Old May 26, 2003, 00:58   #31
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 18:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
I don't see why you are so quick to blame the system here in this case. I say it is the boy's own fault if they aren't learning here. So it's the schools fault if these boys can't sit down through class, do their homework, study? What these boys who are failing to perform need here is discipline, so they can catch up with the boys and girls who can do well academically.
It's kind of hard to blame little kids. They whipped my a$$ and it didn't help a bit. You do have to teach some kids differently.
Old May 26, 2003, 01:00   #32
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
I don't mean students shouldn't be able to ask questions, in fact every HS teacher and professor I have come across encourages students to participate in class.
I've had the same experience with high school teachers and college professors (as I mentioned in my last post). However, prior to high school, the asking of questions was considered to be disruptive, and got me (and others, usually males) in a great deal of trouble and/or earned me the animosity of the teacher. This severely pissed me off at the time, and spurred me on to committing bigger and better acts of disruption. When high school rolled around I was able to switch gears without too much difficulty -- my acts of pure disruption went back under the table, while my acts of disruption-***-initiative were just as strong as they'd ever been. Others weren't so fortunate -- some had repressed their "disruptive" urges to the extent that they had trouble bringing them back to the surface in high school, while others had gotten so used to their (legitimately) disruptive lifestyle that they had difficulty switching gears. Both of these latter problems tend (in my experience) to affect males far more than females, for the very reasons cited in this thread -- males are less prone to sitting still and quietly twiddling their thumbs, and so they are more likely to be labelled (often falsely) as having disciplinary problems early in their educations.

IMO, if early education were more focused on, well, education, and less focused on discipline, then the disparity would be lessened if not eliminated.

Last edited by loinburger; May 26, 2003 at 01:06.
Old May 26, 2003, 01:15   #33
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

If men can't keep up, its their own goddamn fault. They'll then be losers whose wives earn more than them.

I'm gonna make sure that doesn't happen to me.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old May 26, 2003, 01:16   #34
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 19:20
I wouldn't mind being a house husband. I could sit at home, watch the kids, and watch Oprah.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 26, 2003, 01:16   #35
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Oh, the pain! At least watch Jerry Springer, man...
Old May 26, 2003, 01:17   #36
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 02:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Finally, Americans realizing the flaws of their current educational system
Cause you would love it so if American males got military type training .

Quote:
You must be blind not to notice that .
Most Americans seem to acknowledge that somethings not working, but they dont seem to want to go deeper than that
Old May 26, 2003, 01:19   #37
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
Oh, the pain! At least watch Jerry Springer, man...
Alrighty, Jerry it is though maybe a bit of Montel Williams as well.

Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 26, 2003, 03:21   #38
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Women outclassing men 60/40 academically? Fine by me! I'll stay home and watch the kids while the wife bungles in the business jungle.

(p.s. I have no kids and am in process of divorce)
Old May 26, 2003, 03:51   #39
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 03:20
I don't see a big gender gap here (teach at a law faculty). But there are some subtle differences.

Women have overtaken men in numbers, at least when it comes to class attendence. When I was a student, it was about 50-50. Now it's about 60-40.

On average women seem to learn better, probably put more effort into learning. In one class I offered a test case for practice - got a female/male participation ratio of 17:3 (!). I asked my male colleagues what on earth they are thinking - that they will marry rich?

Another odd thing is the disparity within the groups. Among the absolutely best, there's a clear male majority. Among the absolutly worst, there's an even bigger male majority. (that observation is supported by some studies, but I'm sure there are others to dispute it)

I don't see any particular structural advantage for women though. Seems men are really just more lazy.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old May 26, 2003, 07:12   #40
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:20
Quote:
Others weren't so fortunate -- some had repressed their "disruptive" urges to the extent that they had trouble bringing them back to the surface in high school,
Well, I must say that I do not do as well in the university system as I did in High school. What I liked, and what tends to work for me is having a structured day, five days a week for most of the year.
Old May 26, 2003, 07:52   #41
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 05:20
One thing has to be said: Affirmative action is not the solution.

Improve learning for boys. There are ways to do this, as you've all pointed out.
Old May 26, 2003, 07:56   #42
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Frankly, I'm all for handing society as a whole over to women. And the sooner, the better.
Old May 26, 2003, 07:59   #43
Az
Emperor

Old May 26, 2003, 09:18   #44
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:20
Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
I don't see a big gender gap here (teach at a law faculty). But there are some subtle differences.

Women have overtaken men in numbers, at least when it comes to class attendence. When I was a student, it was about 50-50. Now it's about 60-40.

On average women seem to learn better, probably put more effort into learning. In one class I offered a test case for practice - got a female/male participation ratio of 17:3 (!). I asked my male colleagues what on earth they are thinking - that they will marry rich?

Another odd thing is the disparity within the groups. Among the absolutely best, there's a clear male majority. Among the absolutly worst, there's an even bigger male majority. (that observation is supported by some studies, but I'm sure there are others to dispute it)

I don't see any particular structural advantage for women though. Seems men are really just more lazy.
Lots of people see this more extreme bell curve for males. I'm not sure how much is disposition and how much is intelligence. Some IQ studies show males with a higher standard deviation of IQ (but about the same mode). I've also noticed the female as more willing to take "coaching" type instruction.

Last edited by TCO; May 26, 2003 at 09:27.
Old May 26, 2003, 11:20   #45
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
If men can't keep up, its their own goddamn fault. They'll then be losers whose wives earn more than them.

I heartily agree (no sarcasm), and offer these corollaries: "If women can't keep up, it's their own goddamn fault." "If blacks can't keep up, it's their own goddamn fault." etc.
Old May 26, 2003, 13:14   #46
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
They'll then be losers whose wives earn more than them.

surely you arent serious

Last edited by MRT144; May 26, 2003 at 13:19.
Old May 26, 2003, 14:59   #47
Sandman
King

Perhaps we should consider chucking the whole idea of schools. I learned more by being home sick and watching the publicly owned channels' schools programmes.
Old May 26, 2003, 15:16   #48
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by GP

Lots of people see this more extreme bell curve for males. I'm not sure how much is disposition and how much is intelligence. Some IQ studies show males with a higher standard deviation of IQ (but about the same mode).
It could be modified by women being less likely to show off. I've seen the most competent women suffering from self doubts, while the most incompetent men were oozing self confidence.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old May 26, 2003, 15:18   #49
VJ
King

Local Time: 02:20
Quote:
I've seen the most competent women suffering from self doubts, while the most incompetent men were oozing self confidence.
This is something what I have noticed, too.
Old May 26, 2003, 15:23   #50
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144

surely you arent serious
Yup. I'll be laughing at all those obnoxious kids who didn't try hard in school as I drive in my BMW with my beautiful wife, through a puddle, splashing them with muddy water as they walk by.

Now I'm not serious.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old May 26, 2003, 15:46   #51
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

no, the whole thing about being a loser cause your wife makes more than you. are you planning on meeting your wife in the while, clubbing her, and then dragging her back to your cave to make little primates?
Old May 26, 2003, 16:08   #52
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:20
Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler

It could be modified by women being less likely to show off. I've seen the most competent women suffering from self doubts, while the most incompetent men were oozing self confidence.
Yeah, I already said that there were two variables at play (temperment and intelligence distribution). The are of course confounding, so a proper study would work on isolating them and determining which is most significant. If both occur. &ct.
Old May 26, 2003, 16:19   #53
Az
Emperor

Quote:
no, the whole thing about being a loser cause your wife makes more than you. are you planning on meeting your wife in the while, clubbing her, and then dragging her back to your cave to make little primates?
Preparing your strategy for excuses to your wife of why you bring a shitty paycheque. "I thought we were in the 21st century! this is bullshit!".

Smart man!

Old May 26, 2003, 18:28   #54
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

man, im gonna be an audio engineer...theres no way im gonna make huge money.
Old May 26, 2003, 18:28   #55
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Marry rich .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 26, 2003, 19:04   #56
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 21:20
if ur worried about being a loser for ur wife supporting the family, I got a slick strategy.

Marry a rich person
Divorce
Steal half of the assets
Marry a poor person

yay! u wont feel like a loser
Old May 26, 2003, 19:07   #57
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Marry rich .
thats the plan!
Old May 26, 2003, 20:47   #58
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144
man, im gonna be an audio engineer...theres no way im gonna make huge money.
What you do with your money is more important than how much you make. My girlfriend makes 6 figures, while I make less than half that. Yet my balance sheet has my net worth at about 3-4 times hers. She's going to have to pour it on to catch up to me. And no, her salary doesn't bother me in the least, I'm happy for her.
Old May 26, 2003, 20:50   #59
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
if ur worried about being a loser for ur wife supporting the family, I got a slick strategy.

Marry a rich person
Divorce
Steal half of the assets
Marry a poor person

yay! u wont feel like a loser
I like the plan, but I suggest that you change one item:

Instead of marrying a poor person, may I suggest marrying a younger person who has surgically enhanced secondary sexual characteristics and looks damned good in the passenger seat of your convertable. Poor is probably better here, but not necessarily critical.
Old May 26, 2003, 20:53   #60
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

well, i do manage my money really well. but still i love having all sorts of recording equipment at home. thank god im moving more towards computer based stuff rather than hardware. although some day i will have some hardware synths.