.
Old May 23, 2003, 15:48   #2
Nostromo
Emperor

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I enjoyed Morrowind very much. It's a complex RPG. I haven't tried it yet, but there's also Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. It's like Diablo, but with better graphics. And coming soon: "Star Wars: knights of the old republic" and "Deus Ex 2".
Old May 23, 2003, 16:45   #3
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 18:13
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Unreal Championship
RallySport Challenge (note this is not Collin McCray Rally Suckass, it's the Microsoft one)
Phantasy Star Online (an old Dreamcast port, I don't like it but my friends can't stop playing).
Halo!
Morrowind is great if you're able to ignore the huge game balance issues, it's also much better on PC (with mods).

Fable is coming out eventually (like 2004). That should be a good RPG.
Old May 23, 2003, 17:45   #4
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

is the xbox joystick beter than the ps2 one?
Old May 23, 2003, 18:27   #5
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Depends on what you are using it for. Overall the Xbox controllers (and everything else hardware in general) are better than the PS2's controllers; however, PS2 controllers are better for fighting games IMO.

Also, keep in mind that there are 2 sizes of Xbox controller. The little ones are better for most stuff, but the big ones are great for racing games.
Old May 23, 2003, 18:49   #6
Nostromo
Emperor

I forgot... You should also try Splinter Cell. It's not a RPG, but it's a great game.
Old May 24, 2003, 00:38   #7
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Xbox sux.
Old May 24, 2003, 06:23   #8
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

I take it then that you hate all consoles, because the xbox is hands down the best one.
Old May 24, 2003, 06:25   #9
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 20:13
Drake is a Nintendo fanboy.
Old May 24, 2003, 06:30   #10
Space05us
King

Local Time: 14:13
Halo is X-box
Old May 24, 2003, 12:45   #11
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 04:13
Game consoles aren't for geeks, unless it's one modified Xbox or the PS2 with Linux. They're only meant for gaming and there's pretty much no good RTS or TBS games for any consoles (well, PS had Civ II). So a PC is better as it combines both, but it's indeed more expensive.

So no, I do not have an Xbox.
Old May 24, 2003, 12:52   #12
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

yeah, the load time on civ2 was killer.... PCs are way better for tbs games etc.....

i like consols for fighting , racing, etc...
Old May 24, 2003, 15:10   #13
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

i have a xbox, dead to rights is a pretty good game
Old May 24, 2003, 15:13   #14
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
yeah, the load time on civ2 was killer...
Yeah, I've seen my friend play civ on the PS1 (i didn't know they release civ 2). When it got near the end of the game, the computer would seriously take close to an hour to move. That was on the PS1 though, I think systems now could handle it.
Old May 24, 2003, 15:15   #15
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Ah, then he must like decent games on a completely inferior system. Unless Nintendo does something quick, they're gonna be just like Sega, development only.
Old May 24, 2003, 16:15   #16
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 21:13
Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike
Ah, then he must like decent games on a completely inferior system.
Oh please,
Old May 24, 2003, 16:23   #17
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 04:13
I don't have Xbox, and I don't plan to get one either. I like the games on the PC, but the games avilable for the consoles haven't been something for me since Nintendo's golden age and to some degree Mario 64. But nothing surpasses the good old games from NES and SNES!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old May 24, 2003, 21:40   #18
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:13
Quote:
I've got an xbox console and I can't find any good games for it. I prefer the RPG and xbox seems to hold this genre in some disdain.
Then the question remains, why did you get the xbox in the first place?
Old May 24, 2003, 22:51   #19
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

I got an Xbox just for a game that I already have for PS2.

Old May 24, 2003, 22:57   #20
DinoDoc
Deity

Sucker.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old May 25, 2003, 00:37   #21
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Nah, I just enjoy playing quality exclusive titles on my consoles. Does the Xbox have any of those left? The Xbox game library was looking pretty pathetic the last time I went shopping.
Old May 25, 2003, 00:43   #22
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Nah, I just enjoy playing quality exclusive titles on my consoles. Does the Xbox have any of those left?
Crimson Skies (This one really hurts).
Old May 25, 2003, 02:53   #23
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Nah, I just enjoy playing quality exclusive titles on my consoles. Does the Xbox have any of those left?
No, none at all.
Let's see...the entire Rare catalogue, Halo, Halo 2, Brute Force, Midtown Madness 3, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars: Republic Commando, Sudeki, B.C., Fable, Crimson Skies, Duality, Dino Crisis 3, Dead or Alive 4, Ninja Gaiden, DOOM III (console exclusive), Half-Life 2 (console exclusive), Psychonauts, etc.

Yes, there's certainly a lot lacking. I also neglected to mention the awesome exclusive racing games (Rallisport Challenge 1 & 2, Project Gotham Racing 1 & 2, SegaGT Online, etc) and the awesome extreme sports games (ala Amped 1 & 2), and general sports-games-awesomeness (ever played NHL 2K3 online? Awesome!). Plus Xbox Live...which is an absolutely huge plus that no one else has come close to competing with.

The reality of the situation, Drake, is Nintendo's sales are lacking, MS' are growing stronger, and developer support for Nintendo is once again waning with a flurry of cancellations for Gamecube games.

I wouldn't be one to talk about having good "exclusive" games, because the Gamecube gets a good exclusive game once in a blue moon, and Gamecube users are getting the shaft with crappy ports and the smallest game selection out of any next-gen console. Don't kid yourself.
Old May 25, 2003, 02:57   #24
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Crimson Skies (This one really hurts).
Isn't that already out for the PC? If so, it isn't an exclusive.

Knights of the Old Republic is an upcoming Xbox exclusive that comes to mind, but that's supposed to be going to PC rather quickly as well.
Old May 25, 2003, 03:01   #25
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I wouldn't be one to talk about having good "exclusive" games, because the Gamecube gets a good exclusive game once in a blue moon, and Gamecube users are getting the shaft with crappy ports and the smallest game selection out of any next-gen console. Don't kid yourself.
The Xbox can't compete with Nintendo exclusives like Zelda and Metroid, let alone the huge PS2 catalog. I have a Gamecube and PS2 and that's all I'm going to need this generation. Microsoft better become more skilled at courting Japanese developers if they want the Xbox 2 to be the industry leader.
Old May 25, 2003, 03:05   #26
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
The Xbox can't compete with Nintendo exclusives like Zelda and Metroid, let alone the huge PS2 catalog. I have a Gamecube and PS2 and that's all I'm going to need this generation. Microsoft better become more skilled at courting Japanese developers if they want the Xbox 2 to be the industry leader.
Please, Zelda was great. Metroid was decent, it was only great if you're a big Metroid nut (which I am not). Metroid in particular was rather stale to me, required little to no skill, and felt more like an FPS that was converted into an "adventure" game to become more canon to Metroid.

The simple fact is, Super Mario Sunshine sucked. Luigi's Mansion sucked. Zelda as great. Metroid was decent.

And other than that, there's not much the Gamecube has going for it.

If you truly had a clue about all of the great games on the Xbox, you'd certainly think differently. You've obviously blinded yourself to all of the great exclusives that other consoles get, because you can't get them yourself.

I have an Xbox and a Gamecube, and the Gamecube gets dusty until a Zelda-type game comes out, and the Xbox gets constant use between me and my brother.

There's a reason that the Xbox is outselling the Gamecube, and the Gamecube titles are being cancelled while Xbox's added...
Old May 25, 2003, 03:13   #27
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Just giving you my opinion, Asher. The Xbox seems to be turning into a poor-man's PC gaming rig, which was what Microsoft promised everyone it wouldn't be. If you like FPS and racing games, then the Xbox might be for you, but fans of any other genre are better off getting a PS2 and maybe a Gamecube if they enjoy Nintendo games.
Old May 25, 2003, 03:15   #28
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Just giving you my opinion, Asher. The Xbox seems to be turning into a poor-man's PC gaming rig
Okay, just shut up & save face and leave this thread and start a Nintendo thread.

This is an Xbox thread, if you want to continue to display monumental ignorance, you may do so -- but be warned you are being stupid and you are outnumbered.
Old May 25, 2003, 03:22   #29
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
This is an Xbox thread, if you want to continue to display monumental ignorance, you may do so -- but be warned you are being stupid and you are outnumbered.
Was that supposed to be a threat? I'm quaking in my boots...

Anyway, the guy who started this thread was complaining about the lack of good RPGs on the Xbox. I think he'd be better off selling his Xbox and buying a PS2 if he wants to play RPGs; the Xbox isn't going to have many good RPGs (particularly console RPGs) in the forseeable future. Simply buying the console with the best hardware is pretty stupid, especially if the console you buy doesn't have any games you like.
Old May 25, 2003, 03:30   #30
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

If he wants to play RPGs, he should buy a PS2, I agree.

But all of your other statements have shown incredible ignorance, which is why I suggest you stop while you still can.