Old April 3, 2001, 20:20   #1
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 00:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hey, check out that AEGIS Cruiser on the lawn!
A sp game has went unsuccessfully without any notable achievements when I got pretty angry and bored. so I decided to play with the cheat mode for a while.

Placing units here and there (mostly nukes ) I decided to use some units I never use such as ships. And somehow, accidentally I put a ship on the land..... And it worked too!

It can't move, but it can attack adjustant units thinking they are on shore, and adjustant units attack my ship with the notice "german ship caught in dock".

One of the AEGIS i assigned to patrol Spanish shores... literally!

I had also put some ships in enemy cities, which made for a wierd effect. They could move out of them, but later got in just as easily without attacking the city.

Other units (such as howitzers) attacked the city after I moved them out and sent them back in.

My AEGIS cruiser parking inside of a Greek city, rendering it useless

What is wierd is that the AI, tried to reconquer the cities that had my units in them, even though they were really under his Control. And then, after finishing off my units, he continued to attack and kill his own units which he himself had fortified to counter my units. Wierd...

The AI units which were in the city when I added my immigran unit to it, stopped functioning and didn't budge. Though he had cruise missiles to use against me, the AI had given up hope on units that were sharing a city with me.

Any one else got these phenomenas or maybe found use for this?

It really struck me that ships can exist on land tiles, they're just aren't alowed to move on to land tiles.

PS. I use 2.42 with original rules.txt (or so I hope)
[This message has been edited by Sirotnikov (edited April 03, 2001).]
Old April 3, 2001, 23:20   #2
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Mmmmm. I was playing a MP Scenario one day last year. No rules.txt adjustments, no nothing. Standard game. Between turns, my ocean-going transport relocated itself to dry land a couple of dozen squares from the nearest coastline. The freight it was carrying remained floating in the ocean square vacated by the transport. Neither the transport nor the freight could be moved. Go figure.

------------------
Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
Horse and Hydey Wrangler
Mono Rules!
Old April 3, 2001, 23:50   #3
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:56
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I saw that once in normal 2 player game with AIs.Happened to my opponent who was hosting.Very odd.I could see them.He could see them.Just floating in the middle of the ocean in "sleep" mode.Couldn't wake them or anything.I tryed to kill them but nothing.Couldn't sail thru them.Happened a couple times as he neared his delivery destination.We never did find the boats.

He says:
"Ok I guess we need to restart"
I say:
"What?You're not going to let a little thing like not being able to deliver cargo get the better of you..."
He says:
"Grrrr...like I said,back out and we restart"

Some people
Old April 4, 2001, 00:29   #4
finbar
Emperor

Yeah. Dang anal-retentive perfectionists.

------------------
Horse and Hydey Wrangler
Mono Rules!
Old April 4, 2001, 04:40   #5
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 22:56
As most of you will know - it is possible to put an 'Aegis on the lawn' legitimately by moving it into a city and then disbanding the city - if a new city is now built adjacent to the ship (further inland) the ship cn move into that city which in turn can be disbanded.

This allows a mechanism for fleets to move via 'canals' to different oceans and for their use as fairly heavy weight defenses inland

------------------
Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old April 4, 2001, 11:32   #6
Hasdrubal
Prince

Local Time: 23:56
quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 04-03-2001 11:50 PM
Just floating in the middle of the ocean in "sleep" mode.Couldn't wake them or anything.I tryed to kill them but nothing.Couldn't sail thru them

Hmm...this makes me wonder, couldn't one disband a transport loaded with a sleeping obsolete or cheap unit on an ocean choke point, like a canal, rendering passage for ships impossible, indefinitly?
This could well be used stategically, especially if you yourself have got a passageway through an 'Panama-canal' city. I must check this out at home to see if it works...
Old April 4, 2001, 14:39   #7
Sirotnikov
Emperor

But did you ever managed to get the computer attck it's own units???

Did your unit ever accidentally got in a computer controlled city without conquering it?
Old April 5, 2001, 01:26   #8
finbar
Emperor

Stranger than that, I've seen - twice - an enemy civ unit built inside another civ's city. If you follow what I'm saying. Twice - in different games - players built improvements in their cities, and got, instead of the improvement, a unit with the colours of one of the other civs. The unit couldn't be moved, just disbanded. Strange but true.

------------------
Horse and Hydey Wrangler
Mono Rules!
Old April 5, 2001, 06:20   #9
East Street Trader
Prince

Local Time: 22:56
I've had renegade cities crop up, a long time ago and late in games where I'd played for a score.

What happened,IIRC, is that the city would still appear to be mine but any of my units in it would not function and if I tried to move a unit into the city it would treat it as enemy territory and attack.

I can't remember ever seeing the A1 try to move a unit in but from Sirotnikov's experience they probably would have been free to move in and out and would not have been able to attack (although whether all the A1 civs would be affected or only one is a question).

I didn't check whether I was getting the production from the city or not.

I put it down to my machine getting a bit challenged by the size of the game.
Old April 5, 2001, 07:25   #10
finbar
Emperor

Possibly that, or just the software having a kitten as it seems to like to occasionally.

------------------
Horse and Hydey Wrangler
Mono Rules!
Old April 5, 2001, 09:44   #11
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 16:56
SG (above) describes the standard way to move ships onto the lawn. This is particularly fun with battleships. Move one to the middle of a 3-wide isthmus and have fun as the AI tries to walk past. (Until they discover rocketry, anyway...)

While monkeying around with barbarians (in cheat mode), I discovered that they really are barbarous. They spare no effort killing their own settlers! I even piled a horde of barbarians in squares adjacent one of my cities; They all dashed off to kill a barbarian settler 5 squares away. Only after he was dead did they resume their usual annoyances.

That said, I've never seen AI civs attack themselves.

------------------
"There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
-Philip of Macedon
Old April 5, 2001, 16:54   #12
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:56
WTF do you play with the germans???

Using the cheat mode you can create "unplanned" situations, and of course that the AI will act in the same "unplanned" way.
Old April 5, 2001, 17:16   #13
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Wtf? i like germans. Though I generally play romans, germans are my second choise. What's the problem?

Having nightmares from WWII? Forget it. You can't hold a grudge forever. It's better to forgive and forget.

Also, be I in the same position, except for the undescriminant ethnic cleansing, I would do roughly similar things to hitler. I'm a militaristc expansionst in soul as well
Old April 5, 2001, 22:41   #14
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:56
being an evil sadistic leader is fun when nobody actually gets hurt